1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need a new book.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jan 16, 2021.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I read it as a teen in the late 70s. It started my infatuation with all things Japanese (except anime), and is why I took 2 years of Japanese language in college.

drewg likes this.
  2. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

"Dangerous and irresponsible"

What does that mean, if anything?

1955 likes this.
  3. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Several of my favorites: Iliad, Odyssey, Moby Dick, and Madam Bovary. Now that I have impressed everyone :lol: I also have read most of the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Fun but somewhat predictable.

drewg likes this.
  4. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Consider Cortazar’s novel “Hopscotch” (Rayuela); you can read it in varying order of the chapters which make different stories.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    drewg likes this.
  5. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Have you tried Bill Bryson? Fun, funny, smart stuff.
    • A Short History of Nearly Everything
    • A Walk in the Woods
    • Home
    • The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
    If you want fiction, an anthology of short stories can be very useful. You can browse around and then look further into authors you like.

If you want eloquently thoughtful personal narrative-type essays on human nature and nature, Loren Eiseley is great:
    • All the Strange Hours
    • The Night County
    • The Star Thrower

6. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

It's fiction - so possibly not your thing, but I absolutely loved Ken Follet's "Pillars of the Earth". That one stuck with me for some reason.

drewg likes this.
  7. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Impossible to pick one book. but if I were to ask myself what my one desert island book would be, I would first try to cheat, frankly, by choosing the complete works of Shakespeare or Goethe, but that's not playing by the rules, so the single book would be Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. It really is a mountain of a book - it's a struggle to climb it - but I think it's the most brilliant novel ever written. I have reread it every few years for the past 40 years. I see more deeply into all sorts of things every time I read it, or so it seems to me.

If it weren't so short (and dark) I'd consider Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy, which is in the running for the greatest American novel of the 20th century. (an opinionated s.o.b, eh?)

If I could get it past the rulebound types, I might try for Will and Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization - 11 volumes, 10,000 pages - which is an education unto itself. No need to pay some gaggle of perfessers, woke to the point of being brain-dead, to educate that kid: just make him read Will and Ariel three times through.

If I were to choose a book for sheer deep pleasure it would be Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, which I really do consider a (vast) single novel. I've reread all 22 books several times. Each time is like an extended trip to another world. It's Jane Austin - O'Brians favorite writer - for the tesosterone crowd. The people in that world are real. You come to know them. Unless you're determined to read them in order, I would start with Thr AMauritius Command, which is a heartbreakingly brilliant character study (of Lord Clonfort). It's an intense pleasure that book.

If it had to be poems - and why not? - that's easy: the Complete Works of Wallace Stevens.

MisterZ and drewg like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

9. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I just finished "Spying on the South". (Horowitz) Very interesting book.

Before the Civil War a guy named Olmstead toured from Virginia to SW Texas spending like 3 years. He wrote articles about it for a NY newspaper.

This author of "Spying on the South" follows his route by similar means: river boat, horseback, train etc and compares today, 170 years later, to back then. Very interesting from a "people" standpoint, but also from a nature perspective. Surprisingly SW Texas is some of the most interesting stuff.
    BTW; the original writer Olmstead ended up being the designer of Central Park later in life!

Other good books I've read recently:
    The Underground Railroad- Colson Whitehead
    Night- Elie Wiesel
    Backroads- Tawni O’Dell
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle- David Wroblewski
    White Oleander- Janet Fitch
    Black and Blue- Anna Quindlen
    The Storyteller- Jody Picoult
    Bright’s Passage- Josh Ritter
    The Book of Koli
    Shantaram
    I Know This Much is True
    anything Barbara Kingsolver

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Big_Bend and Harry Styron like this.
  11. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

I always wanted to read Magic Mountain, and you just reminded me. Thanks!

Addnine likes this.
  12. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I remember driving by 542 East Parkway South in Memphis as a young man’s monocular violating Salinger shrubbery, perhaps hoping to charge legal pad ponderings with empirical truth I had not lived long enough to earn.

Lucius Paisley likes this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

My sister earned her PHD in neuroscience and every so often we lock horns on the pronunciation of “data.” If academia is the penultimate latch on the Skinnerian box of market volatility, then why was I the one painting the walls of her house before the Lehman collapse?

14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Tales of the Otori (trilogy)- Lian Hearn
    Frankenstein (My favourite of what you would call classics)
    Anything by Philip K Dick

drewg likes this.
  15. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I used to wander through musty roledexes of sport-coats on the thrift store floor, peeling out to leak-ceiling mirrors and sandalwood mantels, perhaps to step into someone else’s sadness.

Of course, I didn’t own a hand steamer, so as the lights of the stage married with the pits of my pretension, I smelled that which I shouldn’t, the audience saw that which I wasn’t.

A pillowcase and Woolite can get you a ticket on the train, but other people’s ideas can land you in great and unnecessary peril.

drewg likes this.
  16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

1B45E2C6-B529-42D6-9685-3AF0F6BD6799.jpeg 12A77B21-A283-4898-9E16-5D733A6E0AA3.jpeg
    I wish I still had a few of my treasures. Ended up popping the trunk for some goatee scratchers who couldn’t possibly appreciate the sacrilege of my page notes. Still, for some reason I kept this one.

archetype likes this.
  17. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

I think I can promise you'll never forget this.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

- Jonathan Swift

[​IMG]

Martian, Stubee, flatfive and 3 others like this.
  18. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

My brother would tell me about Ignatius, I never read it but he loved it.

19. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

I see what you mean...
    You, sir, are a great writer, and it sounds like you’ve got some ideas of your own.
    Good fiction helps us to think critically about the real world and reminds us of humanity; things we need far more of, these days.

1955 likes this.
  20. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

Frankenstein is outstanding!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.