I Played The Fender Tone Master Amps Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Sep 10, 2019.

1. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

You can quote techs all you want. My point remains... The tone masters are light years better.

You sniff the schematics and I'll make music.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ignatius and amorica like this.
  2. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

I have to laugh at folks that think that their experience is the be all and end all for themselves...and everyone else.
    Either pro OR con on an issue.

Use what works for you and don't use what doesn't...or...as a much wiser man once summed up his personal philosophy:
    "
    Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.
    -Bruce Lee, the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do (the Way of the Intercepting Fist) [​IMG]

esetter and Ignatius like this.
  3. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sniffing anything, thanks.

The Tone Masters are light years better than what, exactly?

4. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

I’m really not gonna do this with you. Play coy if you choose.
    [​IMG]

Tom

5. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I'll take the tube version for 500 Alex.

6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hope you get everything you desire. Happy holidays.

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Pretty content. Merry Christmas.

Otis Fine likes this.
  8. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Where can you find a new tube Deluxe or Twin for $500?

RevBillyG likes this.
  9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I found one mint with a vintage 30 and the original speaker on FB market place. Just saying they’re out there. I see em for 6 to 7 hundred. Remember with these you can’t do mods or tube rolling. Just a speaker swap. I got a great deal on mine.

Attached Files:

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I'll be playing a party with my TMTR this weekend, I'm going to take a second amp, probably my Blues Deluxe, and use them wet/dry. I expect to have a great time (and a great tone). The last couple of times I played out, I only used the Tone Master; both gigs were great, but I missed not having the wet/dry going on.

amorica likes this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I finally got to play a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb yesterday. I have a '76 Deluxe Reverb that sounds as good as any Deluxe I've ever heard, and I'd play that Tonemaster in a second. It's fantastic. Fender nailed the sound of a Deluxe Reverb with this thing, the power scaling works really well, and it's super light with a nice pine cabinet.

One thing that stuck with me is that the Tonemaster sounds -- and I don't know exactly what I mean by this -- almost produced. That is to say, it's as if what's coming out of the speaker has already gone through post-production. Its sound is very pure, and, of course, hiss-free. In that respect, I think it sounds better than a vintage Deluxe Reverb.

The only concern I'd still have at this point is how well the technology will age and wear over time.

Ignatius, amorica and RetroTeleRod like this.
  12. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I got mine a couple of years back with all RCA tubes in it within that price range. In 50 years time, some other person will likely still be playing through it.

Strato50 likes this.
  13. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Knoxville GC just got in a TR Tonemaster. Looking forward to trying it out over the next few days. Place was packed this past weekend. Looked like a lot of geetars leaving the building.

14. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve noticed that on the couple of modellers that I’ve owned. A Johnson J-Station and a Mustang III V2.

I really like the Mustang. But I’ve owned my ‘66 Deluxe Reverb for 30 years and the Deluxe Reverb model on the Mustang sounds like a recording of a Deluxe Reverb, not a live amp.

I don’t mean that as negative, I really like the Mustang’s sound. Just curious why they still sound “produced” rather than live.

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I haven't played any of these new Fenders and probably won't....got all I need already. But, your comment is interesting because that's exactly how I described the sound of the earlier modelling amps...Line 6's and such. It sounded like a recording of the particular amp selected being played through the speaker of the modelling amp...the modelling amp itself did not magically turn into the selected amp....it was weird.

16. ekaplan

ekaplan TDPRI Member

I wanted to comment on this. There is one huge difference between these Fender Tone Master modeling amps and what others provide. The Tone Master amps model an amp and a cab and model the sound of an amp and a cab. The Kemper, Helix, Iridium and the others model the sound of a mic'd amp and cab. In other words, the Tone Master will sound (and feel) much more like an amp in the room, while the other modeling amps will sound (and feel) like a mic'd amp you are hearing through the PA system.

I am waiting (and hoping) for Fender, Vox or some other company to come out with a Tone Master AC30 with 2 12" neo speakers that weighs 33 pounds, or a Tone Master AC30S1 with a single 12" neo speaker that weighs 25 pounds or less. I want the "amp in a room" experience--not the mic'd amp and cab through a PA system experience.

Fender, Vox, and others -- please develop one!

17. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

I do believe Vox has a better shot at making ones that hit the mark with the NuTube tech

18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

There are no NuTube power amp tubes. Those of us who own and play out with the Tone Masters find them to be more than excellent for the purpose. An AC30 using the same tech as the Tone Masters would be a wonderful thing as long as the modeling circuitry and software were of the same quality.

RevBillyG likes this.
  19. ekaplan

ekaplan TDPRI Member

NuTube isn't a modeling technology, though, and I suspect it will not sound similar to an AC15 or AC30. However, I do think they could use pine and new speakers to reduce the weight.

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Holic

Youd still be able to squeze stuff out of it in the preamp to a good degree and and use a 3-4 of them for this purpose vs 12ax7. The MV line definately wasnt a Vox-ToneMaster so to speak in that sense so that doesnt count.

They could use 3-4 Nutubes in Preamp and uss the Class D power amps tech to Make the power section.

Pretty much take the same AC30 and slap all the Nutubes in the preamp and use a high quality Class D amp for power section like Quilter does. So it is possible no?

Maybe wouldnt be the same as an AC30 for sure but it would be the analog alternative and get as close to the AC30 not using tubes the way the ToneMaster isnt exactly the same as the real thing but as close as it can without actually using tubes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.