I need help with the knobs on my Tele.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

My Telecaster had the stock volume and tone pots replaced with Bourns USA solid brass shaft ones by the original owner.

The problem is that the knobs don't fit snuggly, and when the screw is tightened, it make the knob sit crooked, and when turned, it's makes a very psychedelic up and down movement :)

Are there any knobs that will solve the fit problem, or should I put the original pots back on if they are no better or worse than the Bourns?

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Why were they replaced?

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi LowCaster!

He said he thought they were better (they rotated smoother)!

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

If the knobs have a set screw the pots should be a solid shaft. Can you send us a picture of the knobs and pots?

5. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Replace the knobs. There are knobs that come with a brass sleeve for the pots with the slightly smaller shaft.

You might be able to buy just the sleeves but I usually see them included with some new knobs.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=253229829299

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Some suggestions for an easy fix. A small piece of shrink tube over the shaft may be able to adapt it. If that is too big, try a piece of plastic drinking straw.

wabashslim and eallen like this.
  7. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been there and done that, replaced old cheap asian pots with « good ones ». Turns out they sound the same. The differences are, yes smoothness sometimes, and that they don’t fit as well,as you are experiencing.

You can put the originals pots back in, or replace the knobs (I wouldn’t do that) or find a way to make them fit (as tubejockey says). If the new pots feel OK I would have tried to put a strip of copper (like shielding tape) around the shaft.

8. VintageRocker

VintageRocker TDPRI Member

I have used a little bit of white plumbers tape. It also works great for loose push on knobs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.