I played an electric National resonator today.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 17, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

This one - link.

And I must stay... WOW was I floored. It was set up perfectly... brilliantly. And was very, very loud acoustically. It is a full metal body, and was reminiscent of a steel body Trussart, but with way more resonator vibe to it.

There was a moment when I first plugged in (into a Dr. Z Z-Luxe) that I could not even hear the amp over the guitar. The (super-nice) salesman who was helping me was trying to be cautious with the amp volume, and had not turned the amp up enough to overcome the guitar. We finally got a good balance, but that was the coolest thing - the balance between the two... it just worked.

I fingerpicked some country blues stuff that I do, and even my wife commented, "That guitar sounds beautiful."

I don't generally run to P90s, but this one sounded terrific.

Now... to figure out a way to get it.

lwynzjcwpfjahadt6c84.jpg

oqqrsip4jpziexwnzcdk.jpg

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I am so afraid to go there.:eek: I just know I'd like it.:cry:

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Those and the resolectrics are such cool guitars. It says the neck is slim profile. What did you think?

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

Like a Fender American Standard.

Slim compared to big acoustic necks... yes. Not slim for an electric. I mean, it’s not a baseball bat, but it’s not an Ibanez either.

straightface likes this.
  5. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I guess it probably doesn’t matter since those aren’t available as a lefty, but maybe someday...

6. TheGoodTexan

The Dr. Z amp was set to the very, very edge of break up. Meaning, just light fingerpicking stayed clean but edgy, but when I hit it hard, it responded in kind. The Lollar P90 is no joke. Not sure what the other pickup is, but it blended with the P90 superbly... like having an extra tone control.

Obsessed and Paul in Colorado like this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

Man, I hate that for you. But I know its something that leftys deal with their entire life.

straightface likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Look cool and looks like it has a low action too. I had a Gretsch bobtail steel and couldn't get the action low enough for my liking so sold it. It wasn't growly enough for me either. I bet that p90 sounds awesome in that guitar.

Zepfan and TheGoodTexan like this.
  9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

That looks like a lot of fun.

I've got it's super cheap hacked up old fiberglass cousin that had a gold foil pickup installed way back when:

[​IMG]

10. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I am trying to trade for a resoelectric. Kinda multi-faceted tone. When I get mine, I will sell my National lap steel resonator 1950 ish.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  11. johnDH

johnDH TDPRI Member

That National is gorgeous!

I just scratched that same itch, at an entry level, with this Chinese-built electro-resonator:

https://hobgoblin.com/ashbury-ar-38-resonator-guitar-electro

I love it. It looks dead cool, plays decently, is well made and sounds great. The electro sound is just a humbucker.though, kind of like a normal hollow-body with just a bit of the res. I'm thinking of a project to mix a p90 with a small mic......

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Seeing these guys on Sun Studios Sessions made me want a Electric Reso.
    I made a 4 string Gas Can-jo guitar with a humbucker with coil split that sounds great and then I put a aluminum skillet in a plywood Strat body with a piezo and 2 large single coil pickups, it turned out much better than I hoped. One day I'm going to make a real nice Electric Reso.

TheGoodTexan and Grant Austin like this.
  13. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

mmmmmmmmm..... P90............. me wanty that!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I know a shop that will stock these guitars. I mustn't go there. :rolleyes:

Don't usually like National pickups- but I really like Lollars. Alarm bells are ringing in my head.

I like fat National necks- not so keen on AmStandard types. I'm sure I could adapt...….:eek:

I like lightweight electric guitars, that have no feedback issues. I'm sure I could work around any problems with this one. ;)

I particularly like the 'Diver's helmet' design touch, around the pickup switch. I'm not a big fan of the UK retail price recommendation, for these. (The pound continues to tank against....everything:()

I could put one of these to use immediately. It was a very bad idea, opening this thread. :lol::D:p

Obsessed and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I have played a couple in one local place that stocks them. They're really cool, but expensive as one would be a "niche" guitar for me. I suppose if I spent a couple of years playing slide and got to the point I did it a lot, I might get one. But for now I'll stare at them with wonder.

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aaaaagh! I thought my GAS was properly under control! I am really drawn to this guitar. Fortunately it is WAY out of my price range.

17. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had a nice long visit with Jason and the boys at national in 2016. All kinds of crazy cool stuff they were working on but I didn’t see that one.

That’s fantastic.

As far as new reso’s go - there’s NRP and then just everybody else.

The mandolin that they’ve sold for 15+ years now is one of the best mandolins of any kind you’ll ever play - they are fantastic.

I’d love one of their thunder boxes, I had an Estralita and my favorite was an early Islander (like Corey Harris’s) with a 30’s cone in it.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

I’ll let you guys in on a secret.

I think my wife may have put a deposit on that guitar.

After I played it for about 15 mins, we both left the store and walked around the shopping area a bit. I walked into a used vinyl store and thumbed through some things. She said, “While you do that, I’m going to check out that antiques store around the corner.”

-ok-

I may be completely wrong, but I think she might have gone back and put a deposit on that guitar. I’m finishing up with a degree in December that I’ve been working on for five years. That’s just about enough time for her to be able to pay on it without busting our monthly budget. So she may get it for me as a gift.

The MSRP was $4000. The regular sale price at the store was $3650.

The lady who was helping us said that they were moving locations and were willing to make big cuts on a few items in the store, and that was one of them. I asked for the lowest price they’d sell it for. She left, then came back with.. $2700.

That’s still a chunk of change. But my wife may have decided that it would be a good graduation gift for me. It would not be unprecedented - she’s bought three other guitars for me over the years (including a $2500 Taylor), and several pedals too.

So We’ll see. I’ll dig up this thread in mid-December and report back.

TeleTex82, dougstrum, Flaneur and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I hope it ends up in your hands. Some instruments are just meant to be.

Mike Eskimo and TheGoodTexan like this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I came back to this thread just hoping for you to re-visit to the store. My wife is the one that gave me the push for my National, so I think the stars are lining up for you.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.