1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need HELP on coping/recovering/moving on with my Tele obsession!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Second Quarter Report:

So far it looks like the AVRI 52 is leading, with the RW slightly behind.

As I remember in the past that the Baja was one of this Forums favorite Telecasters, and it was getting praised in abundance, where did all that love go? :)

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Coming here for help to overcome your tele obsession is the metaphoric equivalent to consulting with the guys under the bridge to help overcome a heroin addiction...

Digiplay likes this.
  3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

If I keep the 52 as my only Telecaster, would it make more sense to sell the Nashville and use that money to buy a Strat (or Gretsch :) )?

4. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

"Only Telecaster"? What's that?
    Really, bender guitars do something special. Keep the one you like the most; sell the other. The Nashville offers a diverse pallate beyond the regular Tele. Great for studio work. I still miss my '52 RI. Hard times make for hard choices. Anyway, they make for a great Tele.
    I now want the greatest variety of tones from(gasp!) the smallest pile if guitars.
    A good Gretsch is something else. That's kinda the point.

5. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I'm keeping both B-Benders johnnylaw, I hopefully made that clear in the beginning, and if not, my apologies to all Forum Members :)

Therefore, once the one of my four given examples is chosen, I'll sell all other guitars EXCEPT the B-Benders.

I'll also take your advice and look at buying a good Gretsch :)

Any recommendations?

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

@Digiplay Is your post serious or attention seeking? If you’re serious, you already know which Telecaster, or which two or three of them to keep. The way to stay out of the rabbit hole is to add to the palette. Think Gretsch. Any 6120 will do. Don’t want a LP, get an SG or an ES. Then get something else that doesn’t sound like those I just mentioned. Get a Jazzmaster or a P-90 guitar. There are lots of good P-90 guitars, from Godin to PRS. Not sure you’re making the right choice? Buy used.

Starting now, keep a (one) guitar out for a week. And get back to work. Then take another out for a week. Keep working. Stop chasing tone. It’s illusory until you find it. Then take out the one you just bought. Work with it for a week. Then work with one of the others for a week. What you’re doing is creating good work habits.

You’ll thank me later.

johnnylaw and StevesBoogie like this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

i don't see any problem with keeping that stable of axes. especially if you are not in a bad way w. respect to legal currency. are all 4 road worns different colors? that's the coolest part of your list, to me. i agree with your take on the AVRI 52s. they are splendid

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Pick your favorite color .

9. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Still no pics?

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Not playing any one guitar for very long has zero to do with the guitars. It's 100% you.

Get some discipline and stop that nonsense. You're looking for an easy way out of the hole you keep digging.

Stop asking anyone but yourself. Play your guitars and decide.

Seriously.

11. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

face it bro, GAS has your a** & there is no cure, period.
    Just suck it up, be a big boy, and get on with your Tele addiction.

12. Kennya123

Kennya123 TDPRI Member

I’ve always suffered from GAS and I recently had the money to splurge and did what you did on a lower budget level. I’ve never giggled on guitar (only as a bassist or a drummer) and I am now in possession of 6 telecasters. I purposely deleted my apps for music shops so that I am less likely to compulsively search used instruments for guitars to bring in. We only really need 1 guitar. From that point we justify having more. I’m probably the last person who should be giving advice on this but really find the one you connect with most, and move on from the rest. If you get a live gig and you need a backup you can get one later to be a backup.

Digiplay likes this.
  13. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

Have you tried a Jazzmaster? Mine is right up there with my tele’s.

14. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After many, MANY years of GAS crazyness I'm finally down to two teles, the only ones I really need: 1 AV52 and 1 classic series 60s and man, I can tell you that I'm perfectly happy now.

All I did was putting my teles in the closet and focusing on acoustic guitars: I've recently bought an Ovation Classic 1613 that is just killer and have been enjoying my Epiphone dr 500mce dreadnought. Coming back to the teles has been a pure joy and no GAS anymore.

It really depends on the music you play but I mean, a classic, an acoustic and two teles: what else does a man need?

Digiplay and StevesBoogie like this.
  15. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I hear you on the benderized Teles. For me (and I mean me), less overlap in performance among axes is an upside. I used to have four Teles; I now have one, benderized.
    Gretsch World is wide open spaces. You just have to sniff around and play as many as you can dare get your hands on during the plague.
    A good 6120 or Anniversary (or Annie Jr.) would certainly be a great start.
    I would like a mini- humbucker axe, or something with P90s, but I'm spread so thin, I can't "play enough" as it is.

Digiplay likes this.
  16. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If the topic of this thread had been, “Does anyone else get consumed with A/B’ing their guitars?” I would have been interested. No disrespect intended but there’s something about this that, to me, just seems annoying.

mbc220 likes this.
  17. mbc220

mbc220 TDPRI Member

Sorry, let me get this straight. You have been playing for a year and own four expensive guitars and spend more time comparing them than practicing? Respectfully, that’s not a problem a forum can help you with. It sounds like you even recognize it’s not making you happy. This is the wrong place because many people also own too many guitars and will justify your owning four. Keep the one that feels best in your hands regardless of the sound it makes, and set yourself a goal of how good you’ll need to be before you earn a second guitar. Repeat each time you want a new guitar—tell yourself you’ll get one when you reach a new plateau.

Digiplay likes this.
  18. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Not quite true mbc220, as I do spend time practicing, just never on the same guitar :)

Regardless, all of your points are well taken, and I wholeheartedly agree with you on every one of them!

Thanks!
    Jerry

mbc220 likes this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hopefully you will be interested in knowing that I started a Thread about this interesting question Martian :)

Jerry

PS
    No disrespect taken my man (as Denzel Washington said many times in American Gangster) :)

Martian likes this.
  20. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jerry, as someone who goes a little crazy A/B’ng guitars (and picks!) I think it’s a great topic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.