I need to rehome our 3year old beagle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8barlouie, Apr 10, 2017.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Beagles can be mean just like any other dog. When I was a kid we had a beagle that was the meanest damn thing. That is until the water spaniel came along, he was a mental case. These two dogs proved to me decades ago that the 'there's no such thing as a bad dog, only bad dog owners' thing is pure crap.

'Rehousing' a dog that settles disputes by biting is a really bad idea. Do you really want this animal biting somebody else's wife or child?

2. Formerblonde

Formerblonde Tele-Meister

early 70's we had a beagle that was aggressive. Didn't really have a problem with him chasing the paperboy but when he went after a new born in a carriage... lights out for snoopy.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No I sure don't. I think I'm going to go the rescue league route. The local group is a no kill organization and the vetting process assures that all things are disclosed about the dog.

Nubs likes this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry, I don't mean to come across too strong. I guess sometimes with a pet it can be hard to see what's right in front of you. I'm sorry you are going through this and I hope you make peace with what likely comes next.

5. 8barlouie

You're exactly right about not seeing what's right in front of me. Thank you for your frankness.

lil scotty likes this.
  6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

My ex next door neighbor was heavily involved in bird rescue and beagle rescue. The birds were mostly psycho parrots who had spent most of their life in solitary confinement. Sad.
    The beagles were a nasty snappy barky pack. They would come to attention and accept visitors once she arrived at the door or gate.
    She said the usually 3-5 foster dogs were all discipline problems when she got them. No socialization or no attention.
    She said rehab would be a difficult task if not for her 2 personal Beagles she had for years. They saw her as leader of the pack and themselves as lieutenants. If a newcomer got pushy they would kick his butt and the new ones quickly found their spot in the pack's pecking order. All answering to her commands.
    A lot like we are I guess?
    Do google for a local Beagle rescue contact.
    My best friend and his wife have always kept 2 Dobermans and thru the years they have all been adopted from rescue groups who get them from pounds or folks like you who have a problem child. At 74 years old you can imagine they must rule effectively! They spend day after day so many hours at the dog park doing individualized training. That comes after many months of work by home volunteers (like my ex beagle neighbor) fostered dogs get adopted by a carefully vetted family (like my friends) for further training in a permanent home.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    8barlouie likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

We had a beagle for a short while that was aggressive in a different manner. Only dog I ever seen that could crap in a pickup truck seat as soon as he got in it EVERYTIME! He didn't last to long around our home twenty. I don't even remember what happen to him, but I can tell you one thing, the guy that got him couldn't possibly have said ever "I don't take crap off of nobody."

8barlouie likes this.
  8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an alpha dog twice. Unless you get a pro to turn the dog from this, he needs IMO to have one ' more alpha' master.
    And that DOES NOT mean a master that will over handle the dog to be clear.

8barlouie likes this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Beagles of New England States - look it up - rescue org just for Beagles.

robt57 and 8barlouie like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Even alpha dogs need to learn there are rules that apply to them.

robt57 and 8barlouie like this.
  11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not married but if I had a dog had attacked my wife just once, it would be gone yesterday. Neighbors had to put theirs down a while back for attacking. But either way... putting down, or sending to "reform school" for bad Snoopys, I'd get it out of the house now.

Joe Sailor, brbadg and 8barlouie like this.
  12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Well can you at least do your neighbors a favor and not take him outside until you figure something out?

13. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

With zero doubt IMO. Even more so perhaps as it pertains to boundaries in behavior.

14. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

As a former paperboy,I'm having a hard time with this.

7171551, straightface and flathd like this.
  15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I can't tell you how it works in the USA but over here any animal handed in to the RSPCA is checked over by a vet for any health issues. If they show signs of aggression during the assessment then they will be put down.

There are other organisations that have a no kill policy.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you're a good guy who tried to do well by this dog and your wife is very patient and understanding as well. Your own admission that you miscalculated is admirable. My thoughts on this were formed a very long time ago in a rural area so I'm sure they aren't popular.

Back then, if a family pet were to bite ANYONE it would be put down. The risk of another injury is not worth the life of the dog. You can point to any number of causes for the animal's behavior but it really doesn't matter what the cause is.

I love dogs and fear none. But if you intend to keep one among fellow humans you are responsible for what they do.

17. bdkphoto

bdkphoto Tele-Meister

8barlouie- Check your PM, my wife (professional dog trainer) has a referral for you in Seekonk. It would be a good place to start.

18. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I expect this dog could be well placed with a single adult male, err..person.
    For those worried it would bite a child or woman, that would put it down.

19. 8barlouie

Thanks, I'll check it out.

20. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

8barlouie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.