"I owe you a new amp."

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Apr 15, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

:eek::confused:o_O

That's the first thing my wife greeted me with when I walked through the door. "I owe you a new amp."

I just got back from playing for an assisted living seniors center. Before that me and my wife got out together late this morning. She wanted to do some clothes shopping, I had her drop me off at the local Guitar Center.

Some fellow TDPRIers may know that I've been variously curious about to downright GASing for the Vox Mini Super Beetle. Until a week ago, our local GC wasn't stocking them. When they finally got one in, I gave it a test drive; this was about a week ago. So this morning, while my wife was spring shopping, I test drove it again, for about an hour. I'm interested, but still hadn't pulled the trigger.

Then we had lunch together, and I came home to get ready for my afternoon gig for the seniors, and the wife went back out shopping. She bought a couple of blouses, 2-3 outfits, some underthings, and a couple of pairs of shoes. And evidently, that comes to about as much as the amp I'm GASing for.

So after giving me a recitation of all she had bought and how much she'd spent, she repeated her initial greeting: "I owe you a new amp." I cautiously replied, "Sounds right when you say it."

If she sticks by this statement, I'm getting the Vox MSB25! :D

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You will enjoy it. A great little amp that can produce an authentic Vox sound.

LGOberean likes this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I read the title thinking something happened to an existing amp. Glad to know it's not the case and I hope to see an "NAD" post from you soon.

4. LGOberean

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. She doesn't play, and so I wondered how she had managed to damage one of them. But I also knew that she had been out shopping for clothes, and women's apparel is expensive. Once I remembered that, I put two and two together.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

You had me at "I owe you a new amp."

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Whatever it takes … get that amp :)

7. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Good on ya! Ah, there is nothing like the feeling of perfect anticipation when you know (i) you're getting new gear, and (ii) the wife already knows and is cool with it.

Or at least I distantly remember some experience like that once in the '80's.

RetroTeleRod, LGOberean and Torren61 like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

“Sounds right when you say it ...”

:lol::lol::lol:

9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, take one for the team! Uh... wait... what?

tery likes this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's

Now, THIS is what we need more of:
    posts that show our S.O.s are remarkable people.
    My posts would probably be dominated by amazing things that come from the oven.
    Peace - Deeve

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Larry, I know you're a big fan of the Pathfinder 15R, as am I.....have you tried running one of those into a 12" speaker cab? As I've mentioned, I bought a nice custom cabinet built for a PF 15R chassis, with an opening for a 10" speaker....I was able to cut the baffle to fit a 12" Jensen-style Eminence, and it sounds as good as an AC15 (IMHO) at about 1/3 to 1/2 the weight. Compared to a stock PF15R I have, it just has more bottom, punch, and overall better tone.
    I'm still sorry Vox discontinued the PF 15R model, but I have three....one totally stock, one with a 10" Eminence in a stock cab, and my re-cabbed chassis with a 12" speaker. ;)

12. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

Sounds like the OP has a great wife. She's a keeper for sure.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So...she spends a few hundred dollars, and now you get to spend a few hundred MORE dollars?
    Can't just ONE of you spend a few hundred dollars...or not.
    I'll definitely never understand the confluence of marital finances and consumerism....but....NEW AMP!!!!
    That's a GOOD thing!

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

15 years ago, a "friend" of mine borrowed an amp and later told me that he "lost it" and had the gall to ask me if I could lend him another one.

I'm still waiting for the day when he says "I still owe you a new amp."

LGOberean likes this.
  16. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

She buys clothes then owes you an amp?
    You have a good thing going there, keep her for sure!

17. LGOberean

Yes, she is a remarkable woman that deserves a medal, a plaque, a statue or all of the above for putting up with me for what will be 46 years come the 21st.

And your comments remind me of another story about her and my gear head tendencies. A couple of weeks ago, I was hunting locally for the IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage system. I first went to Clawson's Music, my go-to store. Bubba Clawson was helping a customer, a guy looking to buy an acoustic. His wife was there with him. There was a young salesman working with a customer, too, so I stood waiting. After a couple of minutes, Bubba excused himself and greeted me, and asked if I could wait a bit. I said, "Sure," and he went back to serving the guy on a guitar quest. Before too long Bubba's employ got free from helping some other customer, and talked with me. Unfortunately, they didn't carry the iRig system. I thanked him and left, heading over to the local GC.

Unfortunately, they didn't have it, either. They offered to order it, but I declined. (I eventually ordered it from Sweetwater, and I started a thread about that here.) While there, I decided to go into the acoustic guitar room. I was in there playing an MiMM (Made in Mexico Martin) when the guitar quest guy walked in with his wife. I recognized him before he noticed me, and so I quipped, "We've got to stop meeting like this," or something to that effect. Then he recognized me, laughed, and we chatted about what he was after. Then he said about the guitar I was playing, "I'd probably sound a little better if I was playing it." Without hesitation, I replied, "I don't doubt that at all!" He then laughed, and said he was just joking, that he's just starting out. After chatting a bit more I introduced myself and asked his name. Ben T.

About a week later, I was back in GC again, trying out the Vox Mini Super Beetle for the first time. My wife had just arrived to pick me up (I tell the guys at Clawson's and GC that they're baby-sitting me), and I replied to her text to come in, because I wanted her to see and hear the MSB25. Even then, a week ago, she said she was fine with it. Now that's pretty great right there, but there's more to the story.

In walks Ben T. with his wife again in tow. We shake hands and start comparing notes. Turns out he bought a Seagull (don't know the model), and though it had a gig bag, he was wanting to get a case. I recommended Road Runner brand, and told him the story of buying a Breedlove dreadnought 11 years ago at that very GC, and also opting to get a hardshell case for it. I then took him into the acoustic guitar room to show him where they keep the Road Runner hardshell cases. (Sometimes I think GC should give me a commission or something.) While we were in there, our wives talked.

When we left the store, I was commenting about Ben and my wife flat out said, "I don't think too much of his wife!" Surprised, I asked why, and found out that all the while Ben and I were talking guitars and cases, she was running her husband down to my wife. "He's not very good. I don't know why he's wasting his time. I've already told him that I'm not going to come with him again." :eek::( The idea of someone bad-mouthing her husband to a complete stranger, and not being supportive of him, disgusted her.

Yup, her name is Beth, y'all, and my wife's definitely a keeper! :)

MadJack, stxrus, OldDude2 and 6 others like this.
  18. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

My wife once told me ‘you should go buy something.’ I didn’t ask any questions.

19. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

Every once in a while my wife says " go buy yourself something pretty". ;):D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Ex-riverman and Deeve like this.
  20. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but she don't mean it :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.