I need a case for an LP Jr . . .

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Tom in Georgia, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Hi Folks,
    My daughter will be starting guitar lessons in a couple of weeks using an Epiphone LP Jr and I need to come up with a (hopefully) inexpensive hard case for her. Any and all suggestions are sincerely appreciated.
    Thanks and Kindest Regards,
    Tom

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Consider a decent gig bag. A LP Jr is short-ish and will fit in most any gig bag, and they are SO much easier to haul around, with the shoulder straps.

A hard case adds considerable bulk and weight, and really you don't need that much protection, for a slab-bodied guitar.

Just a thought

985plowboy and AlbertaGriff like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

LP Jr hard cases also seem harder to find due to the shallower neck angle. All the TKL ones they were doing a while back are out of stock at the places I checked. Even the Gibson guys years ago didn't have any luck:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/case-for-a-les-paul-jr.1028530/

A standard LP case with a towel to make up some of the thickness is most people's easy-mode on this one if you have to have a hard case, which I would generally prefer over a gigbag with tilt-back headstocks.

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I had a 2003 Gibson Melody Maker that was the same specs as a Les Paul Jr and was surprised that there aren't very many hard case options available, let alone affordable ones. I ended up getting a TKL that was nice, but probably more than you're looking to spend. I believe that and the Gibson Chainsaw cases from the 70s were about the only ones I could find. I'd look for a gig bag.

blowtorch likes this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

As a general rule, I prefer hard cases to gig bags.

Having said that, I am assuming you might find yourself paying more for a hard case than you did the guitar.

I've owned one gig bag over the years. Bought at GC. Name brand was road runner. It was entirely adequate and I really did think it was easier to get around with than a hard case.

In this instance, gig bag would serve admirably.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Roadrunner gig bag seconded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

985plowboy and blowtorch like this.
  7. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I use an Access brand bag for my main guitar and it has survived several years of pretty hard use now.

blowtorch likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.