I ordered a Champion 20

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Moniyaw, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I ordered a champion 20 for 139 Canadian.
    I listened to it a lot on YouTube and it should be a fine amp for a small room practise.
    Has anyone tried it here?
    I read that changing the speaker improves the overall good quality of the amp even more.
    I wonder if I a 12" would fit...

Geo, Torren61, RoCkstAr256 and 2 others like this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Cool. I was in an apartment last year and got myself a Champ 20 to play quietly. Although I have some higher end tube amps, I find it fun and simple to play through my little Champ a lot of the time. Enjoy!

JayFreddy and Moniyaw like this.
  3. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

Thanks, I've always played with amp modeling softwares and I missed playing on an actual amp for once.
    I can't wait to get my hands on it :)

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have one, and it's a great sounding little amp, although it's been eciipsed by my Mustang LT25 and Katana Mini. I do like the simple WYSIWYG control layout rather than the preset system of modeling amps. I also have a Vox VX1, and all four are great sounding versatile little practice amps with sound quality that belies their price.

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I wanted to buy a katana mini but it doesn't have reverb effects and doesn't quite sound as "full" as the champion, at least for what I was able to tell by listening to YouTube demos.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I love those. Similar to the Mustang 1 in a slightly smaller box. I wish practice amps sounded that good when I was a kid. Heck, I wish practice amps sounded that good back in the 90s... The 60s had Jimi Hendrix, but we have better gear today. It's a wonderful time to be a guitar player.

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It only has delay, which I use much more than reverb, and in person it sounds just as full as the 20, to my ears anyway. Lately I play it even more than my LT25. To my ears, the 20 is a little boxier sounding than the LT25 or Kat.

Moniyaw likes this.
  8. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I've considered the Mustang I as well but it sounds almost muffled compared to the champion.
    When I started playing guitar I had a small 15 watt combo from a Chinese company, it was horrible.

9. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

You should check out the katana air. It's the best practise amp in my opinion. More versatile than the Yamaha THR10, you can tweak your sounds with an app and it comes with a wireless jack connector.
    If I had the money I would buy it already.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it's a tube amp

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

When the Champion Series first came out several years ago I did a test drive at my local Guitar Center. They had four amps I tried out that day, one right after the other: Frontman 25R, SCX2, Mustang I and the Champion 20. The clear winner for me that day was the Champion 20. Sounded good and was much simpler to navigate than the Mustang.

As for shoehorning a 12" speaker into that cabinet, I'm not sure it would work. Quite a step up from an 8" to a 12". I'd bet you could make a 10" fit, though, but I'm just guessing.

Moniyaw likes this.
  11. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I wonder if a 10" would fit... I heard it improves with a quality speaker and a speaker that moves more air sounds bigger.

12. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I Just Got Nux lite, damn should have picked up champion 20

Moniyaw likes this.
  13. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I've had one for about a year and a half. For US$100, you really can't beat it. Super easy to dial in, feather light, looks great, plenty loud for home use or even a little wine bar gig. No way would a 12-inch speaker fit in there; even a 10 would be awfully snug. Instead, I drilled a hole in the back of the cabinet and wired in a switch jack. For 15 minutes of work with a drill and soldering gun and $5 worth of parts, I can now run it through any of my 8-ohm cabinets. The stock 8-inch speaker stacks up pretty well, though.

It's not perfect, but for $100, it's a helluvanamp. Orders of magnitude better than the Teisco I started with in 1974.

xland, LGOberean and Moniyaw like this.
  14. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

I used to rehearsal with a Behringer 30w and had to push it to 9 to be able to hear over the drummer, it barely cut it.
    I'm not planning on using this amp for rehearsal (I would have bought the 40w for that) but I just want to make sure it sounds "full".
    For the price I believe it's one of the best.

Edit: the Behringer is a GM110 with a 1x10" Jensen

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  15. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

"Full" is an awfully subjective metric.

Before passing any judgment on it, give the speaker a good breaking-in. The first thing I did with mine was connect an MP3 player, turn it up loud, bury it under pillows and blankets on the sofa, and let it rip for about six hours. Softening up the speaker that way improved it noticeably. I've had three different Fender amps with 8-inch speakers, and I think their 8-inchers stack up very favorably against other brands. You could get a better one from Eminence or Warehouse, but then there's the questionable wisdom of putting an $80 after-market speaker into a $100 amp.

Second, it's an open-backed cabinet, so where you place it in relation to the nearest wall has an effect. If you don't like the way it sounds, move it closer to or farther from the wall, or to a different spot in the room. Try it in a corner and along a flat wall. Try sitting near it, and farther away.

Finally, small amps sound best when they're not just vibrating your socks. Get it up off the floor on a stand or a chair, or at least tip it back so it's pointed toward your ears (but tipping it can screw up the ideal distance to the wall).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    gkterry, LutherBurger and Moniyaw like this.
  16. Moniyaw

Moniyaw TDPRI Member

That's a very good advice. I will try bury it under blankets and pillows for awhile to let it loosen up a bit.
    I will definitely have to experiment a bit with it but at this point I'm not sure if I will ever upgrade the speakers, after all it's just a practise amp for me and I don't even expect too much from it.

17. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Whats the weight of it?

18. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

12 lb.

19. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I have one and it's great. It sounds really good and as someone mentioned it gets better as the speaker breaks in. Your going to love the effects. They are very good.

20. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I had one and it sounded really good, easy to use, and can't be beat for the price. I gave it to a young aspiring musician because I really had more amps than I needed but it is WELL worth the money for a real nice practice amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.