I need a new chair!

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I worked for a furniture family when I came off the road for the winter in my 20's, mostly to drive trucks. Yeah, it was a dead end job, but they hired me back every winter & it paid the bills. What I learned is:

You get what you pay for.

No furniture is childproof.

It is easy to make junk look pretty.

Sit in it before buying because furniture store owners will sell their dog before entertaining your request for a return.

Driving a heavy truck in January across northern Iowa in a snow or ice storm, or wind, should be at the bottom of everyone's list.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I've usually bought used office chairs from local thrift stores. I get a good deal and a local organization gets the money for a food bank and medical care.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
We just bought two of the motorized recliners locally. They were on sale. We bought the ones that stand you up. Four weeks of Mrs not being able to get out of her chair following back surgery convinced us to just bite the bullet and admit old age as a looming specter in our lives.

But, we have had good success on Overstock.com as well.

old soul

Tele-Holic
I got mine at an IKEA. Its a single, padded dining room chair without arms. works great and is a kinda trippy pattern

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I get most of our furniture used on Craigslist and have done outstandingly well - very high quality stuff for peanuts. Got a great armless task chair for my guitar space for $20. However, there are occasional exceptions. I had been using a desk chair from Staples, but then my wife bought me some special office chair from this store called Relax the Back, which was obscenely expensive but I have to admit is fantastically comfortable.

raito

Poster Extraordinaire
I worked for a furniture family when I came off the road for the winter in my 20's, mostly to drive trucks. Yeah, it was a dead end job, but they hired me back every winter & it paid the bills. What I learned is:

You get what you pay for.

No furniture is childproof.

It is easy to make junk look pretty.

Sit in it before buying because furniture store owners will sell their dog before entertaining your request for a return.

Driving a heavy truck in January across northern Iowa in a snow or ice storm, or wind, should be at the bottom of everyone's list.

Did that moving to Texas. I-80 was closed. Had to take the back way into Des Moines to pick up I-35. I was in Oklahoma before the ice melted enough to open the back of the moving van to see if everything was OK.

Mark E Rhodes

Tele-Meister
I was looking for a chair recently and someone here recommended this one, an Amai task chair. I got it from Madison Seating for around $300. It's great for sitting at my studio desk for long sessions. I can play guitar in it too. It's a well crafted item.
upload_2021-11-24_9-26-28.jpeg

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
For lazing around in front of the TV? Man you need comfy and the ability to hold warmth if you are in a cold weather area. A place to hang your blankie over the arm with room for the remotes. I would simply look up "comfy TV chair" and see what comes up. Then I would look at local Craigs.... and see what is out there. This is a good time to buy off CL. Make sure to ask about the use by pets and old sick granny if you need to. Good luck on finding a quality seat.

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Just use a toilet...comfortable, no arms, and dual purpose

This is a fantastic idea for really old guitarists who still take the stage but have to sit while they play. Far fewer breaks. More music. Oddly interesting entertainment for a select few.

Recce

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
BC454C0E-0778-4320-A1CE-0817A7D575E2.png
Computer generated picture.

My wife and I have two chairs in order from Thomasville since March. My wife called the store again and was told maybe December, probably January. 2022? 2023? Sit in the chair before you buy it and only buy from stock if you need it.
I have the same wait going with my Ford Bronco. Ford finally sent an email that my Wildtrak will be an early 2022 build but no build date. So I am thinking first quarter, January to March, 2022.

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
View attachment 922699 Computer generated picture.

I have the same wait going with my Ford Bronco. Ford finally sent an email that my Wildtrak will be an early 2022 build but no build date. So I am thinking first quarter, January to March, 2022.
I ordered a 2022 BMW Z4 the last in June and took delivery 7 weeks later. The dealer had a place holder order that we were able to change to our exact build spec. The car is the only thing we ordered in 2021 that was delivered on time. In fact, it was delivered three days before it’s scheduled delivery date. Happy motoring.

modavis99

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Design Within Reach will give you good ideas. Wayfair and West Elm (around here) will have more moderately priced items with a similar design style

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Desk chair? or recliner? or....?
Last recliner I bought a Laz Z Boy finally. Nope, dont like it. Their mechanism is terrible! I'd just been buying cheap ones new for like $300 every 3-4 years. They were better than the Laz Z Boy!
Desk chair? Go to a used office supply place, you can get a nice quality one cheap.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
Just use a toilet...comfortable, no arms, and dual purpose

I get most of my good thinking done there!
Highly recommend!

Seriously though, I spend way too much time there (TMI..I know)

I have an odd digestive system that has yet to be figured out $20+k later in medical tests, procedures.

I wanted to get a padded toilet seat, but my wife said she'd leave me if I got one before I'm 65 :p