I need some dirt

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by c_drummond, Mar 3, 2017.

1. c_drummond

c_drummond TDPRI Member

So, I have recently decided that I would like to add a little dirt to my board. I play worship, and I would like to add some sustain and some crunch to a few songs that we play. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pedal that is affordable that would compliment my board?

my drives are Analogman Prince of Tone and a EHX Soul food. Both are pretty transparent.

Thanks!

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

With a POT and the SF you have two great circuits covered (BB and Klone).

The question for me would be what are you missing? Sustain and crunch can mean many things, but I'm going to assume you have low gain (overdrive) covered and want something more aggressive (distortion/fuzz). If that's not the case I would say what you're missing imho would be a Tubescreamer (yes, a glorious mid heavy overdrive :) ).

Some options of classic different circuits (then you can pick what you like best for each):

- Rat
    - OCD
    - Big Muff

I personally run a Big Muff that I use for solos and slide. The other two have a greater range and sound good for rythm as well at lower gain.

3. c_drummond

c_drummond TDPRI Member

Yea, I apologize...I didn't really explain. I use the Prince of Tone as my overdrive and the Soul Food as a clean boost...I just want something I can step on and really get gritty but not too gritty lol if that makes sense at all

4. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Of course it does! You want a just-right gritty pedal

OCD and Rat should work then.

Lmk what you think.

c_drummond likes this.
  5. islander

islander Tele-Meister

Above are great choices for sure. If you are looking for more budget friendly options, obviously after checking for used ones, EHX makes some great copies, as you already experience with the soul food. Check their site, I think the od glove is their take on the OCD.

6. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Prolly don't want a big muff for worship unless your band is really rockin. They make a lot of hiss when you're not playing, but for rock you can't get much better than a big muff boosted by a nice OD.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

The TC Electrionics MojoMojo was selling ridiculously cheaply lately. That one's worth a try... It's a jem with double-stop bends.

richiek65 likes this.
  8. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

A Rat or a muff variant would be what I would look at. I have a Skreddy Screwdriver which is an OD a muff and a boost in one pedal. Since you already have a couple of nice OD's I'd probably pick up a Muff or one of the many many clones. They really are awesome boosted by an OD. I don't find the big Muff inappropriate and we don't do a ton of really rocking songs.

9. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Completely agree. That's why I dropped it after the OP said he wanted gritty but not TOO gritty :)

I use a BM boosted by a TS when I play slide (Our Father - Bethel) or some solos or lead lines (Elevation Worship/Jesus Culture). It makes me SO happy but it does stress the sound engineer :)

10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

In an effort to invite ridicule, what's wrong with a Boss Blues Driver? It's a Boss (eek, so 1980s) but it does a great job of dialing in the grit to suit. Definitely not overbearing grit the way a fuzz or tubescreamer can be, and its cheap too. So if you don't like it, you're not out much.

Overdrive is definitely not my area (I don't have "my own" overdrive sound and its frustratingly difficult to dial in one I can even live with at times) but I think this pedal is a very good choice when you are looking for a balance to our dirt.

richiek65 and islander like this.
  11. c_drummond

c_drummond TDPRI Member

wow! Thanks for all the input! I'll have to check out all these options!

Also, in the risk of changing subject...I am also looking for a second guitar. I have a tele modern player right now, and thats about my price range $350 - $500. Can anyone recommend a great guitar for worship in that price range, besides a strat...I already have that on my list. I am looking to compare a few!

Thanks!

12. JuneauMike

I've been trying for a long time to convince someone else to buy this guitar and tell me what they think, since everyone seems to love them:

th.jpg
    Gretsch Pro Jet.

https://www.amazon.com/Gretsch-G543...id=1488571803&sr=1-1&keywords=gretsch+pro+jet

I may have to buy one, but right now I have no need for another guitar. These things are affordable and there's quite an active movement of underground Pro Jet modders out there. Sounds like a guitar with a lot of untapped potential.

13. c_drummond

c_drummond TDPRI Member

I literally was just looking at that exact guitar...
    Have you ever played one? I've actually never touched a gretsch :oops:

14. JuneauMike

I've never played one, no. Never even held one. But it has been calling to me for years. Jay Farrar took a couple of them as his road guitars during Son Volt's (Okemah?) tour. Which I took to be a ringing endorsement. I've seen countless YouTube vids as well on this instrument. I've been very reluctant to buy another guitar online for some reason, may be why I haven't pulled the trigger. Sure isn't because of the price.

I did buy a Gretsch 5120 several years ago from Musicans Friend and it was as advertised, but I never bonded with it and finally sold it to a guy who was giving it to his son for Christmas. Happy to report his son bonded with it instantly and played it way more than I did.

I would love to have this guitar.

https://www.gretsch-talk.com/forums/
    These guys could give you more insight into this specific guitar. I lurked on that site for quite a while.

15. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I see all the cool kids playing something like that lately :)

16. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Guitar...? Do you have a music store that sells instruments on consignment nearby?

17. c_drummond

c_drummond TDPRI Member

Man, now i really wanna go play one.

18. JuneauMike

See what I mean? Ha

19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

That basically describes his PoT and the Soul Food. If he wants something more "gritty" then the two overdrives currently on his board, he's pretty much going to have to go with a distortion or a fuzz. Just my .02.

c_drummond likes this.
  20. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I think we agree.

That's literally what I said in my first post, where I originally recommended OCD, RAT and BM. Then the OP clarified more gritty but not TOO gritty and IMHO the BM falls in the too gritty category and is less versatile. As usual YMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.