I need firewood!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, Sep 30, 2021.

1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Rummaging around out back and found some old piles of wood. Pulled it all out and was careful of the critters living in the area. Most of it is probably damp still. I will not be taking trees down on this property. So I went shopping for cords of firewood. $175.00 for a half cord, dumped in my driveway, not stacked. That was my first price. Any of you buying your wood so far?

Attached Files:

idjster and nojazzhere like this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I can relate :)

I heated my home exclusively with wood for about 15 years.

This was in the North, too - Kenai Peninsula, Alaska.

If you are going to heat with wood - you have to dedicate a certain portion of your life to providing fuel for the stove - or, if you can afford it - paying someone else to provide it.

3. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Still cutting my own here in VA~

Around here full size pickup load goes for $75-125. Some stack some don't.

dented likes this.
  4. scook

scook Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cut my own here in VA too. Most of the guys around here drive up to NoVa to sell for far more than they’d get around here.

Don’t know if they stack, but they usually sell legit size cords.

It’s too late in the year for it, but a lot of these guys will sell green wood for cheaper if you have a place to store and season it. I’ve also seen it sold cheaper cut to length but not split if you have a way to split it.

NoTeleBob and dented like this.
  5. irie

irie Tele-Holic

We already got ours. The prices here are probably average imo, less than what I was paying on the west coast.

We get 2 ricks (2/3 of a cord) for $380 + 120 for delivery/stacking and I usually give the delivery guy an extra $20 as a tip

dented likes this.
  6. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

We use about 5 cords a season. We finally found a guy who will deliver a cord for $250, and dump it where we want it. I'm OK with it not being stacked - we have room. Our backup is a nice young lady whose husband runs a tree service. He brings home stuff he cuts down, and she turns it into firewood and sells it. It's a serious operation, and she always has plenty, until at least Thanksgiving or later. That runs $100 to fill our 8 ft pickup bed, tossed in and filled to the roof of the cab. About 1/2 cord or a bit more. At 70 yrs old, I'm happy to pay the extra 50 to avoid loading and unloading.

Stubee, P Thought and dented like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

When I bought my house it had a Franklin stove. It lasted until the first kid was born. It was crazy dangerous. No more scavenging wood. No more splitting logs. No more soot in the living room. No more bugs. This is not a criticism of those who like burning wood and is especially not a criticism of those who heat with wood. It’s just not for me.

8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My wood guy--I use two of them--is coming tomorrow with two cords of fir. I get myrtle from the other one. I can't cut or buck wood any more, much as I'd like to.

JL_LI, dented and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a large Pecan tree in my backyard, and if you know Pecans, they shed limbs and branches all the time.....to the point that it's an inconvenience. I have a 55 gallon "burn barrel" that i dispose of the wood, when it's safe. (not when we have city or state burn bans in place) It's kind of a fun activity on chilly Fall or Winter evenings. Yes, I use a spark screen on top, even when we've recently had rain.
    My folks used to have a house with a fireplace. It wasn't used for heat, per se, but my dad found it more entertaining than TV. He would "piddle around" with the fire for hours. ;)

10. drf64

drf64 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My son is selling a face cord for $40 if you pick it up. He'll deliver too. but not to GA, so come on up.

dented likes this.
  11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dented, while you're stacking your firewood, I'm getting strafed by the Blue Angels in my backyard!

20210930_155216.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I have dealt with the same friend who does landscaping/tree work for a long time. He cuts me a deal, drops 2 cords at a time at 280 per. Last I heard, he was charging the local suburbanites 325.
    Honestly, it sounds like a lot, but until you have done the work...
    I wouldnt process and sell it for that.

I bring him some good work on referral though.
    Hard working dude. 7 days a week most of the year.
    I wouldnt begin to try to keep up with him, even back when I used to cut and split my own.
    Any success he has experienced is hard earned.

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I love Texas pecans. I picked them up at the Aggie research station when my son was working toward his PhD and had the good fortune make a return visit a few years back. Don’t leave campus without them.

dented and nojazzhere like this.
  14. dented

I can't even tell you how much I miss US Open, Air Show, The Pier, Zubies, Tumbleweeds, Main Street, Longboards, Hurricanes, and so much more of the little stuff. Thankx. My heart is broken having to adjust.

15. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I had 2 large trees fall on my property this year due to big storms and excess rain. I kept most of the hard Maple to build with, but the Hackberry was turned into cord wood or used for other purposes. So no buying wood this winter.

dented likes this.
  16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It actually looks to me like you've got a really nice thing going out there. The US Open was a dud this year. Bad weather and bad waves. I do enjoy the airshow though, it'll be going on Friday Saturday Sunday. They're just practicing right now. Sammy Hagar's going to play on the beach right after tomorrow's show.

dented likes this.
  17. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I have had a nice, large pecan tree in my back yard for the last 13+ years, and have never tasted ONE pecan from it! *&^%(&^%(*& squirrels!:mad::cool:

nojazzhere, dented and JL_LI like this.
  18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

1/4 way through my splitting/stacking and 3/4 of the rounds are down off the hill. We have a wood cookstove and a heat stove so two different lengths. Basically restoring our forest plot to pre logging days … killing two birds with one stone.

I give away the dead standing piss fir and green ponderosa pine to friends that are desperate and will burn anything.:lol:

PhredE and dented like this.
  19. dented

Sharing is wealth.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I’d give you some good seasoned stuff if you were closer … fellow tele player.:cool:

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.