I need my glasses to find my readers,, WTH is happening!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. After 40 or so our elasticity in the eye sockets start to tighten up. Think of it as a tele-photo lense ( no, that's not a new model of a guitar). the eyes don't move that tiny fraction of a milimetre for reading, at first. It may get progrssively worse.
    I can still drive, walk see at a long distances but am hopeless in a supermarket and reading a book ( also this dang 14" laptop screen and typing).
    I think they call it macular degeneration ( although that's severe and leads to blindness). No doubt somebody out there can correct me if I'm wrong.;)o_O:cool::twisted::rolleyes:

Shuster and Milspec like this.
  2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I started wearing glasses, only for distance, when I hit around 30. Never needed readers, and still take my glasses off to read. Close-up vision is still perfect.

At 62, my problem is I’m very careful of my bones and joints! A simple little car door swing into my knee fractured it a year or two ago...it was like nothing at the time...but I wound up being LAID up for two months.

Shuster likes this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Wait for the natural hallucinations of tri-focals.

Shuster, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe time for some Zoomies? :):cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    LocoTex, Shuster and Dog Bite like this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I'm 58 and just gave into readers. Why did I wait so long ?

Shuster, brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  6. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

I just started struggling to read drawings at work, what with the tiny text they use to label components and all. New eyeglass prescription blues.

Then I had an epiphany. Eureka! My phone has a camera with a zoom function. Open the camera, zoom in a click or two, and use it as a magnifier to read the fine print.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Shuster and Nickadermis like this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I started wearing glasses about 3 months ago it was an “Eye Opening “ experience:oops: - number for my far vision and + number for my near. I’m still bumping into things and tripping. I bought the dorkiest looking hornrimmed tortoise shell glasses I could find. So if I’m ever in an airplane or bus crash I can tell my glasses from everyone else’s :lol:
    I now have 3 pairs. A pair for far a pair of no line bifocals and a pair of regular old bifocals. They all have shortcomings, or maybe it’s me with the shortcomings? Coulda bought a Gibson for what they cost :confused:. I can hardly wait to need hearing aids or dentures:eek:

Shuster likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

As is the man with new prescription glasses! ;)

Shuster and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I started needing readers twenty years ago.
    I was a pawnbroker, and I could no longer read the gold mark on jewelry.
    For awhile, I used a jewler’s loop, but the glasses are far more convenient.
    I’ve used the 2.5 strength for the last ten years.
    I miss being able to see well.
    Like Sinatra sang, “That’s life!”

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  10. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

Mine were fine until I got diagnosed with diabetes. I'd probably been diabetic for years, but hadn't seen a doctor in over 12 years. Strangely, my eyes were fine until I started insulin therapy to correct the blood sugar, and it's only for arm's length focus. The first week, everything was blurry. I have reading glasses in every room/coat now. Amazon bulk purchase!

Shuster likes this.
  11. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

Been wearing glasses since I was a kid, but not very strong ones. Since my mid forties I've needed readers. Now, at 68, I've got cataracts, which make my eyes extremely light sensitive and give everyone a nice fuzzy aura. If I pass a reflective road sign at night, the glare from my own headlights blinds me. My vision is still not bad enough for insurance to pay for the surgery though. I'm about to make an appointment to cheat on the eye exam so I can get some nice new lenses installed.

Shuster likes this.
  12. Dog Bite

Dog Bite TDPRI Member

Worsening close up vision is a normal part of the aging process. I believe it is why many older couples are able to stay married after many years.

Ira7, Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That is true as well. I love playing golf with a buddy of mine who is an old Marine with fantastic vision, he seems to defy age. When I hit a drive, I see the ball go out, but then it just kind of disappears. He ALWAYS knows exactly where it's at.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I hope that you find your glasses .

[​IMG]

Nickadermis and Shuster like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

I tried bifocals couldn't deal with that. I felt like I was standing on my tip toes trying to look over something all of the time. My wife tried progressive lenses and couldn't deal with them, but the optician said I was a perfect candidate for them because I couldn't see anyway. I tried them, and have been using them for more than twenty five years now. I get the ones that darken in the sun, and I hardly know I have 'em on. Why my wife bought glasses I haven't a clue she can read without them unless the print is very small.

Shuster likes this.
  16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Go See a good eye doctor ... Posting on this forum will not solve anything, although it is a great resource... Good luck and best wishes, Brother !!!

Shuster likes this.
  17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I tried bifocals too. They did terrible things for my depth perception After a week of almost falling my stairs I gave up. I use my distance glasses for driving. They come off in the house and readers when needed

Shuster, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

I tried that for a while but changing glasses all the time kept me busier than a one armed paper hanger.

stratoman1 and nojazzhere like this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I have had mine for about 5 years. I guess I am use to it. But, each lens captures light a bit different. Sometime, it seems like a star is shooting by, but it is just refracted light. Sometime prismy, if you will. It happens once in awhile while driving. I have to decide pretty quick if it is just doing its thing, or that is a meteor just about to crash upon us.

Shuster likes this.
  20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I started wearing glasses at 8, and progressive lenses at around 45. I recently (at 52) tried separate pairs for distance and reading, but it's a PITA to carry two pairs of glasses around. I'm stickin' with progressives.

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.