I play fast (i listened to a recording of myself)

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
so this morning i recorded myself playing the ramones blitzkrieg bop...and i checked their live version...and i was faster than them

i played with no backing track...just me hearing me...which when i recorded myself...i sound way faster than me playing live

when i heard what i recorded...i was like...i dont sound that fast as im playing it...weird...is that normal?

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
I think you're saying you started the song at the wrong speed because you had no reference, but didn't realise until you compared it to another version.

Perhaps next time you may play it too slow!

I wouldn't say that is unusual, but I have experienced that some people seem to have almost a built in metronome. They can feel the tempo of a song and play on their own at the 'correct' speed and really get into the groove of the song.

Others are not so good at this and whilst they may play perfectly in time in a band situation or along to a track, they have yet to develop that internal rhythm and can struggle playing to a consistent beat and tempo (e.g. variances in speed, unintentionally skipping beats).

Also, some people don't listen to the music they creating when they are playing, perhaps because they are distracted by the playing itself.

I often play to a metronome when learning, especially when I'm learning classical guitar and piano. That helps keep things in check and trains me to feel the tempo before I start playing a piece and helps me stick to it without rushing on the easy parts and slowing down on the hard ones.

I also record my playing and listen back because there will be things I've not picked up need working on as I'm too engrossed in the technique and getting it right.

Keep recording and listening back and don't be afraid to practice with a metronome!

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I find that singing the song, even off-mic, helps me understand the right tempo, but finding the actual tempo of a song using a metronome app and then keeping to that time is much more helpful. You can do that and then use Garageband or some other tool to create a drum track. That will help you immensely with timing, if that is indeed an issue.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The entire struggle I have with guitar playing is timing. Practicing with a looper seems to be the only way to keep me honest. I practice with a metronome and I spend hours re-recording on my originals, and yet, timing is really still my only real problem. Playing guitar, that is.:D

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
It's normal to get swept up in playing a song that's fun to play. I would put on the recording and match the time with a metronome. When the song is over, keep the metronome running and play it yourself. That should help synch your internal Ramones clock.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
In my 50+ years in music, I've left a lot of metronomes in my wake. Hate 'em, just hate 'm. I use them to set tempo in my compositions. But playing along with them feels so mechanical, inexpressive, and unmusical that I just can't get next to it.* It's the same thing with backing tracks. I use them all the time, now that it is such a struggle to play live.

I'd imagine that being able to play along musically with a click track or backing track, will be a very useful ability in the professional work.

Si G X

Tele-Afflicted
Are you playing it properly with all down strokes? .... if not that will slow you down.

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I read that a few times, and i don't quite get the meaning of your message. You play faster when you record yourself? It might be the stress.

oh sorry...ok i recorded myself...its a ramones song and its usually played fast...as i am playing it sounds like i am playing at a speed like it should be at...but when i play back the recording...i was like...whys it sound so fast now

does that make more sense

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I think you're saying you started the song at the wrong speed because you had no reference, but didn't realise until you compared it to another version.

Perhaps next time you may play it too slow!

I wouldn't say that is unusual, but I have experienced that some people seem to have almost a built in metronome. They can feel the tempo of a song and play on their own at the 'correct' speed and really get into the groove of the song.

Others are not so good at this and whilst they may play perfectly in time in a band situation or along to a track, they have yet to develop that internal rhythm and can struggle playing to a consistent beat and tempo (e.g. variances in speed, unintentionally skipping beats).

Also, some people don't listen to the music they creating when they are playing, perhaps because they are distracted by the playing itself.

I often play to a metronome when learning, especially when I'm learning classical guitar and piano. That helps keep things in check and trains me to feel the tempo before I start playing a piece and helps me stick to it without rushing on the easy parts and slowing down on the hard ones.

I also record my playing and listen back because there will be things I've not picked up need working on as I'm too engrossed in the technique and getting it right.

Keep recording and listening back and don't be afraid to practice with a metronome!

thanks for the tips!

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I find that singing the song, even off-mic, helps me understand the right tempo, but finding the actual tempo of a song using a metronome app and then keeping to that time is much more helpful. You can do that and then use Garageband or some other tool to create a drum track. That will help you immensely with timing, if that is indeed an issue.

my playing has many issues...ill check it out

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's normal to get swept up in playing a song that's fun to play. I would put on the recording and match the time with a metronome. When the song is over, keep the metronome running and play it yourself. That should help synch your internal Ramones clock.

thanks for the idea!

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In my 50+ years in music, I've left a lot of metronomes in my wake. Hate 'em, just hate 'm. I use them to set tempo in my compositions. But playing along with them feels so mechanical, inexpressive, and unmusical that I just can't get next to it.* It's the same thing with backing tracks. I use them all the time, now that it is such a struggle to play live.

I'd imagine that being able to play along musically with a click track or backing track, will be a very useful ability in the professional work.

ill look into it...ill dl an app

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Are you playing it properly with all down strokes? .... if not that will slow you down.

oh yes...im all about down strokes...in fact i have problem playing up and down stroke songs as i almost only played down strokes like johnny ramone...as a beginner i read that most punk songs were down strokes and thats my interest mainly so i never did up and down strokes much

when a song has up and down swtrokes i tend to just play it with down strokes

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
oh sorry...ok i recorded myself...its a ramones song and its usually played fast...as i am playing it sounds like i am playing at a speed like it should be at...but when i play back the recording...i was like...whys it sound so fast now

does that make more sense
yeah it does. Could be the stress of recording. i don't know. I can hear it in my head, i think it is something like 170 bpm - i tapped it on a metronome.

here is what i found on the internut.
"The song was originally played at a very fast tempo (roughly 177 bpm). When the band performed the song live, they started to play it at even faster tempos, gradually increasing the speed throughout their career. At the band's final show, they played the song at an extremely fast tempo well above 200 bpm."

final live show version

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
yeah it does. Could be the stress of recording. i don't know. I can hear it in my head, i think it is something like 170 bpm - i tapped it on a metronome.

here is what i found on the internut.
"The song was originally played at a very fast tempo (roughly 177 bpm). When the band performed the song live, they started to play it at even faster tempos, gradually increasing the speed throughout their career. At the band's final show, they played the song at an extremely fast tempo well above 200 bpm."

final live show version

Woe!

At that pace they could play ALL of their albums during the show.....twice!