I need help on what to pick...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Telemarcster, May 11, 2017.

1. Telemarcster

Telemarcster TDPRI Member

my current gear setup is as follows.
    - polytune
    - xotic ep booster
    - jhs morning glory
    - ehx od glove
    - boss dd-20
    - boss rv-6

Im looking at buying some new gear, i need to buy better power as my one spot isnt coping with delay and the morning glory on there are sound issues.
    should i buy the sub 'n up, an ernie ball vp jr, a pro co rat (which im not so sure on but seems like a standard for worship) or some sort of compressor, i only should really be buying one...

running a telecaster into the pedals in to a vox ac15.

thanks.

2. dpandri

dpandri TDPRI Member

Looking at your current gears, i believe a compressor will be a better choice.

The others can wait, especially the proco since you've got 3 od/boost type pedal that you can stack together for higher gain stuff.

I never knew how much a compressor helps in my sound until i got one recently. If you are going for the "common" worship guitar sound, go and get a decent compressor!

Just my 2cents.

3. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I would second a compressor, especially if you are playing modern stuff. You are missing a chorus pedal, I use chorus half the time I play. Unless or are dissatisfied with your current OD options I would not put the rat high on the list. Not that there is anything wrong with that pedal.

4. Telemarcster

And what compressors then would you recommend...
    I have a budget of about £100 so roughly $130

thanks

5. callasabra

I have used the DOD FX80B and been satisfied. You can pick these up well under your price range.
    [​IMG]

I currently use the compressor sim on my Line6 PODX3LIVE board.I keep my Comp on most of the time when playing modern stuff. I will kick it off occasionally.

The MXR Dyna Comp, wampler Ego and Xotic SP compressor are OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) and are sometimes referred to as 'organic'. Unless you wanted a vintage sound I would by a new/newer pedal because these older models are known to 'color sound' or 'suck tone'. Newer models have improved on this.

Then there is Keeley. studio grade, different approach. I have known very few people use these, but those that do seem to praise them. I have no experience so I don't know if it is a matter of cork sniffing or absolute quality. You might be able to grab a used one in your price range.

You might consider the Route 66 Trutone since you initially asked about the Proco Rat. The Trutone is Overdrive & Compression. You might even find the Trutone will replace one of your existing pedals because you some overlap with EP Booster, Morning Glory and EHX Glove.

I have never used the Glove before but I understand it has some interesting qualities.

You also might check out the CHATMODS signa comp (it is/was on Nigel Hendroff's board, Hillsong) I have no experience with it. I think this is boutique but within your price range and are available on amazon/ebay/sweetwater I think.

If I were in the market like you, I would find a store and start with the Trutone. If you want to roll the dice, buy used on Reverb/ebay if you are not satisfied sell it.

CAAD8N8 likes this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you can find a comp that allows you to blend the compressed signal with the dry signal, it is well worth an increase in price. I use an Empress compressor and it is the best I've used or tried, but it is around $200 used. Wampler makes a good compressor with a blend also. I just checked Reverb, and the Ego compressor from Wampler can be had used for around $135. It's got the blend feature and sounds and feels good.

CAAD8N8 likes this.
  7. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Agree on the compressor and definitely recommend one with a parallel/blend option. Look for a used Barber Tone Press as an alternative to the Wampler Ego. I've seen them in the $90-$130 range on Reverb.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Modulation. You need modulation....

9. Telemarcster

Still not convinced on the compressor....

Ive never played something and thought a compressor would be really good here and i already use my ep booster as an always on.

What you guys think about the tc electronic forcefield compressor?

Just not sure...

10. Telemarcster

But yet again maybe its a secret ingredient that when i get one itll make a huge difference..

callasabra likes this.
  11. callasabra

I have no experience with the forcefield, but TC Electronics makes nice pedals. I never used a comp until I got my 7 string, then I saw a need for a comp. Then once I had one and used it I found it useful for my 6 string as well. I don't have an ep booster, but it is on my list. My understanding of the ep booster though would yield different results than a compressor. I invite correction with this statement. I believe most recordings today employ compression to some degree, some genres more than others. but I find modern P&W music uses it quite a bit.

You are missing modulation as other posts mention so something in that flavor.

12. dpandri

dpandri TDPRI Member

imho a compressor is the secret sauce that I've been missing to easily dial-in the contemporary worship guitar sound. More so with the crisp clean tone that you have been hearing in recent CCM.

The EP booster is more like a pre-amp/tone buffer/booster fx, it is not the same as how a compressor work, that being said you could use a compressor to do what EP booster could, but not the other way round.

I will agree with the others that the next in line should be modulation of some sort.

callasabra likes this.
  13. Telemarcster

So if i went for a compressor what do you guys think of:
    Dr J aerolite compressor or a jhs modded dyna comp with the ross circuit in there? The problem for me is always shipping from reverb as its always an extra 20

14. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

mRtINY aka "the modulation evangelizer" :D

I'll second that.

I do love a good comp though.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    mRtINY likes this.
  15. asatattack

asatattack TDPRI Member

I own a Keeley Compressor and a Retrosonic Compressor, which is a reproduction of a gray Ross compressor. They are both both great! I used to own a Proco Rat, really liked that but I gave it to a friend. Own or have owned some TC Electronic stuff, can't go wrong with them.

16. 79Blackie

79Blackie TDPRI Member

I have a Wampler Ego Compressor. It replaced a Boss CS-3.

I never liked the CS-3 because it would give me the sustain I was seeking but kill the initial note attack. Backing off the compression gave the desired note attack but then no sustain. I used it sparingly only when needed.

It's not just the CS-3. Every compressor I had ever tried gave me unwanted side effects. I wanted a compressor which would give me the compression and sustain of a cranked dirt peddle, without the heavy metal sound.

I can't say enough about the Ego. I set all the knobs at 12:00 except the tone which is at 1:30. I adjust the volume to match the level of the uncompressed signal.

Most people I demo it for don't know there's any effect on. That's a very natural sound. They can't tell it was there until you turn it off.

I often take the compressed signal and run it into a dirt peddle with very little gain. It sustains and even roars like it has huge gain, but with a kinder, gentler sound. Very useful for worship songs.

Bottom line: Don't mess with a compressor without a blend knob.

callasabra likes this.
  17. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

Tc hypergravity

18. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

For compressor I would second the TC Electronic Hypergravity as an affordable option. I have an older JHS Pulp n Peel that I use all the time. they tend to be more expensive though you might find a used one for a decent price.

19. callasabra

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.