I need advice on a Nashville B-Bender Part 2.

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 19, 2019.

If both play and sound equally great, which would you rather own?

1. 1996 American Standard Telecaster B-Bender in Vintage White.

2. 2011 60th Anniversary Nashville B-Bender in 3 Color Sunburst.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Ain't life STRANGE guys? :)

As many of you are aware in my original Thread, I was struggling on many fronts with buying the 2011 60th Anniversary Nashville B-Bender, but thanks to my fellow Forum Members input, I bought it, and I LOVE it!!!!

But............................................................................................................................

I have another friend from my childhood days who owns a Music Store in New York, and he mentioned that he had taken in on trade a very good condition, highly playable 1996 American Standard Telecaster B-Bender in Vintage White (with original tweed case) and if I wanted it, he would sell it to me for less than $1,000.00, and so I bought it.

My thinking is that if I like it as well/better than the Nashville, I'll box up the Nashville, store it for a few years, and hopefully will make some money on it when I sell it, and if I don't like the Telecaster, I'll save the Telecaster to sell when the time and price is right.

But............................................................................................................................

If I like both equally well, my question is which one is more desirable (which in turn means it would fetch the most money)?

The way I look at it is that I can kill two birds with one stone, which translates to I will end up with at least one fine B-Bender, AND I'll make money on the other one :)

2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't vote, they are both equal in my eyes, I have owned several 96/97 models, liked them a bunch. Bought one brand new back then.
    I currently own a 2012, like it a bunch.

Now it gets down to do you like what a 3 pup guitar offers vs the 2 pup guitar ? But for a grand I would certainly buy the 96 !

The thing about it though is do you really want two Fender PG guitars, its not about the Tele but rather two PG systems. Play the Nashville, see if your approach changes, see if your desire to play a bender 100% of the time becomes reality.

If it does, it may become time to grab a Tele you love and send it off to have a custom bender installation rather than have $2500 invested in two guitars, where one you never play !

I get it that you feel the Fender PG will increase in value over the years, maybe it will. But keep in mind, someone buys a Tele they love for under a gand, they send it off to someone such as Forrest Lee jr, then for around $1500 , or less, they have great tele and a premium Bender. At some point the $$ value stops on the Fender PG.

regardless though, the 96 at a grand is a good deal. Which one would fetch more money in a few years is subjective. No answer for that one.

I attempted to sell my mint 2012 a few months back, I paid $1225 I offered it for $1400 ,not a single taker. I listed it high quite on purpose. My gut is still the same, I think $1200 for a clean nashville B Bender is the top of the market, more than that is is too close to a Tele with a custom installation.

decisions decisions ! and I'm certainly no help !

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

All great points, so THAKS!

As I said, I don't want two B-Benders, I'm going to keep one, and when I sell the other one, that will lower my cost in the one I keep.

Even though I'm VERY creative musically, sometimes I wish my right brain would mind its own business :) :) :)

T Prior likes this.
  4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Uhmmm, be careful..

I had one , sold it, then bought another, then another, then another. Once you begin playing with a Bender, you will come to learn that you don't want to play a NON Bender guitar anymore. All your licks and phrases are missing !

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I have 3. all different. all cool. love them all.

T Prior likes this.
  6. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

All of you make lucid, well thought-out, intelligent counterpoints, but as I said, sometimes I wish my right brain would mind its own business :) :) :)

Most of you are approaching this debate in terms of an artistic view, which bottom line is the most important way to play and love a guitar.

I just don't have near as any years worth of experience like all of you do, and when I look at video's of players like Pete Thorn, that sum' b***h sounds great REGARDLESS of which guitar he's playing, so I'm learning real fast that the guitar is secondary to the player :)

So, resale IS important to me (unfortunately :) ), and should I not like X guitar and want to sell it, and I've noticed that the guitars that have been modified with different pu's/necks, added B -Benders/etc., it seems those guitars don't have the re-sale value that an original non-modded guitar has.

Let me emphasize here that I willing know and accept that once I find a guitar that I love (enter the left side brain of me), I'll keep it, and I won't mind, nor care, what anyone else thinks, and if I want to mod it, I'm damn well gonna' do it!

But like I have repeatedly said, I'm NOT at the point where I know if I love a guitar or not, as I haven't bought/tried enough of them to appreciate that once I find that guitar, I'll definitely know it :)

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

partially true. great players will sound great on almost anything they play BUT... some instruments will elicit things from them that inspire them in a way that the 'magic happens'....

I know that i have been in a specific spot with an amp and guitar and things are just 'right' and it opens up a whole vocabulary that broadens what you are doing.... Ry Cooder is one of those artists who continuously tweaks with his gear to try to create those new avenues into music that thrills him.

But, resale is important... ponder this... lots of guys go after lots of flavors and have a whole bunch of midrange guitars, cheapos and good but only serviceable instruments.... and wonder why the magic doesn't last or never happens at all...

Maybe go DEEP with one instrument and really learn it's nuances.... you could get a good tele and put a hipshot on it and explore dropped d AND b bending and be able to remove and sell the guitar as original AND sell the bender too...

the other rule if you are power dating (it sounds like you are) never buy new...

T Prior likes this.
  8. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

If you don't own a Stratocaster, keep the Nashville. It has its own thing going on, but at least you can coax some Strat tones from it. But both guitars are awesome !!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.