1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need a cure! For acrylic lacquer.

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peltogyne, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

It's been more than a few months and a duplicolor finish is still taking fingerprints if I hold it. I'm interested in hearing any tricks or stories to speed up curing. I heard of someone making a hot box but don't have any details.

Can I use my oven :D any details on how much heat speeds things up? Like if I kept it at 110ºf versus 70ºf would it go twice as fast? At what temp. do things start to melt off?

Would this help or just make things worse?

[​IMG]

2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

Good news, I hung mine behind the woodstove two months ago. measured the typical temp that at 25C Its, its... ALMOST THERE! I think the very dry heat helped quite a bit. I'll betcha if I had a fan on it she'd be ready.
    Bad news, the neck pup route i filled has a definite drop line. the filler wood must have shrunk or something. It was sanded level at one time, I think it was poplar.

live and learn. it'll be covered by a guard anyway, but it would have been nice to have the option.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I've never been too keen on the Paisley type finishes, but I really like yours. What actually is the paisley on yours, paper, cloth ?? How is is it done ? As for the wood filler, I've had my share of woes with that stuff. Someone here recommended MinWax High Performance wood filler, but that was more like a bondo. Also tried the epoxy route, but I haven't applied the finish yet.

I would really like to see pix when you finish the guitar.

4. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

It's fabric, a very sheer almost see-through fabric. I glued used a chunk of poplar in the route, but it shrunk back. Was not wood filler. Maybe that wood have been better. LOL
    And, I can't wait to see this thing buttoned up either, but I'm not rushing it. Project thread over here: http://www.agileguitarforum.com/showthread.php?tid=255

5. Peltogyne

Hmm, that's only 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Mines hanging in the path of the hot air from my heater and near a ceiling fan so it gets circulation. Seems like it's in about a good a spot as it gets in my house. It's getting close to ready but it's been 10 weeks already :eek:

Some people seem to be ready in a week or two and I've read of a few taking more than half a year. I'll just wait patiently :rolleyes:

6. Peltogyne

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

don't sweat it too much. if you look at David Gilmour's black strat when the light hits it right, you can clearly see where the fairly large wood plug has sunk in behind the bridge. he had a Kahler installed there in the early 80's but didn't like it, so had the original vintage trem put back and the hole from the Kahler filled with a piece of wood and repainted. i think the body is just about the only original piece left on that guitar these days, but it's the same one he's had since 'Live At Pompeii'.

i honestly didn't even notice yours the first couple times i looked at the picture though. i think because the paisley is kinda "busy", it helps camouflage it. i think if you put a clear guard over it (maybe one of those chopped '69 Thinline types?), you'd barely be able to see it at all.

here's a question: could you mask it with painter's tape and spray several more coats just in that area to level it out with the rest of the finish? or would that just make it more noticeable?

8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Duplicolor clear is horrible. The guys from TDPRI steered me away from it when I did a refinish last year. The acrylic colors are fine, but their clear almost never fully "cures."

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

I've thought about that, but in my total experience of four refins, (not a lot), I've found that there are things to worry about, and things a guy just needs to let go of and chalk up as tuition. Now if this was a commission job for someone else, I would have to, I think. Attempts at patching things always end up looking even more patched for me. Just like the original wooden insert, a kind of patch job in itself. While it was completely level six months ago, now it just looks patched. I think it would be quite a few coats to level it out again, and after five months waiting for cure on the first stuff, I honestly don't have the patience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.