I Played The Fender Tone Master Amps Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Perhaps these companies, now they've seen how successful Fender have been, will be rushing to do their own versions of their classic amps... or have them in the pipeline already. NAMM 2020 may proove interesting.

The-Kid likes this.
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

I could see Vox doing a fully analog AC30 with Nutube's in preamps..class D power Section....make it super light with a birch ply pine cab......

Who knows about Marshall.

3. Bswailes

Bswailes Tele-Holic

Had 2 of them. Big and clunky, but great sounds. Love the sound, hated the hauling.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

just in for 2020 NAMM accessoires
    prototype for all Tone master series amps, fully compatible to original classic amps*
    (*bottom may drop out)
    :D

Gewicht_-_5_Kilo_-_10_Pfund.jpg

5. shokunin_84

shokunin_84 TDPRI Member

I spent about an hour with the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb this morning at Guitar Center. I brought in my full pedal board as well as my Nashville Telecaster and my 335. I was the only customer in the store so I asked if I could crank it and they obliged. My current amp is a Fender Blues Junior IV and I've owned, gigged with, and ultimately sold the following amps over the last twenty years, never being quite satisfied with the tone:
    • Silverface Vibro Champ
    • Vox AC15
    • Hot Rod Deluxe
    • Blues Deluxe
    • Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket
    • Custom Vibrolux (2000's Zinky Designed)
    • Swart Space Tone Tremolo
    • A handful of Quilter Amps (101 Reverb, Aviator Gold, and MicroPro Mach 2 HD)
    • The Seymour Duncan power stage with a couple of preamps (ethos clean, effectrode blackbird).
    With every one of these amps, I love the tone at home, or in a practice setting but on a gig, there's always something that catches my ear and makes me want to upgrade the speaker or mod the circuitry or just outright get rid of the amp. Strident high end, inarticulate low end, harsh breakup at higher volumes, not enough power, too much power, etc.

This weekend I'm going to buy a Tone Master and I think I'm going to love it. Here's why. At every "attenuation" setting, every volume level, whether gainy or totally clean, and with every pedal on my board, the Tone Master delivered consistent, clear, and musical tone. Ultimately, I need consistency at multiple volume levels for multiple different settings. I play in church, in bars, at outdoor festivals, and at home and each of those settings has a particular set of needs. I'm betting that the Tone Master Deluxe can provide me what I need reliably. Thankfully, I've got a handful of gigs in each of those settings (except an outdoor festival) coming up in the next 30 days so if the Tone Master doesn't deliver, Guitar Center's 45 day return policy has me covered. At this point I don't care if it has tubes or not. That ship sailed a long time ago for me. What I care about is whether the amp can consistently deliver what I need and work with my gear. So if it isn't already clear, I loved the sound of this amp and that's more than I can say about any of the amps I listed above. I bought each of these with some reservations thinking I could "make it work" with pedals, EQ, etc. I didn't have the same feeling about the Tone Master. The genres I need to cover include blues, gospel, worship, jazz, and Americana and I think the Tone Master Deluxe will cover all of these with no problem. I'll post a follow-up once I've had a chance to really put it through its paces.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

5Kg equals 10lbs? o_O

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I might have to break down and get one, too. The XLR out with cab simulation alone is a wonderful feature for gigging.

The other guitar player in my band just bought one so I can't wait to try it out.

The hardest part will be deciding whether to let any of my tube amps go. My current operating theory is that I'll keep
    my tube amps as long as my tube amp repair guy stays in business. When he stops repairing amps then I'll start selling them
    off, I guess. Just to make room for a TMDR I'd probably sell one tube amp off but keep the rest for now.

8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

picked up another tone master this week ... stuff is good..at any volume..just think it has MV & pre & post on each channel with a pres..res--treble then an extra gain stage..what does this Mississippi tone master do best..set it nuetral p90 neck...& hum bridge ..any and everything at any level..i mean the beast is non tone restricted..multi genre animal ...will out live all off us...but not one new tone will ever be invented it can't handle..thats even before ya stick a pedal in it.. Ultra 2 (2).jpg

9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Let us know how the TMDeluxe works at your gigs. I have played my Twin out a number of times and am far beyond impressed with it. My band mates feel the same way about it.

10. shokunin_84

shokunin_84 TDPRI Member

Well folks, it certainly passes the “playing guitar while the kids are asleep and still enjoy your tone” test. It takes pedals extremely well. I played it w/ the attenuator set to 12w and turned it up a bit and my wife (who can easily tell the difference between tube and solid state) said, “That amp sounds amazing. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds once the tubes warm up.” She was floored when I told her there were no tubes. As I mentioned before I’ve had a handful of solid state amp setups (with and without tube preamps) and with each of them her response was, sounds pretty good but it’s not a tube amp. So she’s got a good ear for tone - and she couldn’t tell the difference. Now let’s see if it passes the band mate test.

11. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

You should have played along and asked how it sounded 45 minutes later..lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.