I noticed something at a couple of Guitar Centers today

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
There seemed to be more people asking about how to get more inputs for podcasting and a lot of people buying lighting for videos than people actually shopping for guitar gear.

I guess that’s the way the world is now. During my short trip back to Facebook a couple of months ago I saw that it’s all set up to promote your TikTok videos. A friend’s daughter showed me one her and her friends made the other day. “It took us like an hour and a half to make this two minute video!” I tried to explain how they would have had to do it in the VHS days with multiple VCR’s to do the editing. She was staring at me like I was speaking another language. I guess maybe I was.

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s like music. In the 70s enough were getting rich off music to prompt everyone to have a go.

Now til tok. My sons ex gf is a tick tok influencer. She gets thousands in endorsements. Was offered a Luxury car but the deal was a little bit hard work (wasn’t allowed to be seen in anything else ever and had to do a video from the car every day for three years.) given she travels by plane a bit that became too hard. (That’s not a slam on her. It was pretty brutal) . Plus she had to pay the registration and insurance. So …

Like everything people think it’s easy. It may be to start.

Cadillac_Mike

Tele-Holic
Guitar Center is such a dinosaur in this era where nobody actually cares about good guitarists anymore. They're still riding on the early 00's thing of "you can get chicks by playing post-grunge so buy our gear!" The reality is that the modern world is so decadent it's "people don't even have the patience for a full song, just 15 sec tik tok videos... Guitar Center; want to buy a Les Paul as a decorative wall art to ocassionally look at? Whatever who cares, just give us $$$!!!" LOL

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
i don't know if it means the same, translations gives me this: society for the dutch word : samenleving
were the piece 'samen' is for together maybe living together would be a better translation.

but nowadays our world is not the people we see around us in real life, but a little colorful screen with a lot of make beliefs, wannabees you don't even know.
people walk in crowds but talk to others on their phones and not with the ones walking next to them.

so it is not strange that things like guitars and other instruments are not popular anymore if you only connect through a phone.
the home recorders know that it is not easy to get music in digital form that has good quality, and than you are talking about 1 instrument and not a complete band.

prince had a number: sign of the times
we could say all this is from: cause and effect

wangdaning

Tele-Holic
but nowadays our world is not the people we see around us in real life, but a little colorful screen with a lot of make beliefs, wannabees you don't even know.
It is utterly disappointing. Still though, we move forward and their are great moments. Not all people are like this. People in general still smile if you smile at them. They will even wave if you do it first. Maybe that is just my experience though.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
here's what our world is like

0B1A1A78-0F19-4DC5-A58A-66D5C824A6E4.jpeg

painting by Gabriele Arruzzo

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
i don't know if it means the same, translations gives me this: society for the dutch word : samenleving
were the piece 'samen' is for together maybe living together would be a better translation.

people walk in crowds but talk to others on their phones and not with the ones walking next to them.

so it is not strange that things like guitars and other instruments are not popular anymore if you only connect through a phone.
the home recorders know that it is not easy to get music in digital form that has good quality, and than you are talking about 1 instrument and not a complete band.

I see this kind of complaint often on this forum. When was the last time you had a conversation with people in person about what you wanted to talk about? Was it on this forum's favorite topic, guitars? I suspect not.

I went to my kids lacrosse game and chatted with some of the other parents. The most banal boring conversations about the weather and (no kidding) Crocs (the shoes for children that adults wear). We never talked about anything I'm interested in or care about.

If you want to lament the loss of bands visit the Band Wagon thread where tales of unpreparedness, incompatibility and general human poor interaction about.

Try an read a magazine on any topic you've been involved with for a while? The writing is so redundant...same cliches, same flower language to describe something that could describe itself.

It's no wonder we seek solice in these phones.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
As @dlew919 said, it's a lot like the 70's when us now old curmudgeons were young and wanted to be rock stars. Today a lot of kids, and even some older adults, see the path to fame and fortune as being an online influencer. The entry barrier is low but the skills and charisma needed to pull it off well are much higher. Those who succeed are like the rock stars of our olden days. Those who don't end up with a closet full of junk and bad memories, if not something worse. Of course, Guitar Center and others make money selling these dreams.

It's harder than it looks...

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I highly doubt that. The amount of data Facebook collects is pretty widely known, and millions upon millions still use it every day.
Facebook’s insidious tracking of even non-members keeps me from ever clicking on one of their links (and yes, I closely control my JavaScript & cookies too)

I was referring to recent news:

blueruins

Tele-Meister
Albums, 8-track, cassettes, CD’s, MP3s, iTunes, bandcamp, YouTube, Tik Tok….streaming whatever.

It’s the new single and the new format. Paradigm has long ago shifted for better or worse.

It ain’t going back and these kids don’t know, understand, live or care about that outdated technology.

Actually, they pay more respect to it than we do to music on an AM radio.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's

Hopefully, the era we're in now is like the early '60s when British Decca rejected the Beatles because guitar bands were out of style, and John Lennon's Aunt Mimi was telling him he'll never get anywhere with his guitar.

OTOH, I'll probably be seeing and hearing someone playing an electric guitar later this morning. Guitars are alive and well in that venue!

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
There seemed to be more people asking about how to get more inputs for podcasting and a lot of people buying lighting for videos than people actually shopping for guitar gear.
It's a podcast, vlogging, YouTube world. "Content creators" > music creators. you have children who have become millionaires as YouTubers. Everyone has an opinion (remember, they're like backend orifices) and you can broadcast them.
Guitar Center is such a dinosaur
I was in Guitar Center and Sam Ash yesterday. They are across the boulevard from each other. They still have decreased inventory. They have to employ a lot of "kids", some of whom know gear but nothing about customer service.
I think the only way I will revisit either is if I have some gear that I want to trade but it won't be towards a major purchase.
Guitar Center, et al are good as showrooms when they have product. So, if Fender introduced something new of interest I might go to GC to try it out. However, I doubt Fender will introduce anything of note because they just flood the distribution chain with fufu.

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
I see this kind of complaint often on this forum. When was the last time you had a conversation with people in person about what you wanted to talk about? Was it on this forum's favorite topic, guitars? I suspect not.

I went to my kids lacrosse game and chatted with some of the other parents. The most banal boring conversations about the weather and (no kidding) Crocs (the shoes for children that adults wear). We never talked about anything I'm interested in or care about.

If you want to lament the loss of bands visit the Band Wagon thread where tales of unpreparedness, incompatibility and general human poor interaction about.

Try an read a magazine on any topic you've been involved with for a while? The writing is so redundant...same cliches, same flower language to describe something that could describe itself.

It's no wonder we seek solice in these phones.
i know, if you only want to talk with people with the same interest you could be disappointed.
why am i here on this forum? right, because almost no one close ore at work does share this interest.
but it is more.
i think i may call myself accessible, meaning that i mostly chat with everyone.
waiting in line at the cash register ore on the street with a little humor you connect fast with someone you don't know.
elderly people you see blossom up with that unforeseen little chat, but mental a lot of people are fixated on the little screen talking to??????
maybe it is because a lot of humanity does not feel known, that we, the others, don't care.

like you did at the lacrosse game, meeting people in real life, taking time to be together is person, that is showing you want to meet the other even if you don't share the same interest ;-)

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
OTOH, I'll probably be seeing and hearing someone playing an electric guitar later this morning. Guitars are alive and well in that venue!
well take them in the street, into local schools, lower grades and let see and hear how music is made real life.
its like a holiday, the road to your holiday destination can be a part of the holiday to ;-)