I Played a Fender Deluxe 'vintage modified' ... a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Si G X, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

https://reverb.com/item/2863212-fen...ay-vintage-modified-40-watt-1x12-guitar-combo

^^^ this model.

I used one of these at band practice tonight, just into the clean channel with an OCD ... all the other effects off. I thought it sounded really really good, like I kind of want one good.

I notice on that listing it says it's 40w so I'm guessing it's a different amp altogether from most deluxes? Does this even sound like a 'real' deluxe? like the current RI models? (I've never played through one before.) Are these always less desirable/less expensive? (£353 to me) is half of what deluxe models go for it seems..

Sorry for all the nooby questions, Played Marshalls most of my life.

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve never plugged into one nor have I seen one on stage- but from what I’ve read, it’s not much like a typical Deluxe .
    This version has a solid state preamp going into a dual 6L6 power section. Built in digital effects.
    Sort of like some of the Music Man Amps.

If you like the sound though, why not?

Tim S and Si G X like this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No it's really nothing to do with any Leo or CBS era Fender. It's got almost nothing to do with the 65 or 68 or handwired Deluxe Reverb reissues except for being a 112 amp. They use 6V6 output sections, tube rectifier and 6 preamp tubes for two channels of which one is and tube-driven reverb and tremolo (Leo labelled it vibrato).

It's as noted solidstate with ss rectified 6L6 output section. It has a drive and more-drive channel.

The biggest issue is they are a bit chintzy in the build department and component quality. Can last for years but if it breaks, bit of a pain to work on. They're known for grid resistor issues and poor soldering. PCB mounted tubes - not brilliant.

If you like it, buy it.

Wally and Si G X like this.
  4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Ah thanks both, that's really interesting.

I had no idea I wasn't playing through an all valve amp... Well I think I just learned something anyway, an SS preamp into a valve power section sounds great.

Ok, with all that in mind I'll keep an eye out and see if I can pick one up cheap sometime in the future, thanks!

5. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

And you’ll carry that belief until you play through a really great 100% tube amp in its sweet spot.

Ripradiant likes this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Well it was the first time I've not played through a 100% tube amp since about 1992 and I was impressed and surprised. Most of us run SS pre-amps into valves anyway in the form of drive pedals, so it's not much different.

I'll be back to my Marshall next week anyway, it was only a borrow.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I took one of these in on a trade deal. It was a dead amp, so I had very little in it. I sold the cab and speaker to a fellow who wanted it for a speaker cab. I was not interested in putting any effort into repairing the amp.
    I once read that Leo Fender was of the opinion that the Music Man amp’s, in which he had little involvement in the designing, had it backwards in that the preamp should have been tube and the output would have been solid state. I agree with him.....IF one wanted a hybrid design. Ommv....

LuthRavin likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

As others have said, it's not DR design or tone. The Deluxe Reverb VM and Bandmaster Reverb VM share the same 2 x 6L6, 40 Watt brains. In addition to previously mentioned issues, they share the same difficult to find PT with a low voltage secondary for the solid state section.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to parts this chassis out...sell the transformers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.