I need help on what to pick...

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Telemarcster, May 11, 2017.

1. Telemarcster

Telemarcster TDPRI Member

my current gear setup is as follows.
    - polytune
    - xotic ep booster
    - jhs morning glory
    - ehx od glove
    - boss dd-20
    - boss rv-6

Im looking at buying some new gear, i need to buy better power as my one spot isnt coping with delay and the morning glory on there are sound issues.
    should i buy the sub 'n up, an ernie ball vp jr, a pro co rat (which im not so sure on but seems like a standard for worship) or some sort of compressor, i only should really be buying one...

running a telecaster into the pedals in to a vox ac15.

thanks.

2. dpandri

dpandri TDPRI Member

Looking at your current gears, i believe a compressor will be a better choice.

The others can wait, especially the proco since you've got 3 od/boost type pedal that you can stack together for higher gain stuff.

I never knew how much a compressor helps in my sound until i got one recently. If you are going for the "common" worship guitar sound, go and get a decent compressor!

Just my 2cents.

3. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I would second a compressor, especially if you are playing modern stuff. You are missing a chorus pedal, I use chorus half the time I play. Unless or are dissatisfied with your current OD options I would not put the rat high on the list. Not that there is anything wrong with that pedal.

4. Telemarcster

And what compressors then would you recommend...
    I have a budget of about £100 so roughly $130

thanks

5. callasabra

I have used the DOD FX80B and been satisfied. You can pick these up well under your price range.
    [​IMG]

I currently use the compressor sim on my Line6 PODX3LIVE board.I keep my Comp on most of the time when playing modern stuff. I will kick it off occasionally.

The MXR Dyna Comp, wampler Ego and Xotic SP compressor are OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) and are sometimes referred to as 'organic'. Unless you wanted a vintage sound I would by a new/newer pedal because these older models are known to 'color sound' or 'suck tone'. Newer models have improved on this.

Then there is Keeley. studio grade, different approach. I have known very few people use these, but those that do seem to praise them. I have no experience so I don't know if it is a matter of cork sniffing or absolute quality. You might be able to grab a used one in your price range.

You might consider the Route 66 Trutone since you initially asked about the Proco Rat. The Trutone is Overdrive & Compression. You might even find the Trutone will replace one of your existing pedals because you some overlap with EP Booster, Morning Glory and EHX Glove.

I have never used the Glove before but I understand it has some interesting qualities.

You also might check out the CHATMODS signa comp (it is/was on Nigel Hendroff's board, Hillsong) I have no experience with it. I think this is boutique but within your price range and are available on amazon/ebay/sweetwater I think.

If I were in the market like you, I would find a store and start with the Trutone. If you want to roll the dice, buy used on Reverb/ebay if you are not satisfied sell it.

CAAD8N8 likes this.
  6. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

If you can find a comp that allows you to blend the compressed signal with the dry signal, it is well worth an increase in price. I use an Empress compressor and it is the best I've used or tried, but it is around $200 used. Wampler makes a good compressor with a blend also. I just checked Reverb, and the Ego compressor from Wampler can be had used for around $135. It's got the blend feature and sounds and feels good.

CAAD8N8 likes this.
  7. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Agree on the compressor and definitely recommend one with a parallel/blend option. Look for a used Barber Tone Press as an alternative to the Wampler Ego. I've seen them in the $90-$130 range on Reverb.

8. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Modulation. You need modulation....

9. Telemarcster

Still not convinced on the compressor....

Ive never played something and thought a compressor would be really good here and i already use my ep booster as an always on.

What you guys think about the tc electronic forcefield compressor?

Just not sure...

10. Telemarcster

But yet again maybe its a secret ingredient that when i get one itll make a huge difference..

callasabra likes this.
  11. callasabra

I have no experience with the forcefield, but TC Electronics makes nice pedals. I never used a comp until I got my 7 string, then I saw a need for a comp. Then once I had one and used it I found it useful for my 6 string as well. I don't have an ep booster, but it is on my list. My understanding of the ep booster though would yield different results than a compressor. I invite correction with this statement. I believe most recordings today employ compression to some degree, some genres more than others. but I find modern P&W music uses it quite a bit.

You are missing modulation as other posts mention so something in that flavor.

12. dpandri

dpandri TDPRI Member

imho a compressor is the secret sauce that I've been missing to easily dial-in the contemporary worship guitar sound. More so with the crisp clean tone that you have been hearing in recent CCM.

The EP booster is more like a pre-amp/tone buffer/booster fx, it is not the same as how a compressor work, that being said you could use a compressor to do what EP booster could, but not the other way round.

I will agree with the others that the next in line should be modulation of some sort.

callasabra likes this.
  13. Telemarcster

So if i went for a compressor what do you guys think of:
    Dr J aerolite compressor or a jhs modded dyna comp with the ross circuit in there? The problem for me is always shipping from reverb as its always an extra 20

14. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

mRtINY aka "the modulation evangelizer" :D

I'll second that.

I do love a good comp though.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    mRtINY likes this.
  15. asatattack

asatattack TDPRI Member

I own a Keeley Compressor and a Retrosonic Compressor, which is a reproduction of a gray Ross compressor. They are both both great! I used to own a Proco Rat, really liked that but I gave it to a friend. Own or have owned some TC Electronic stuff, can't go wrong with them.

16. 79Blackie

79Blackie TDPRI Member

I have a Wampler Ego Compressor. It replaced a Boss CS-3.

I never liked the CS-3 because it would give me the sustain I was seeking but kill the initial note attack. Backing off the compression gave the desired note attack but then no sustain. I used it sparingly only when needed.

It's not just the CS-3. Every compressor I had ever tried gave me unwanted side effects. I wanted a compressor which would give me the compression and sustain of a cranked dirt peddle, without the heavy metal sound.

I can't say enough about the Ego. I set all the knobs at 12:00 except the tone which is at 1:30. I adjust the volume to match the level of the uncompressed signal.

Most people I demo it for don't know there's any effect on. That's a very natural sound. They can't tell it was there until you turn it off.

I often take the compressed signal and run it into a dirt peddle with very little gain. It sustains and even roars like it has huge gain, but with a kinder, gentler sound. Very useful for worship songs.

Bottom line: Don't mess with a compressor without a blend knob.

callasabra likes this.
  17. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

Tc hypergravity

18. h2odog

h2odog Tele-Meister

For compressor I would second the TC Electronic Hypergravity as an affordable option. I have an older JHS Pulp n Peel that I use all the time. they tend to be more expensive though you might find a used one for a decent price.

19. callasabra

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.