1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need help with buying a practice amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by garytelecastor, Jul 23, 2015.

1. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I have a very good friend who is the father of one of the greatest little boys I have ever met. His dad plays a Les Paul through a Line 6 and he is strictly a recreational player.
    He recently bought a mini-Les Paul for his son, and he has asked me to help him find a practice amp that the boy can use to play through with dad.
    Some caveats could be in order.
    The boy is about 5 years old so his dad wants something that can last a while. He also is a big Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson fan and he loves their music.
    We are also working on a budget of under $100.
    So now you can see why I need you guys to help me out.
    Any suggestions are going to be welcome.
    So thanks.

P.S.-I couldn't put all of this in the title so if you feel like you have been misled that was NEVER my intent. I love this kid and I would really like to see what we could do for him.

2. Telepathist

Telepathist Tele-Afflicted

3. 4seven3

4seven3 TDPRI Member

+1on the M1, can be had used for even less used. The Blackstar CORE ID amps are nice too.

4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Fender Champion 20? Those models are stupid simple but sound good.

5. irie

irie Tele-Holic

agreed on the used mustang one, they are on my local craigslist for $75 bucks all day long.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The used 20w Roland Cubes are in the $100 price range or maybe a tad bit more if his Dad is willing to stretch a bit. They're certainly gonna meet the criteria of being able to last awhile. There are guys with 30 year old models that are still going strong.

7. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

OP, PM sent.

8. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Vox Mini 3g2, about $120, but you can find them cheaper. Good little amp, battery and plug in. Simple controls.

For a cool, really easy to use option, the Orange PiXCR12, $99. Really sturdy construction, gain and OD, tone controls and volume. And that cool Orange look should appeal to a 5 year old (I like it too).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  9. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Blackstar Fly 3. I tried it and was very impressed. You can get a package with the extension speaker for $99 new. Put some batteries in and play anywhere in the house. Clean tones, great dirt tones and built in delay. Makes a nice audio system for a party too! ;)

Otherwise, if the youngster want to play with effects more varieties of tone, the Micro Cube can't be beat.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

:A silverface Twin Reverb would be perfect for a five year old. He'll end up being a better player (no dirt to cover mistakes) and he'll be strong as an ox in a few years.:lol:

11. TouringBubble

TouringBubble Tele-Meister

I'll second the Blackstar Fly 3. It's a great little amp and very portable.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Once again my conjecture than any "what amp?" thread will have a Twin recommended, has been substantiated!

13. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

That's just silly - he wants to play Vai, Satriani, Johnson. C'mon BobbyZ...

;)

14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say get a simple Vox Pathfinder, Fender Champion 20 (or whatever they're called), or the Orange that was suggested. More than likely they'll outlast a modeling amp, and honestly I think I would've learned much faster if I hadn't started on a modeling amp. Too complex and you spend as much time learning about tone as you spend practicing.

15. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Mustang 1 is too much crap to deal with for a 5 year old, (or for this 47 year old). Better off with just the input jack and a volume knob, maybe tone controls, after all, are you training him up to be a guitar player or a knob twiddler / gear whore? Even if someone gives you one for free, too soon, develop his interest in the music, poor little bugger will develop GAS sooner or later, no need to push it now. Something like a Fender 25R kind of a thing, or something dinky like a Marshall MG10 - simple. Also I gotta say I think it's nuts to spend even $100 on it. If you can't score a used practice amp for $50, something is missing.

Best of luck!

16. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Gary,

Sounds like you thinks kid might get serious about playing. If it will help I will give you a Line 6 Spyder 15. Might cost $20 to ship.....let me know.

17. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

I've already offered the OP a Peavey Backstage 20 Watt. I'm mailing it on Tuesday. I was given it as my starter amp so I felt I should give it away as well to a beginner.

18. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Tele-Meister

Go to your local pawnshop pick up the first amp you see for 50 bucks.

19. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Fender tweed branco, if you coudl find one

or a Pignose

20. MEXbluesGUY

MEXbluesGUY Tele-Meister

Vintage marshall stack :p :lol: :lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.