I Played The Fender Tone Master Amps Today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

Apples and oranges comparison. The OX was originally designed to crank your tube amp to the sweet spot for recording and bedroom use. But plenty of people use them on stage.

Regardless, they make everything that goes in sound like gold at managable levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Maybe read the first part of my statement.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I fully understand that but the Tone Master theoretically lets you crank the amp to the sweet spot for recording and bedroom use as well with its power scaling feature and that's the point I was trying to make.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  4. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

No worries. I feel your pain. No one ever informed is we would get old abd have to carry around 60 pound of iron just for our music to be heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonyorker likes this.
  5. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I played the Tone Master Twin Reverb at GC today, and as luck would have it, there was a TRRI sitting right beside it. I was able to a/b them.

My take...I could probably use the Tone Master on a gig and be ok with it. It sounds pretty good. But I'm sorry, it does NOT sound like a Twin Reverb with tubes. In full power mode, I cranked the TM to 8, and it was just somewhat loud, the Twin I never got past about 3.5. I tried some of the other power settings and they seemed to do what they are supposed to do.

The TM did not have the sparkle of the TRRI. I tried turning up the treble, turning on the bright switch. It just doesn't have it. It did not have the rich bottom to it either, was just a bit flat.

I'm confident that in a blind test (live, not on the internet) I could DEFINITELY tell the difference. And it's not a small difference.

I was disappointed, but not really surprised, this has been my experience with ss and modeling amps. As a backline amp, I'd be ok with it, but I wouldn't buy it.

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

giphy.gif

stuffinplays and RetroTeleRod like this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Too slow!

Alamo likes this.
  8. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

OK, whoever wrote this post is obviously an idiot. :D

A Tone Master Princeton Reverb! I am guessing it would be about 20 to 21 lbs / just under 10 Kg, small, easy to load, and would sound great, and maybe $699. How cool would that be?

How did I forget about the Princeton when I originally posted?

ukepicker and Jwalker99 like this.
  9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Finally a review by someone who didn’t buy one. My buddy in Dallas tried one and said pretty much the same thing. It’s a glorified modeling amp. And he is a serious player who I know would not just make stuff up. He said he actually likes the Roland better for a solid state amp. More options and just better tone.

Jwalker99 likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

A real world side by side... nice to see for a change, and is an honest opinion of how the two amps stack up... as they are sold.

My concern is the immediate assumption that the difference must be "tube vs digital"... without first ruling out the differences in speakers. I'd like to know if they compromised tone by going digital, or if they compromised tone by trying to lighten the amp with NEO speakers. Or, possibly a combo of both.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    ukepicker and jonyorker like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

Putting aside the loudness question, could any of the difference in tone be a question of speaker break in?

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I just came back from GC myself. I spent 2 hours with my PRS and my dB meter A/Bing the two Twin models and the two DR models. Results were, myself, three adult customers trying other equipment, the associates and the tech could not tell the difference in tone between the models when using the same settings. The ONLY difference I found was that the Tone Masters were not quite as loud as the standard models. It was however a small difference. The Twins, on a volume setting of 5 registered 103 dB for the standard and 101 dB for the Tone master. The meter was sitting on the top left side of both amps.

I actually preferred the reverb on the Tone Master. Both amps were fresh in the door and out of the boxes (I helped unpack them) and it was the first time any one there had heard them.

I am now the tickled pink owner of the Twin, and I was able to carry it out of the shop and into my house easier than I did my Blues Deluxe.

matrix, pugnax, stuffinplays and 30 others like this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Anything is possible, and this was just a 10-minute side-by-side test in the store.

My impression is that it sounds like a ss or modeling amp, and does not sound much like a Twin Reverb.

It has a nice sound, but it's not the same. As I said, I could use it and it would be ok, but I don't see myself buying one.

I want to try the TM Deluxe, but I'm much less hopeful now.

14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats!

rze99 likes this.
  15. RCinMempho

RCinMempho Friend of Leo's

2 X 12 lighter than my BDRI. Uh oh. Just the tonality from the extra speaker alone may make it tempting.

Thanks for the review!

16. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

I played a Blues Deluxe for a number of years and want to try the new Twin when it hits my local shops.
    The Blues Deluxe is 45 lbs.
    The Twin is 33 lbs.
    That's a weight savings of over 20%

Alamo likes this.
  17. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Are the channels out of phase on the toastmasters?

Edit: nevermind I'm leaving it

bromdenlong and backporchmusic like this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

[​IMG]

NewKid, RetroTeleRod and bromdenlong like this.
  19. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I will wait until all the hoopla is over. You can pick one up a half price.

stuffinplays and NewKid like this.
  20. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find the close juxtaposition of your post with that of @Durtdog to be hilarious.

FWIW my impression of the Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb tracks yours of the Twin. Except that the Tonemaster DR is slightly louder and punchier in our band mix than either DRRI I used previously the band.

RetroTeleRod, TeleTex82 and Lef T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.