I need advice on a Nashville B-Bender.

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The same as any guitar, I'd say. The nicer it is, the more likely you are to get top of the 'current' price range.

I probably sound pretty blasé about cost, but my own approach is to buy exactly what I want and then keep it forever. If this particular one feels good in your hands and you like the sound, I reckon that in two or three years you'll have forgotten the extra you spent, will be very happy with it, and won't want to resell.

Now you're making me think about seeing that guy 45 minutes down the road about buying his mint b-bender.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  2. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Jerry,
    Buy that B bender from your friend. And get a few instructional DVD's to go with it. Playing a B bender is more than just strumming a chord and pulling down on the B string.
    It will take you into the amazing world of guitars that bend strings>. lots of great players and guys who can mod your future telecasters.
    I own a 1999 Fender American Nashville B bender.. and you are right: its way different than its MIM cousin.
    Be warned.. once you start bending on string .. you'll want to bend more: I got into playing pedal steel guitar 10 years ago and haven't looked back!!!

T Prior and Telecaster88 like this.
  3. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Well I imagine we can use that philosophy on anything we may decide to purchase ! If a B Bender interests you then go down that road ! I bought a new one in 97, $799, sold it several years later for a grand. Never should have sold it. Then bought and sold a couple more in the +/- $1100 category over the next many years . Don't ask why. I have no answer.

I bought another Fender PG ( Nashville 2012) about a year ago for $1200 after selling another a few months earlier for I think $1150 ! Its crazy, I should have just kept the first one.

I never put any time in and always considered them EXTRA, but in fact they were not. I probably sold them to put money into another Steel.

I recently added another USA 2008 Tele with a Forrest Lee system and also purchased a Gibson Music City jr with a Glaser system. So I now have 3, and NONE are leaving ! I also have two Emmons Steels as I have been a Tele/Steel player for 40 or so years, maybe more.

Its crazy stuff but the prices have been stable on the Fender PG guitars for years. Probably decades. The new ones in 96/97 were $799, now , NOT ! We would be hard pressed to find one for $1100 or $1200.

buy the dang thing already don't worry about 3 years down the road.!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Matt G likes this.
  4. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Well, here's the way I'm starting to think about it in regards to you thinking the prices have leveled off :)

The Nashville B Benders aren't being made any more (since 2015 I believe), and I haven't found any American Telecasters that aren't made any more that haven't retained (and most likely will eventually grow in value) their value for every passing year, especially for such a specific iconic guitar as the B Bender.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the demand for a Fender Nashville B Bender should be greater than the supply from now on, and like any well kept guitar, the better its condition, that makes the demand even greater.

Does my babbling make sense T Prior? :) :) :) :)

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Sounds to me like you answered your own question.

I say go for it. :)

Matt G likes this.
  6. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I had a Nashville bender Tele ..a nice instrument imo.

Matt G likes this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I'd say your over thinking it AND if the value is so important to the decision you may very well be more focused on the gear then the musical tool it really is..... (welcome to any forum these days :) )

If you play it,like it and learn how to play on it....what does it's resale value matter?

Is learning to play the guitar and losing $100.00 afterwards as a cost of learning to play a big deal....$200, $400???......isn't the fact you learned to play the guitar the key point and not any guessed resale value loss or gain?

Don't get me wrong, I also figure value highly in to my purchase decisions BUT in this case I believe you have fixated on the value more than on the real goal which is to learn how to play one.

Not to mention I would KILL to pickup a B bender for sub $3k NZ (or therabouts).

DO it and get on with the playing man!! :)

Matt G likes this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I skipped the saga and cut to that last lines where you say you love the guitar. So buy it.

9. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

You two guys make WAY too much sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

babbling makes perfect sense to me, I've been speaking nothing but "babble" for about a decade now ! Ask my wife ! :)

The comments above are in my mind spot on. First it's a very nice USA tele , which do not GO DOWN in value, then it has the PG system, while not considered the cats meow in the scheme of things , it is very functional and really fun. It will change your entire approach to Tele playing.

All B Benders yank the B to a C#, how they do it may very well differ but the end result is still the same. We can argue about the mechanics all day long but at the end of the day it's still a B to a C#. This one is indeed a "strap Pull" system which is the dominant pull system.

The only differences I can say with regard to a post 2012 USA Bender Tele vs a PRE 2012 USA B Bender Tele would be the neck finish ,( more bleached sort of ) the control hardware, and the pups may be a tad brighter etc...Yet all excellent players while the PG system is perhaps exactly the same.

Seeing they don't make them anymore, this is a no brainer decision to grab one. As it's either this or send another Tele off to have hardware installed. We can't go to GC and grab a Bender off the wall .

End this thread already, buy the dang thing !

Matt G likes this.
  11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I second that.

Seriously.

You like the guitar.

Money will come and go, but the opportunity - probably not.

12. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Will do, THANKS to all!

P.S.

The Serial # is US110328xx, the neck does look different, and as I said, it seemed brighter than I expected compared to a 2006 MIM Nashville I tried.

On my first Post, I said the B Bender was a 2012 based upon what my friend said, but it turns out he bought it in 2012, so he assumes it is a 2012, not that it matters to him one way or the other as far as him selling it to me.

So is it a 2012 or a 2011?

13. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Any answer on the year?

As an aside, I'm guessing it's a 2011, so is that better or worse? :)

14. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Holy Crap Batman!!!!!!

It clearly says 60th Anniversary on the neck plate.

NEVER MIND :)

Emily Litella aka Jerry

15. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Tele-Afflicted

I play country music about 5% of my live playing; the balance is in various styles of P/W from gospel to jazz to mainstream. My main guitar is a '92 G&L ASAT Classic with the only Glaser double-bender, installed in 1994. There is always a way to incorporate/invent fast or slow bender licks into the songs, including controlled half-step bends within chords. All you have to do is reset your thinking to incorporate the benders into everything you play, just as with adopting a manual-bending Jerry Donahue style.

16. Havins

Havins NEW MEMBER!

For those that would like the guitar a lot lighter it is possible to do what I did. I bought an Eden Paulowania body in a silver metal flake like the Brad Paisley model and routed out the back of the body. At the same time I decided that since I bend both the B and G strings constantly I repositioned the pull string tower to line up with the G string instead. Upon reassembly It was still way too heavy for my liking so I made a duplicate plate out of 1/8" aluminum. I modified the spring tension attachment hook, shortening it up to increase the tension. I also added a short plate on the pivot to increase the throw making it a short throw G bender guitar. I swapped the white pearloid pickguard for a black one. I now have the Paisley model that Fender should have produced instead of the overpriced artist MIM model you can buy at GC....I still have the original parts that are like new. I bought the guitar used off the GC used equipment site and it came thru in new condition. I don't think it had ever been played as there was not a single mark on it. It was new out of the box condition.

17. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Havins :)

Very interesting!

Where did you find the guitar body that has a silver sparkle finish like the Paisley (which is VERY unique, btw)?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.