I picked correctly, but it’s pretty close...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 4pickupguy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I picked it out, there were times where I almost changed my answer, both sound pretty good to me. Not a ‘let’s hate on new tech’ thread, please. There is a point in the demo where ‘sag’ reveals the DRRI. Think of all the gigs where you would rather have the TM? I can think of a few.

P.S. I listened over my phone speakers for what that’s worth.

Listen and pick:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It was not hard to pick the correct one. I am listening on M-Audio BX8 speakers. Funny how they neglect to mention that the tube version is a DRRI... I wonder how the comparison would sound compared with a serviced vintage amp. I owned a DRRI and a SRRI and sold them both because I preferred the sound of the original blackface and silverface amps.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's

I also didn't think it was hard from that video.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I picked it out right away. I can see where it may be difficult if listening thru stock PC speakers or your phone. I'm running into an 800w powered mixer thru 2 15 inch monitors and a FRFR speaker tower.

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I guessed it right but I'm really not very good at that kind of thing.
    Amp 1 just sounded a little crispier too me.

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

It wasn't so long ago that modeling amps first hit the scene. Those (IMHO) were miles away from what they were trying emulate. These days they are getting pretty close. If I was playing a sub gig or upstairs somewhere that I had a long slog to the stage I would consider a TM perfect for the job. I would gladly pay $600 for a new TM Deluxe for a backup (I believe over priced). They will soon start hitting the used market, we will see what they fetch then. They have a few nice features like direct out etc, that would make them an even better sub gig amp. My fear is Fender may want to discontinue the tube offerings.

jimash and rangercaster like this.
  7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fender and others will make tube amps as long as people will buy them ... It's not about what is good ... It's about what sells ... If tube amps become unprofitable ... They will disappear ... Like horseless carriages and buggy whips ...

Mad Kiwi, AlbertaGriff and Piggy Stu like this.
  8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Most of the money in pricing is the expense to make it "look" like a DR. I think they should (or could) put all that software and TM chips in a little box like Mark or Quilter and sell it for $200 to $300 instead or playing on the hype of the "look" and market it for what it is and not what it is not. Neither sounded bad but it was not hard to tell the difference. It will be interesting to see what the longevity of the TM series and the failure rate.

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Spot-on!

I think the real "victims" of the Tonemaster series will be the DRRI & TRRI. Frankly they are redundant; being a copy to begin with - & albeit good; but not THAT great of a copy compared to the real deal (bf & up to 1970 sf). So the Tonemaster - in that case- make more sense.

They might pay the ultimate price very soon :) :) :)

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fender will attempt to market and sell profitable products ... Or they will fail as a business ... As a consumer, you have a choice

BobbyZ likes this.
  11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Our lead player got the Twin TM. After 5 or so gigs now, he's very happy with it. He previously giged RI Twins, both BF & SF.

tidalcast and 4pickupguy like this.
  12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

There's a link to a page (in another thread that has the same video posted in it) that tells that it's Andy's own DRRI. I assume it's the one he's been using for awhile, which means that it's most likely been serviced/rebiased/etc. It could have an aftermarket speaker, the bright cap could have been snipped, and who knows what else.

...But they're just selling stuff, so it doesn't matter, and you could argue that if the average user is looking to buy a DR, they probably aren't considering getting an older one, so a comparison of the two current ones is much more relevant.

For many of the hardcore gear nerds, like us, here, it's at least partly obvious that we'd probably love to see a bunch of videos comparing the older DRs, and we could get into the nitty gritty regarding how they were serviced, if they used NOS tubes, how they were biased, is the original speaker being used, or is it a Weber, an EV, a recone, is it alnico, is it ceramic, etc. etc...

...The problem with much of this is all the variation, even if you took two (same year) DRs that had been serviced similarly, with the bias set the same, and same/similar speakers. The better videos would probably have some kind of "control group," but then they could potentially get too long and boring for many viewers, IMO.

13. 4pickupguy

Yeah, neither amp in that video sounds bad. We are to the point of sawing BB’s now. If you consider how many people gig Katanas, Line6s, Kempers etc, then this market is already pretty competitive.
    My current rig is a pretty decent analog preamp into solid state class D powered cabs that sounds very Super Reverby, yet I am buying a ‘68 CDR soon. A light weight TM backup for practices and sub gigs, jams etc would be cool for the right price.

14. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

Back in the day we didn't worry about any of this. We just enjoyed playing and putting on a good show. No body in the audience really gave a crap as long as the music was good.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I agree they both sounded good.....and I guessed WRONG about which was which. I mostly gig with a 15 watt Vox Pathfinder 15R, rehoused in a cabinet with a 12" speaker, or another PF 15R with four 8" speakers, so I don't think I'm prejudiced against anything NOT tubes. But I would have to play a Tone Master to really give an opinion. I used to gig an older BF Deluxe Reverb, and/or a BF Deluxe (no reverb). They were both heavenly!

16. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Hey Rangercaster! ,,, just 'funnin' with ya,,, but it seems that the 'horseless carriage' is still pretty popular..

peace ,,, RM

Mad Kiwi and AlbertaGriff like this.
  17. tidalcast

tidalcast Tele-Meister

Listen man this “making sense” thing won’t get you anywhere, you really need to spend more time moaning that people are making a product you don’t care for.

Mad Kiwi and Lef T like this.
  18. Apache Snow

Apache Snow TDPRI Member

I'm sorry, I guess I need to get with the program. LOL

tidalcast and Lef T like this.
  19. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Apparently I have angered the herd by expressing an opinion, on a thread that asked for an opinion. So yes, you'd better get your mind right or face the shunning/

Apache Snow likes this.
  20. 4pickupguy

All opinions welcome for sure, but, this appears to be your first post?;)
    Another thread maybe?

Wally and jimash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.