I need a Tweed...Which one?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by JazzboxBlues, Dec 9, 2018.

1. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Unfortunately... no :(.
    Lack of proper tools (I even don't have a smartphone anymore :lol: )

But it sound sweeeeeet ! 2xWeber Alnico 10", switchable NFB, "bright" switch (for low volume setting), Bendix 5Y3, La Radiophonique 6V6G Coke Bottle, RCA blackplates 12AX7.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Sounds tweeditively dreamy...

3. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

Tweed tone . . . :)

My tweed tone explorations are limited to 5F1 and 5E3, so I can't really address the other variants.

As has been mentioned or alluded to, speaker choice can make a big difference in what that tweed amplifier actually sounds like.

You're always going to have that characteristic tone, but the speaker can make a big difference in whether the break-up comes on early or later and also whether it's smoother and creamy or more aggressive, and to some extent how loud it is.

You want earlier break-up? Try a smooth cone with a small magnet and voice coil.

Later break-up? A more substantial and heavier-duty speaker.

Louder? A more substantial and efficient speaker.

These are just generalities, but I've found that the choice of speaker makes a very big difference.

I think Ted Weber must have put a lot of time into experimenting with the relationship between tweed tone and speaker design. I've found the speaker info on the Weber site to be very helpful.

I've run my 5F1 and 5E3 through all different types, sizes, and combinations of speakers, and there is enough difference in tone and sound between speakers to make a person wonder if it's even the same amplifier! :)

Best Regards,
    Geo.

4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I agree. Speaker choice is a pretty important consideration for any tweed amp.

5. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Blonde, brunette, redhead.

They're all beautiful.

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Too funny, and too true!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Grandma's Tele

Grandma's Tele Tele-Meister

And why not a small Bassbreaker 007 ?

8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've built a Tweed Vibrolux and a couple Harvards. My favorites by far over a Deluxe. Some tweaking either way can keep them pretty dang clean all the up the dial with amazing, fat Tweed "cleans", or go the other direction and get it down and dirty and low headroom and raunchy. All with a bias pot and tuning the negative feedback. A 5e3 has the dirt to spare, but it takes a lot more modifying to get a clean 5e3 on the same level as a Harvard or Vibrolux than it does to get a Harvard or Vibrolux that can do AC/DC on 5-6.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.