1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Need Sum Wirin' Help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by RifleSlinger, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

Howdy,

I have been to my wits and and back... and away again :)

I'm trying to get my tele wired with a three way switch, with an additional switch in a CTS push/pull to change the middle setting to series in the switch up position. Here is the diagram I'm using:

TeleSeriesParallel.jpg

The first thing that happened was that I had a good signal in the neck position, and a good middle is parallel, but no bridge pickup in position 1. In the series position I was getting the neck pickup only.

Having checked and rechecked all my connections ad nauseum, I began to suspect that I had my grounds confused on my neck pickup. I have white, black, and blue, and assumed that the blue was the cover ground without really taking the time to examine it before I popped it in.

Today I pulled the pickup far enough to see that the blue wire was indeed the cover ground, but my intuition persisted and I pulled both neck pickup grounds from the wiring. I connected the blue wire to the 3 way swich (top left terminal in the photo) and every setting sounded as it should, but I was getting the cover noise when i touched it. The black neck ground wire was just hanging loose. When I started connecting the black wire to the common ground to see what happened, I lost my bridge pickup signal again.

Weird.

Any thoughts?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What is the neck pickup?

3. RifleSlinger

Klein scooped mid range.

4. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

The cover ground should go to the back of the volume pot, not the switch.

5. RifleSlinger

That's how I had it wired when the bridge pickup did not work in the bridge only position and the series position.

6. RifleSlinger

I have a couple more clues I thought of. When I had it wired as in the diagram, if I really cranked the amp I could hear the bridge pickup faintly in position 1, as if it were sounding in another dimension and I was an aural psychic.

The other is that I originally tried a wiring scheme from Phostenix that had the same series/parallel switch, and also had phase switching. With that configuration I got no bridge unless I switched the phase, then I got no neck.

7. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

Double check the cover ground and the (-) lead of the pickup are not touching each other.
    [​IMG]
    The cover is tied to ground to act as a shield for the pickup. If it's separated from the (-) lead of the pickup, it should be totally out of the signal path.

8. dsutton24

Somehow you're getting your hot and ground wires crossed. I looked briefly though the Klein website, and didn't find wiring diagrams for their Telecaster pickups, so I don't know their color code. Here are some things to think about:

Bear in mind that every pickup manufacturer uses different color wires for the various connections to their pickups. The colors shown on your diagram will probably bear no resemblance to your pickup wiring.

The cover on the neck pickup must be grounded to the back of the volume pot, otherwise you'll get noise. I assume the neck pickup is a three wire pickup since you mentioned a cover ground. Is there also a jumper from the cover to one of the signal wires? If so, that jumper needs to be cut to get a series option.

Does that bridge pickup have a metal bridge plate? If it does, there will be a jumper wire that goes between the base plate and one of the wires coming out of the coil. That wire will be the ground wire for the bridge pickup, and it must be the one that gets grounded to the volume pot.

9. RifleSlinger

There is no jumper. I ordered it with the extra cover ground wire, which is the blue one. I pulled and checked that today. I can also see the white and the black from the top connected to the copper pickup wires.

Both my pickups are Kleins. The bridge has a yellow hot and a black ground. Prior to getting the neck pickup I had the bridge pickup wired directly to the output, which was glorious. It seemed to be properly grounded at that point and was actually very quiet when I wasn't playing. When I first got the neck pickup, I alligator clipped the pickup leads to the output and got the appropriate sound in parallel. I don't remember if I tried doing that in series.

The bridge does have a metal plate. I do have it grounded to the back of the pot as in the diagram. I had the neck pickup cover ground soldered to the same spot on the back of the volume pot (that was when I got only the faint bridge pickup sound in position 1 when I cranked the amp).

10. RifleSlinger

Is there any chance the wiring scheme is flawed?

11. dsutton24

No.

This is why I think you've got a wiring problem. If the cover ground really is isolated from the pickup output wiring, grounding the cover wouldn't kill your output.

Post some clear, close pictures of your wiring. Someone might be able to spot the problem.

12. RifleSlinger

I have some photos but they suck. It's really hard to get close enough to the terminals on the tone knob switch so you can see them. The CTS knobs are set up a little different. I'll see if I can get some decent ones posted tomorrow.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like the bridge pickup hot is being sent to ground at the neck pickup cover via a crossed neck pickup ground or something?

Thanks for all the help so far.

--Todd

13. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

It's definitely not the most common way of doing things. Most of the time the push/pull pot switches to series and bypasses the 3 way switch so whatever position you're in, you can instantly switch to the series sound and back again. Here's the diagram for that configuration.

[​IMG]

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  14. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

^^This^^

Use a Bourns push/pull. Rob DiStefano made me a no load one. Smoothest push/pull out there.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  15. RifleSlinger

Just to clarify, if I were to find that both neck pickup ground wires had a connection to the cover, and to each other, would that be a problem, or would that be normal?

16. tessting1two

tessting1two Tele-Holic

That would be a problem. The case ground wire should only be in contact with the case. The other wire should only be in contact with the (-) side of the coil.

17. dsutton24

As my colleague tessting1two said, that would be a problem. That's the jumper I referred to earlier.

Probably more than you need to know, but this might help:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-to-modify-a-telecaster-pickup-for-4-way-controls.693510/

18. RifleSlinger

That's the confirmation I needed. Tasteful discretion dictates that I hold off posting further until I can make the appropriate contact.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't think it's been mentioned. If you don't own a multimeter, now's the time. For guitar (not amp) work, an inexpensive one will do just fine.

20. RifleSlinger

I think I will do that. What I used to assist me was a small buzzer connected to a AA battery with leads on each end of the battery to complete the circuit.

moosie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.