I never outgrew notions like friendship, love and loyalty...

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Loyalty is maybe not necessarily a good thing. I don't think human nature has changed. There have always been an abundance A-holes. The world never lacks for them. Norms and societal mores are always changing for the better I think. I don't feel a lack of friendship and love in my life.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Back in 1969 I was just finishing up dinner, when a guy came to the door. It was the assistant pastor from a church that we had attended when we lived in a small town about forty miles away. He said his motorcycle had broken down, and would I help him get it home? I'll tell you the truth, I had worked a full day, I was tired, and really had little enthusiasm for the task, but he was a friend.

I had a pickup truck, so I gathered up what I thought we'd need, and off we went. We drove to where his bike was, I took a look at it, and decided I couldn't fix it on the spot, I had brought a board to load it with, and we got it in the truck, tied it down, and I hauled my friend and his bike home. By the time we got it loaded, hauled it home, and chit chatted a bit, it was getting pretty late, and I was tired. I missed seeing Jose Feliciano on tv that night, but I felt pretty good about helping my friend when it was all said and done.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
LOL this is me. I was quite the troubled youth back in the day. However I was pretty tame compared to some of my friends but people in my school when they heard I was a Pastor in a town a half hour away always gave the same response, "HIM?"

I don't make people walk on eggshells around me though. I have my beliefs and they are mine, if you want to hear them then ask me and I will tell you. But then again I would rather talk about motorcycles, guitars, sports or anything else you want to talk about.

I have about three good friends scattered all over the country. Some we talk every week, others not so often but when we get together it is like no time has passed.

I think in today's society people don't really know what constitutes a friend. We have friends on FB that we follow and have no relationship with but we think we do.
I tell people a true friend is the one that you can call at 2AM and they pick up the phone and will help you with whatever you need.

I have a lot of acquaintances that probably would not know if I died until months later that would tell people they are my friend.
A friend is someone you can have lunch with or go to a ballgame with and is enjoyable
A good friend you can share your problems with and ask for advice and maybe he'll help you move
A true friend will help you get rid of a body, no questions asked.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'll make it easy for you, my old friend,
I'll make sure you don't see me, near the end
we've slowly slipped away, a little further each day,

It's the least I can do... for you.

How did we end up like this?
When I think back - when we were kids
From one season to another, would have died for each other,

Now you don't know me, and I don't know you...

I'll make it easy for you.

Friends, lovers - they are faithless, they will let you down,
Something always changes, it all re-arranges
But (my fair-weather friend), I'll stick with you til the end

It's my last gift to you,
It's the least I can do-

I'll make it easy for you.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
It seems that way......but sometimes I wonder if people just didn't do a better job of concealing their evil ways back in the "old days"? There has always been dishonesty, deceit, unfaithful spouses, scofflaws, you name it. Today, with the massive amounts of media coverage and internet outlets, I think (maybe) we have a greater awareness of what EVERYONE is up to. I know my father occasionally let a curse word slip out......but it didn't spew from his lips non-stop like so many adults today......and YES, VIRGINIA......that's an indicator of character. We (society) just don't have the "filters" that once existed.
When I have voiced that times past were better than today, I've been met with a lot of drivel about how things are actually better now than ever. I'm told we all get along way better than those years from way back. To me it's just:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not just here, but around the world, gossip has become the most traded commodity existent. If we really wanted to save the world, we would rid ourselves of communication satellites. An awful lot of people pedaling gossip would rather climb a forty-foot pole to tell a lie, than to stand on the ground and tell the truth.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I have suggestions for those with not so optimistic or bright posts here.

Go volunteer somewhere. Go to a community event. Ask someone you know if they need some help. Get engaged in a hobby or sport others do. Go to a neighborhood or city hall meeting about something that would be good for where you live.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have suggestions for those with possible pollyanna syndrome here:

Some times some things are somewhat tough for some people, and some folks really have no one to talk to about those things. so they vent. (Maybe in a somewhat vague and veiled manner)

Not everythings always sunbeams and rainbows for everyone.
and I think that's ok

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have suggestions for those with not so optimistic or bright posts here.

Go volunteer somewhere. Go to a community event. Ask someone you know if they need some help. Get engaged in a hobby or sport others do. Go to a neighborhood or city hall meeting about something that would be good for where you live.
Pointless to respond..

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Not where I am. It seems the opposite. Bullies were real physical threats when I was a kid, and adults could be trusted to do absolutely nothing at all to stop it. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. My kid starts school next month. I will do anything to keep him from being a bully or being bullied.
When I was in school, the teachers were the bullies. Though occasionally, I was susceptible to being bullied until 7 grade when I finally snapped when one of the popular “tough guy” kids said something about my mom. I felt bad after because I messed him up pretty good (punishment didn’t fit the crime). That said, we became friends oddly enough. I was never bothered again, by anyone. Bullies usually have their own fears or issues that manifest outward. I always try to remember that and it’s what I taught my kids. Be kind, but take no sh$t from anyone.

telemystix

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Sorry to say that nothing of what i have read has worried me more than the reality of what has happened to our country...

Half of americans do NOT believe in reality or truth anymore.

Half of americans are choosing leaders who are really out of touch with reality.

Friendship? Love? Loyalty?

Lets try to get back to reality first?

I am afraid no one really even knows what those things really mean and if you were to give them some truths about these things - they would reject the truth.

One small example:
Loyalty? Ok why would I want or expect loyalty from anyone or anything?

If I "expect" loyalty - here is the stone cold truth: I have a DEMAND of someone. I am asking that person to do things in the way that please me or abide by MY wishes. Worse - when that person goes on his/her merry way and lives life to THEIR satisfaction - I will PUNISH MYSELF - by LABELING THEM DISLOYAL!

Insanity.

That ^ was just a small example of what "loyalty" really means. That was truth. I bet no one wants to hear that.

I do not demand loyalty of anyone - I treat people with respect and however they act or fail to act - it DOES NOT affect me or offend me because I never expected or demanded anything from them.

If/when you learn to see thru yourself - you will then see thru everyone. We are basically all dictators - "I will love you if you act in ways i approve of - but when you act in ways to please YOURSELF - I will punish myself and threaten to with-hold my love" Yup - a dictator.
This was me - until I saw thru myself.
This allowed me to begin seeing thru everyone else and I stopped making demands. I stopped expecting others to act in ways that I approved of.

I know this is not what most want to hear - so I will spare you the rest of my "views."

Be well.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When I was in school, the teachers were the bullies. Though occasionally, I was susceptible to being bullied until 7 grade when I finally snapped when one of the popular “tough guy” kids said something about my mom. I felt bad after because I messed him up pretty good (punishment didn’t fit the crime). That said, we became friends oddly enough. I was never bothered again, by anyone. Bullies usually have their own fears or issues that manifest outward. I always try to remember that and it’s what I taught my kids. Be kind, but take no sh$t from anyone.
The worst bully I ever encountered was one of my grade-school teachers. He followed me, he was my teacher in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade. He humiliated me at every opportunity, he gave me physical paddle licks disproportionate to the offense. Once he gave me ten swats with a device, he had constructed to swing like a tennis racket, while giving a fellow student who committed the same "offense" two swats.

Only the "witness" teacher stepping in and stopping him prevented him from giving me more. When the punishment was finished, and I never broke or cried, the teacher asked me if I learned anything? I told him, yeah, I did, I told him I found out it isn't too hard for two grown men to whip a thirteen-year-old kid.

I moved away and returned during that time period, but nothing changed. I won't repeat what I did to evade more punishment, but when he threatened me for the last time, I made him a promise that he believed. He left me alone after that. Years later, he would end up helping me when I was broke down in my truck one night, and asked me are we good? I told him we were.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have suggestions for those with possible pollyanna syndrome here:

Some times some things are somewhat tough for some people, and some folks really have no one to talk to about those things. so they vent. (Maybe in a somewhat vague and veiled manner)

Not everythings always sunbeams and rainbows for everyone.
and I think that's ok
Pollyanna Syndrome:

Just gonna file that over here under:

PRICELESS!

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I do not demand loyalty of anyone - I treat people with respect and however they act or fail to act - it DOES NOT affect me or offend me because I never expected or demanded anything from them.
Sure. It's a better (safer) policy to expect a knife to your throat at any moment, and never trust anyone.

I mean,

I'm not even being sarcastic or whatever