1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need help with a wiring diagram please.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by marianopodesta, Oct 26, 2020.

1. marianopodesta

marianopodesta TDPRI Member

Hello my name is Mariano and Im building my first partscaster, it’s a mahogany body telecaster with a maple and rosewood neck. I thinking about getting a single coil at the bridge pickup and a humbucker with split coil at the neck pickup. I want to put a 4 way switch to get both pickups in serie and in parallel, in the second and third position. And also use push and pull knob for the coil split at the neck humbucker. Can anyone help me with the wiring diagram please? I would appreciate pictures and some details. Thanks!

ElardLews likes this.
  2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome to the forum !!

Here's some to look through. On the split diagram, the BLACK wire would actually go to your 4 w switch, whatever terminal needs the neck (N+) pickup. You might want to temporarily connect things with a test lead so you can try the slug, or the screw to see which coil will be in phase with your bridge, and hopefully, the opposite in polarity to get it to work best in series. You can check pickup tops with a compass. You want the two coils you work with (neck and bridge) to be OPPOSITE top polarity actually.

If with that coil you have a phase issue, you can reverse the north start and south start hb leads to the p/p.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    marianopodesta likes this.
  3. marianopodesta

Hi sjtalon!!! Thank you very much for replying :)

your help is very useful for me :)

I’ve been watching the pictures you sent me and I’m starting to understand hahahaha. Even though I do understand the pictures I do still have some questions. Look I’m really a beginner hahaha so I don’t know how to mix this pictures. I don’t mind if the series or parallel are in switch 3 o 4, for me it’s the same, then I’ll discover hahaha. So i ask you to send a new diagram with a little bit more of information mixing the pictures you sent me. (I’m a newbie). Please.

Look I’ll send the wiring I want in the pictures you sent me. And also a Stratocaster wiring diagram example which has all the information I need for wiring, and I would like if you can follow the example of the diagram, but with the specs of the telecaster wiring you sent me understand? By the way thank you for your time and helpfulness:)

Attached Files:

4. sjtalon

The diagram you sent isn't doing what you mentioned in your post. That extra switch does not split the hb (humbucker). It's just for adding the bridge pickup in.

Doesn't give series either.

When you get the bridge pickup, and neck hb your going to use then we can be more specific in wiring diagrams. I could draw up a schematic. make sure the neck pickup is a 4 wire type.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41xYsGLflEL.jpg

As far as the 4 w switch, what is standard for wiring is the first three positions as just like a regular tele 3 way, that being 1 bridge, 2 bridge and neck, 3 neck, then 4 is series.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  5. marianopodesta

Yeah yeah, sorry if I didn’t explain myself so well, what I meant was, If you could draw me a wiring diagram with the specs that I explain you before (with a bridge pickup, humbucker at the neck, a push pull button por split coiling the humbucker, and a 4 way switch with parallel and in series in position 2 or 3 any of them). The Stratocaster picture I sent you was to show you how it would be useful to me for you to draw a diriagram if you can and you have time, I’m new at this and if you explain me with words I’m not that comprehensive... :(

I just wanted you to draw a wiring diagram for me if you can help me, I would appreciate if it looks similar to the Stratocaster diagram I sent, I don’t expect the specs of the Stratocaster, just the type of drawing, but with the control plate of the telecaster and the things that I told you here up. :)

I hope you can help me with this, anyway thanks ;)

6. sjtalon

OK what are your pickups going to be, brand ? Model ? Do you know yet ?

I could just draw something up anyway. If you don't know yet we can figure wire colors later.

Regardless, not too complicated, pickup ground (negative), and hot (positive), all the same things to work with anyway.

7. marianopodesta

Ohhh thanks!!! :)

i haven’t decided the brand and model yet, so please try to do it for a generic wiring diagram, maybe in like a moth I’ll buy them and install them. Thanks for helping me!

8. sjtalon

No problem will do. I understand how you want it now and the type of diagram ;).

It will be (TELECASTER):
    1. B
    2. B>N parallel
    3. B+N Series
    4. N

P/P tone pot, split neck HB coil.

As I said, the neck leads can be changed around to get the phase right if there is an issue with whatever bridge pup you decide on.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. marianopodesta

T
    Yeeesss!!! Thanks! Okay :) I’ll wait for you :)

10. sjtalon

I don't have a way (program), or know how to make a diagram in the format those are so have drawn it out.

Once you get your pickups, we can get all the wires to their correct places, based on all THEIR colors.

sjtalon series- coil split.JPG

11. marianopodesta

I really appreciate your time, words, comprehension, thank you for the opportunity you gave me to try new things and learn a little bit more about the “guitar world”.

I hope you have a great like, good luck. Blessings.

I’ll let you know the progress.

12. sjtalon

You are welcome.

Fun challenges these things are.

13. ElardLews

ElardLews TDPRI Member

Screenshot_20201028-182622_Chrome.jpg IMG_20201028_124259_579.jpg This might be of interest. 5 way switch for the humbucker split and push pull tone to change capacitor. Cap is wired 50s style.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  14. ElardLews

ElardLews TDPRI Member

Very nice. I will add this to my collection.

15. ElardLews

ElardLews TDPRI Member

You can do what you want to do with a 5 way switch.

16. marianopodesta

Thanks! I’ll consider this :)

17. marianopodesta

Hello how are you? I’m starting to buy the wiring stuff and I had come across with a dilemma should I put 250k pots or 500k pots? 250k for the volume and 500k for the tone? I know that the 500k let pass more high frequencies and that it’s recommended for the humbucker and the 250 is recommended for the single coil. But I don’t know which one should I put at volume and at the tone. Btw I have decided that I’ll use for both (volume and tone) logarithmic pots.

18. sjtalon

Doing well thank you.

I would go with 250K volume, or the bridge would be too bright, harsh-sounding.

250K tone, with a .022 µF cap.

19. marianopodesta

Cool thanks!

20. ElardLews

ElardLews TDPRI Member

I agree. 250KA for both pots and 0.022uF.

But then consider the effect of the cap wiring. I like the '50s tone. You'll find this everywhere.

Right now I'm playing my tele with 250KA vol, 100KB tone pot and a ... 0.47uF cap. Crazy bit I love the dark "woman" tone it gives. Thick and warm.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.