I need help with wiring a 3 prong power source.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
My friend gifted me an old pevey 212 classic vt. It's not in great shape. Here is the problem. His dog ate the plug. There is about 4 feet of chord left. It has 3 wires. 2 black, 1 green. The the green wire is for grounding only it says on the existing chord, but what do I do with the other two black ones? Is it safe to splice these to another cord and how do I do it? What is the difference between the two black wires? Kinda new to fixing amps, so any help would be awesome. Just don't want to screw it up. The existing chord has this embossed on it. 18/3 SPT-2 and SX-H pot- 32. Thanks.

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
You'd be best off replacing the whole existing power cord -- splicing it is a bad idea, 4' isn't long enough, and you want the two non-ground lines to be obviously distinct -- that is, white / black -- and modern and durable and safe. And a new 3-prong power cord won't cost you much.

So you want a modern 3-prong plug pre-built onto a modern cord with modern insulation. You want either SJT grade (great for long runs or where your roadies might run dollies over it) or SVT grade (easier to handle, easier to insert in strain relief, and fine for household lengths).

Then you'll just have to figure out how to wire it inside the amp -- but that's the final big advantage. Done right, it'll be far safer and sturdier than many vintage installations. I'm not sure how that amp is wired, but folks here can advise.

Finally, tho, an old amp in not-great shape needs more than a new cord; at minimum it needs a full check-up. Does it have new electrolytic caps? Are you comfortable working safely inside an amp, testing and replacing components, measuring voltages? You got a free amp, right? Sometimes the best holiday gift you can give yourself is a trip to a tech...

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Right, get a whole new cord. Surely there are techs here who know the amp and can tell you which wire goes where.

Did you examine the dog's feces to be sure it was him and not rodents who ate the plug?
Tough dog! Especially if there were stiff copper strands sticking out! Yee-owww...

cherryburst1

Tele-Meister
If you booger it and it causes a fire, you're insurance won't pay for the damage after the fire marshall finds the cause. Go buy a heavy duty 3 prong plug at a hardware store (usually 5-6 bucks) take it and the amp to your local music store and ask them to wire it up. They will use an ohmeter and schematic to sort out which wire is hot and neutral. Don't be surprised if it doesn't blow up when you fire it up. Caps in there are just waiting to make a show.....

cherryburst1

Tele-Meister
I owned one. It's a great sounding amp if it's maintained. It's worth a true full inspection, including the 6L6's. If they are good, pass all tests and are matched--leave 'em in. If they are the originals, they are Sylvania STR386 6L6's. They are probably worth more than the amp on today's market---if they are still matched....

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Free amps are not a bargain if it kills you or burns your family out of the house. Another vote here for turning it over to a qualified tech for the full treatment.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Replace the entire cord. If you have trepidation (there are indeed nasty parts in there that can cause you alotta harm), have a good tech do it. Save the old cord for posterity.

cdb1961

TDPRI Member
Contact Peavey service, they have parts like this to change back to original. I have done this for several amps and the pricing is very reasonable!

To Place an Order by Phone or for Customer Service for Your Peavey.com Order
Call 877-860-5903 to place an order by phone 7am to 11pm Central Time, 7 Days a Week
Questions about your Peavey.com order? Call 877-860-5903 7am to 11pm Central Time, 7 Days a Week
To contact Web Sales by email, send email to [email protected].

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
18/3 means it's 18 gauge, three wires. If you are confused about what to do, you are too new at this, and as a few of our colleagues mention above--take it to someone familiar with how to properly/safely wire a power cable to a guitar amp.

An amp is not a double-insulated item like a kitchen mixer or a soldering stick, and it can kill you if it's not properly done.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Right, get a whole new cord. Surely there are techs here who know the amp and can tell you which wire goes where.

Did you examine the dog's feces to be sure it was him and not rodents who ate the plug?
Tough dog! Especially if there were stiff copper strands sticking out! Yee-owww...
German shepherd with no manners.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
I owned one. It's a great sounding amp if it's maintained. It's worth a true full inspection, including the 6L6's. If they are good, pass all tests and are matched--leave 'em in. If they are the originals, they are Sylvania STR386 6L6's. They are probably worth more than the amp on today's market---if they are still matched....
Those are the ones. Everything is original except for the new chord l have to fix.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That amp needs some work…even if it is making sound when you get the AC power to it. Tech time…..this is one of those gifts that comes at a cost. Some people might think it is worth it.

cherryburst1

Tele-Meister
That amp needs some work…even if it is making sound when you get the AC power to it. Tech time…..this is one of those gifts that comes at a cost. Some people might think it is worth it.
It is. It has the all transistor front end (not op-amps) and Fender-esque tone stack. With the original speakers (not Black Widow or Scorpions), it's a great amp.

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
Also, if you replace the power cord you will need to remove the strain relief and replace it with a new one unless it uses a removable IEC power cord or you place a grommet in the hole to prevent dangerous wear on the cord's insulation and secure it with a knot or hefty cable tie, both of which are less preferable, IMO. Just saying.

If you are going to have a tech look at it, I'd just let the tech deal with it because he/she probably has the tools to effortlessly deal with the strain relief and hook it up correctly (hot in line with power switch, ground to a place so as to avoid ground loops, etc.) at a reasonably small price. This is routine repair for most techs.

jaxjaxon

Tele-Holic
Here is what happens if the two black wires need to be reversed the amp will be out of phase and will hum when plugged in and turned on. You dont believe me try it with a stereo that also uses a three prong plug.

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
A quick search shows the older Peavey schematics. They didn't worry about White/Black colors as neither wire was an actual "neutral". Both "Hot" and "Neutral" feed a reversing DPDT switch that feeds the PT. Of course there is the usual "death cap" connected to one leg of the PT.
I too wish you would have a tech look it over, if you aren't comfortable working on it, and replace the caps!

Jon Snell

Tele-Afflicted
I suspect you have one of these;
Screenshot 2021-12-02 at 20.27.10.png

Remove the death cap and wire your new three core mains lead accordingly and all will be fine.