"I owe you a new amp."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Apr 15, 2019.

1. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Haven't heard that one in a long time! Nice.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Imagining the interaction when you say that part puts a smile on my face.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Can't believe no one has linked Albert Collins' Master charge.

Nubs likes this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The quid pro quo thing has never been a part of our marriage either. In saying "I owe you an amp," my wife wasn't referencing some "tit for tat" rule that has governed our marriage. I think Ex-riverman basically had it right when he talked about guilt. This Sunday is our 46th anniversary, and so she wanted something new to wear for that celebration. And there's a business related event coming up that she wanted a new outfit for, as well as just spring shopping. She buys clothes several times a year, but she's never been extravagant in her spending habits, and so she felt a little guilty about spending several hundred dollars on herself in an afternoon. Consequently, she likened it to the price range of my latest interest.

Obviously, she already knew about my interest in the Vox Mini Super Beetle. I've been curious about it since last summer, and told her about it as soon as it was unveiled at Summer NAMM. And that should give you an insight into my spending habits. I have rarely ever made an impulse buy of gear. I almost always research things to death, and I keep her in the loop. So a couple of weeks ago (or whatever it's been, I lose track of time) when the local GC finally got an MSB25 in, I had her come in to see it and hear it.

Oh, and kelnet, sounds like we're the polar opposite of y'all. I don't really have other hobbies, and as for clothes, well, I don't like shopping for clothes, and my tastes are simple. I'm a boots, blue jeans, T-shirt and hat kind of guy. And as long as my clothes don't have (too many/too big of) holes in them, I don't throw them away. And my family knows that you can't go wrong giving me a tee shirt for Father's Day, Christmas or my birthday, so I rarely buy them myself. I spend $150 or so on a pair of boots every 4-5 years.

We're going on a long weekend trip this weekend, and I have an afternoon gig today and tomorrow, so I won't be buying the Vox MSB25 before then.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  5. LGOberean

It's not the first time I've used that line with her...or others, for that matter. Her reaction when I said that was just a knowing smile to something she's heard me say before. Shoot, after 46 years, there's nothing she hasn't heard me say before! :oops::twisted:

6. LGOberean

[​IMG]

I like the Union Jack version, too. Or the idea of it, anyway. But there's something about that application on the MSB25 that looks a little whommpy-jawed. Plus I just like the classic AC amp look.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Neato!

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have seen pictures but I don’t think it is available yet.

9. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

Didnt really mean QPQ as a negative thing. If my wife wants something and it can be done, we get it. Same for me. We dont wait for Christmas or birthdays. Thats kinda what I was getting at.

Last night my wife pointed out a guitar for sale she saw online. That's awesome stuff right there.

It was a POS, but still.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

This is when you go out and buy a Dumble - your wife wasn't specific and that may hold up in court!

Lake Placid Blue and DaveTone like this.
  11. LGOberean

Cool! :cool: My wife occasionally does that, too. She's on Facebook a lot, and she'll see someone selling a guitar on Facebook Marketplace (or whatever it's called) and give me a heads up. So far, nothing I'm interested in, but like you said, "...but still..."

If I tried that trick, it might hold up in court...divorce court! :twisted:

12. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I go to GC every month to use my String Club card. Once in a while Mrs. Blue goes in with me. She’s not a musician and really has no interest. But she’ll point at guitars she likes and ask why I don’t have “one of those yet.” Occasionally it’s an instrument I’m not interested in. But it has led to the purchase of 5 of my guitars and one bass. Wives are the best.

13. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its like your speaking some sort of foreign language

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.