1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need HELP on coping/recovering/moving on with my Tele obsession!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Okay fellow Members,

I desperately want to break free of my buying Telecasters!!!!!!!!!!!!

I admit I have an addiction, and as such have joined the GAS (Guitar Addicts Society) which has a 6 step recovery program, I'm now on step one which is where I admit I'm powerless over buying guitars, and my musical creativity self destruction is now unmanageable.

I've only been "playing" for over a year, and I now own (or should I say, they now own me) (2) B-Benders, (1) 2008 AVRI 52, (1) 2015 Nashville Deluxe, (1) 2017 Classic Player Baja , and (4) Road Worn 50's (2008/2011/2016/2019).

I will note that I've purchased, and sold, Les Pauls and Stratocasters, but I like the Tele best, no apologies here :)

As I stated on another Thread, I believe I am a proficient songwriter, and I'm pretty good at writing, playing the drums/bass guitar/keyboards/rhythm guitar, singing, arranging, recording, mixing, etc., but all I do now almost every day is go from one guitar to another just to compare how one sounds vs another one, and all I have recorded is perhaps four songs the past 6 months (I'm capable of writing and recording around four songs a month), and now that I see what I have done to myself, I have become very depressed while at the same time hating myself immensely.

So here's where I want all of you that I consider my friends to help me, and hopefully I can get back to what I do and love the best......................getting back to songwriting and recording :)

I'm going to keep the two B-Benders (a 1996 and a 2011) in storage (away from my weak willpower hands/mind), as I believe since they are both mint, they will appreciate in value the longer I keep them.

Accordingly, I have narrowed it down to (4) guitars, but after I hear your comments/suggestions, I will sell three of them because at the end of the day, they are all Telecasters, and they sound fairly close the same.

I'll list the four now (all ash), and I'll give you my feelings/comments about each one, and maybe some of you can interpret what perhaps I can't see nor comprehend :)

1) Nashville Deluxe:
    It's 7 lbs 4 oz, has a 9.5 " Medium C neck with Medium Jumbo frets. The finish is Poly. The main draw on this one is the added Strat middle pickup, and right or wrong, I'm thinking that will give me more flexibility for different sounds that can be used on my originals. It's built very well, and the grain of the wood showing through the blonde color makes for a good looking guitar. The bridge and neck pickups sound similar to the stock RW ones, and I might replace all three with a SD Vintage Stack bridge, a SD SSL-1 middle pu, and a SD Humbucker in the neck. It seems to me that if a Session Player could only bring one guitar, perhaps this one would be it.

2) 2016 RW 50s:
    It's 6 lbs 9 oz, has a 7.75" U shaped neck with 6105 frets. The finish is Nitro, and this model is lightly relic'd which I prefer over the original one. My chord bends seem a little easier on this one than on the AVRI 52. It feels/plays as good as any of them, and as the neck is sanded, it feels "faster". The pickups sound a little louder/more midrange sounding than the AVRI 52's, and I might replace them with '51 Nocasters. The light weight is a plus. Because it's a Road Worn, something about it is fun.

3) AVRI 52 is 7 lbs, has a 7.75" modest U shaped neck with 6230 vintage frets. The finish is Nitro. This guitar seems the best built/most solid of all four, and something about being made in the US does affect my mindset. Unlike other AVRI 52's I've read about, this neck/fretboard is smooth (not sticky), and while playing chords is very easy, bending them is a little different/not quite as easy as on the RW. Its finish looks the closest to the way a vintage Tele looks than the other three do. I really like these pu's, and would not want to change them. I like this one as well as any of them.

4) Baja:
    It weighs 7 lbs, has a 9.5" soft V neck with Medium Jumbo frets. The finish is Poly. The pickups sound different, but as good as the others do, but I'm not sure I love/need the S1 switch (it add some noise as well). The Poly finish, combined with the specific blond color it has, looks great as well. I like the neck just as much as the others, but I can live/adapt with the other necks just as easily. I like it a lot as well.

So here's the question I'm sure some of you were hoping I wouldn't ask :)

Which one (and why) would you keep?

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

I would sell all of them.

Good luck!

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

No Esquire and nothing with actual jumbo frets?
    Gotta buy more guitars before getting down to less, and certainly no three pickup Tele is the solution to your addiction.

IMO you CAN have temptation all around you but only play one guitar and really love it and write your songs with it.
    Devotion to your number one though requires more sowing of wild oats!

StevesBoogie likes this.
  4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

You're not helping me here telemnemonics :)

It's like you're telling an admitted drug addict to try just a few more drugs before quitting cold turkey.

All I'm asking is which three would make the most sense to sell?

As all four Teles are basically the same, it's a totally different scenario than having to choose between a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul, and a PRS SE, wouldn't you agree? :)

Trust me on this telemnemonics..................................................................................

I believe one great Tele is a good place to start for a beginner, and I'm confident that my next purchase will not be a Tele, but perhaps a Strat or Les Paul.

Come on, throw me a bone here :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. Fireball519

Fireball519 Tele-Meister

My 0.02 cents...I would keep the AVRI. I've been jonesing for one lately.

Scratch that...its an awful guitar and the market just bottomed out. Send it to me and I'll cover shipping just to take the burden off of you:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

cbnutt likes this.
  6. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

#3 sounds like a keeper.

Do you acquire "light" Teles purposely?

7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi Nahtabot!

Every one I purchased just happened to be the weight they were.

BTW............................................................................................................

The 2011 Nashville B-Bender (9 lbs 2 oz), and the 1996 Telecaster (10 lbs) are heavier than the others.

As an aside, is the AVRI 52 I have considered lightweight (i know the 2019 RW is)?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Nahtabot likes this.
  8. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Just pick one, put the rest in their cases, lock them in the closet & don’t open the closet door until after Christmas.

Oh, and don’t buy a guitar for Christmas.

9. Renegade

Renegade Tele-Meister

AVRI 52 would be my choice. The neck on mine was very smooth as well, I had it re-fretted with 6105 narrow/tall fret wire and really prefer them over the vintage style frets.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

From the descriptions I guess the roadworn but it's impossible to really know from words.
    I consider a musician having and playing guitars to be healthy, it's only a problem if you're shopping for more instead of playing the ones you have.
    Several means you won't crave for variety!

bftfender likes this.
  11. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

If it helps, guitars aren't going to appreciate in value any more, because the supply is going to swamp demand over the next few decades.

So just pick the ones that sound the best and/or are the most comfortable to play.

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

I'm actually leaning now towards either the AVRI 52 or the Road Worn.

Did you read that I said I'm not playing ANY of them very long?

I'm too busy playng the RW for maybe 45 seconds, then playing the same thing on the AVRI 52 for about 30 seconds, then going back to the RW to make sure I heard a difference, then trying the Nashville for about 45 seconds using the bridge pickup, and then saying "Wow, I've got an extra pickup that can mimic a Strat, so let's try it!".

Then I say "Not bad, not bad", but then go back to the AVRI 52, and it sounds just as good, if not better, and so on and so on.

I hope it's obvious to you by now telemnemonics that due to my flawed personality, I would have been better off had I stopped buying Telecasters after the first one I had (an American Special), which looking back now would have done a perfectly fine job, and I would have about another 50 songs "in the can".

And that.............my friend......................IS..................................... the story :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Actually

This thread is useless without pics

oldfish and RYAN1987M like this.
  14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Sell the heaviest bender model.
    Keep the 52.
    Keep the Nashville for what "extra" it does.
    Sell the rest.
    Buy a Gretsch. :D

15. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i've been taking guitar seriously for 10 years, and playing about 20. i have 8 guitars, but i only play three guitars. the others will get dumped soon if they don't have any sentimental value.

i bought each of my guitars at certain levels of my development, or for specific types of music i was playing at the time. my rule is that i don't buy a guitar unless i commit to meeting the challenges that it asks of me, or i have a specific use for it.

IMHO if you've only been playing for over a year, you should be focusing on playing guitar, not buying them. if your playing isn't mature enough yet you probably don't have good judgment of what you really need.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    oldfish and mbc220 like this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

They all sound pretty much the same. Right? Different, but close enough. Nobody listening to your recordings will notice nor care about the things that are so interesting to you in the moment. Most listeners couldn't even tell you if there was one or multiple guitars on a recording.
    The problem you have is that selling some of these guitars puts money in your pocket, which invites more gear purchasing.
    The fact that you've purchased two b-benders means there is something there that appeals to you. So keep one of those and sell the other one. None of them are going to "appreciate" as much as a few shares of Google stock, that's for sure.

After that, I wouldn't worry so much about the tone per se and keeping the one that "sounds the best" - I'm sure they all sound great. Do you want something that really likes thin strings and low action and a light, even touch? Do you want a guitar that is conducive to heavier strings and higher action and being thwacked around a bit for a dynamic, more acoustic style of playing? Are you going to play slide guitar, or put a Bigsby on something? Sometimes you have to play around with string gauges and action to really understand what a particular guitar is going to excel at.

From your post it doesn't sound like you really know what you want to KEEP, so therefore you aren't going to be able to make a good decision about what to SELL. Just stand pat for a year or so, or maybe sell a couple and do something sensible with the funds.

PS I've been playing since 1986 and I have 5 electrics, which is at least two more than I really need.

W.L.Weller likes this.
  17. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

You could just keep one or two out, within easy reach, and mothball the others until you are sure which to sell.

For me working consistently with an instrument makes it familiar so you play it without thinking and know what it can do. Nothing in the way of the creative process.

loopfinding likes this.
  18. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

You only have FOUR???? I'd go buy a couple more.

19. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not a great lover of the AVRIs or Baja, so it would be down to 1 or 2. In theory the Nashville can do everything, but I’m not sure it does any of them really well. I’d keep the 50s RW.

20. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi johnnylaw!

FWIW, the 1996 B-Bender is worth the most because it was the first year it was made by Fender, and it's Vintage White.

Regardless, you answered my question of which one/ones to keep :)

Thanks!
    Jerry

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.