I need HELP on coping/recovering/moving on with my Tele obsession!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 12, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Do what we all really need to do: sell them all and take a really really good song writing course.

johnnylaw and Wallaby like this.
  2. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

From MY perspective, please allow me to amend what you said EsquireOK :)

1) Only keep one Telecaster (besides the 2 B-Bender investments) out of all the ones I have, and sell all of the others.
    2) I already know how to write a good song, but as Bob Ohlsson (of Motown fame) told me, Publishers have desk drawers full of great songs that for a multitude of various reasons never make it out of the drawers :)
    3) I need to get my guitar chops up to the level that I can play the drums/bass guitar/keyboards.

Thanks!
    Jerry

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

After all of your truly appreciated replies, I was able to back away for a while, and I now know what caused my dilemma :)

Not only am I a music creator/player, I also sell pro audio gear, as well as guitars and drums.

When I started playing guitar, I already knew full well that as long as I had one good guitar, and until it could no longer fulfill my musical needs, that's all I really needed.

I'll call that the experienced music creators/musicians learned wisdom side of me :)

But I also own/have owned several music gear related businesses since 1989, so I wasn't buying guitars (many guitars besides Telecasters, btw, I just happened to bond with a Tele the best), drums, monitors, microphones, preamps, etc. to own personally, I bought them to, duh, make a little money, while at the same time being able to work in an industry I really love.

I'll call that the experienced businessman's learned wisdom side of me :)

But what happened was that when I started playing the guitar, my business side got cross wired with/by my creative side, and as any true Tele lover would do (hell, ANY guitar lover would do), I fell in love with the beauty and sound of a the Tele, and who among us on this Tele Forum wouldn't like to have a lot of great Tele's at our disposal?

Not me :)

So in summary, I know it was 100% my fault, and I'll probably keep the AVRI 52, as it seems to sound a little more clear/pristine than the RW does (I know, it's Tex-Mex versus Classic Vintage Tele pu's), but I think it looks more authentic as to how a true Vintage Tele looks, and it seems to be built better than the RW.

So F-it, I'm going to remove all the extra Telecasters (besides the 2 B-Benders which I don't play because for some reason, at least on those two, I never intended to play them, regardless of how wonderful they are) from my Home Studio, and sell (and make money which is what a good businessman should do :)

And F-it, I'm going to use the more than adequate AVRI 52 for my guitar tracks on my originals, which is what a good music creator/player should do :)

Thanks to all!
    Jerry

4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Much like you, bass player..then learned guitar..now drum & sing to place the words..turnkey studio set up, easy 6+ songs a month

My rule, making the music is priority one. And variety is important for writing. I love gear. keep a balance of 20 guitars, 10 amps & 8 cabs, 3 basses, 2 bass amps & full drum kit. All ready to record n flip of switch.

Never is the gear allowed to take place of the music making. Each song.. get the drums set in reaper to the song in my head..then a/b everything until the match..its a process..every week 1 to 2 times..fall in love with my gear all over again..get to play it all & compare ...biggest change..speaker being mic'd..& mic position..

Digiplay likes this.
  5. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Put the model names in a hat, and ONLY play that one for a month. No eBay. Reassess then.

6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Moderation is the key. Only 1 new guitar per month, except Black Friday - and oh, boxing week - that too ;)

7. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I have a similar problem. I already have a vintage hot rod 52, a Baja, a Vintera 50s modified,And a designer series Silver Sparkle. I spend more time looking up other guitars to buy and watching reviews rather than enjoying playing or even listening to music. Here’s my idea, and it might work for you. I’ll keep the vintage hot rod 52, and spend the money to buy a new Ultra in Texas Tea. That way I will know I have a two best extremes and sell the rest. The cost will be cheaper than what therapy would cost.

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I would sell the Nashville and the road worn. I'm not a fan of three pickups on a Tele, and couldn't wait to sell mine, also I don't like fake wear much, especially mass produced fake wear. It's ok when a handful have the same wear, but not hundreds.
    Your choice though, I know how easy it is to keep using Tele's, regardless of other guitars I own, they are my absolute favourite of all. Good luck no matter what you decide. :cool:

9. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Easy solution here. Do the opposite of this guy. Spend more time playing/listening and stop looking up guitars and reviews.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I second that.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.