I need a tough EL84...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by E5RSY, Oct 11, 2018.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's gonna be a while before I get around to these, they're for a Marshall 18-watt clone. I've used Russkis from Sgt. Overdrive in that amp before and loved them. The amp is presently in pieces being rebuilt.

2. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

my first thought was some old RCA 6BQ5's ive rarely had problems with old american tubes.
    my brother repairs amps on the east coast and says a lot of new tube brands are junk

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I bought 2 matched pairs of 6p14p-ev’s from Viva Tube.

One of the tubes in the first pair was a little rattle-y but nothing that a ring couldn’t cure. It was not microphonic.

I currently have the second pair in my Vox AC 15 . Also have a trash-picked Telefunken ECC81 in V3 . Crazy how much that tube in that position affects the sound vs a regular 12AX7 there.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Tele-Meister

If I may offer my opinion. Check out the Telam or Polam EL84's from Poland. Very much heavy duty and affordable like the Russian 6p14p tubes. They have a very unique sound unlike any other EL84 I've tried and I've tried them all. If raunchy filthy rock n roll grind and distortion is your goal these are the best.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Did they ever show up? Verdict?

6. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

Oh yeah... they are here. :)
    Got them a while ago...

Not had a chance to get them installed and biased up.
    Too much other stuff going on...

Have not forgot about this, will report when I get them installed.

E5RSY likes this.
  7. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

It long has been a common practice - though maybe not the best - for EL84 amps to push the power tubes way beyond design specs. My Crate Vintage Club 50 heads (I have two of them) typically are running in the 390 volts + range. My Epiphone Galaxie 25 was running them at around 370.

In the golden days of western power tubes, you'd use 7189s for an EL84 design pushing 400 volts. There was another EL84 variant that handled even higher plate voltages, but I'm drawing a blank now on it.

In today's market, you've got slim pickings if your EL84 design amp is pushing plate voltage in the 400+ range. JJ has told me that from anecdotal evidence their EL84s can survive in amps calling for up to 425 volts. In my Crates, one has a quad of 6P14P-EVs and the other has a quad of JJs. But I'll also note that the stock Sovtek EL84s held up just fine for years.

My bottom line suggestions is that if you have an EL84 design amp that calls for plate voltage in the 400 range, go with the 6P14P-EVs.

Hammerhead and awasson like this.
  8. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

What has always confused me is why the Soviet military used so many tube amps. I wonder whether they had a preference for Marshall or Fender?

Hammerhead likes this.
  9. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

Not forgetting Gregg at HiTest tubes. I have had some very nice tubes from him, all in original boxes. Warning! They ain't cheap.
    https://www.hitestguitars.com/

Pretty sure Brent Jessee has some good stock
    http://www.audiotubes.com/6bq5.htm
    I've never bought from him so you need to do some more research but I think his rep is good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Thermionic valves have better resistance to EMP than solid state electronics :)

Rick330man and awasson like this.
  11. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

A lot of times what sounds like tube rattle is something else-usually the tube retaining springs in older models. In these amps people would change tubes- think it fixed the problem, when they really just found a sweet spot on the retainer- which after a while vibrates loose again and the tube is blamed. I am basing my comment on the original run amps-but I have still seen spring retainers on later and other fender models.

12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I assume that was meant as a joke - but if not (and for the many younger forum members unaware of tube history)-

The Russians (Soviets years ago) DIDN'T use tube amps.

Vacuum tubes have thousands of uses other than audio amplification. The first "5881" wafer-base tube sold by Sovtek was not a 5881. It wasn't a 6L6 either. It wasn't an audio tube at all. It was a servo tube used on Soviet Tupolev TU-22M Backfire and TU-16 bombers and other aircraft. They happened to be rugged, and with a base modification made a serviceable - if mediocre in the opinion of many - amp tube.

A lot of credit goes to Mike Mathews of New Sensor/Sovtek/EH for working with the Russians and other overseas tube makers, investing money in and getting small sections of plants dedicated to the production of audio (no6t ust guitar amp) tubes.

Rick330man likes this.
  13. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

Yep, it was a joke.

Silverface likes this.
  14. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thought so, but wanted to cover some of the historical bases for some of the younger gang and newbies that might not have the background to "get" it.

Personally, I thought it was friggin' hilarious! :lol:

15. Rick330man

Some folks might not know the difference between a MiG 15 fighter and a MiG 50 guitar amp.

16. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I believe the Mig 15 has more prominent mids.

17. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

It does hum quite badly though, and occasionally goes WOOOOSH too.

However, it's attack is pretty fast, and it makes speed playing easy. Like one of the fastest guitar solo ever.

Silverface likes this.
  18. Rick330man

History tells us it was the Marshall line.

There is no Fenderski, but Marshall Zukhov and Marshall Stalin were quite prominent.

Slippery Jack and Hammerhead like this.
  19. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf Tele-Meister

The russians used tubes in their fighter jets. And still do. Thats why they dont use JJs. Tube failure at 10 thousand feet is a worse problem than your vox crapping out at a gig.

20. Rick330man

7320 - That's the toughest of the EL 84 variants and is the one I that I couldn't think of back in post #67. Design specs were something like 440 volts on the plates and 14.4 watts output, as opposed to 330 and 12, respectively for your standard EL84/6BQ5.

Occasionally, a good pair will pop up on Ebay or at some Hamfest. Otherwise, my experience is that they are quite difficult to find.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.