1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I need a C-standard guitar

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by E-miel, Jan 15, 2021.

1. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Good day to everyone!

Last half year I took a break from building my previous and almost finished Begoge guitar. But since a week I started again with the last finishing and setup stages of that guitar and rolled right into a new project. I don't know how long this new project will take and how extensively I will document it's construction, but i figured build photos are always welcome.

Lets start with the design. This time around I would like to build a double cut strat type guitar to complement my previous build.

design.png

The bridge, knobs and complete neck are the same as on my previous guitar, I just made a new body shape. I tried to mimic the "double bend" in the contour of the horns.

design_textured.png

This picture has the actual wood added. Wengé for the guitar top, marblewood for the fretboard and headstock veneer. Not in this picture are the mahogany for the body and the black limba for the neck.

I hope you will enjoy this one.

Greetings,
    Emiel

Jim_in_PA, nnieman, NoTeleBob and 2 others like this.
  2. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

I think I'll keep the text on this thread a bit shorter. I struggle a bit to type something original every time.

Off camera I resawed, planed, edge jointed and glued the wenge top piece.
    IMG_20210115_131759.jpg
    IMG_20210115_131736.jpg
    (with my non-final neckjoint shape)

And received some wood!
    IMG_20210105_173648.jpg

Ripped the greenish part off the neck blank, this will make another neck in the future.
    IMG_20210115_131636.jpg

Sawed and planed the scarf joint.
    IMG_20210110_162229.jpg

I sawed it in a non standard way to make the grain match up. A quick sketch:
    scarf joint.png

And ripped a piece off the neck blank, one side is still straight for routing the trussrod channel. The grain match looks a bit off here, but on the bottom it's almost perfect. We'll see what happens when I start carving the neck.
    IMG_20210115_131701.jpg

Emiel

Jim_in_PA, KirbyBarba, pavel and 5 others like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good!

crazydave911 and E-miel like this.
  4. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

A "C" scale? Aren't you doing a long scale neck? Maybe 26 3/16"?

E-miel likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ That was my question - are you tuning to C standard? If so give some serious consideration to scale and strings. One of my 12 strings is designed to be tuned to B or C, it is 26.5 scale and strung with cables.

E-miel and crazydave911 like this.
  6. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Thank for your replies.

Once it's finished I'm going to set it up to be tuned in C standard. I did consider a longer scale length, but after trying the tuning on my 25" scale acoustic with thick strings I decided not to. I will use a .011 - 0.054 set, normally I play 0.009 - 0.042 on this scale length.

I calculated the string tension of every string in my current setup and selected a set that comes close to it in C-standard tuning. So I think I'm good, might be wrong. Any thoughts?

Thanks for thinking along @crazydave911 and @Freeman Keller. I appreciate it.
    Emiel

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
  7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

11's in c standard?? on a PRS scale? thats gonna be flubby as hell man. I tried 11's down to D silde tuning and my glass slide would bottom out so bad, even on a larger nut, those metal temporary ones that go over the regular nut.

Brothers Landreth play in C standard i think and they use 15-16's.

i put my 15's on a Dillion Strat copy. tuned to d. barely holds up my gob of glass.

11's in C....maybe on a 28inch scale. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

newb

8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

E-miel, you are correct, on a 25 inch scale a set of 9 - 42 is right at 86 pounds at concert, your 11 - 54 is 83 pounds tuned down four semi tones. I am surprise that your acoustic works with that low of tension - that is roughly half what a normal set of light gauge acoustic strings pulls at concert.

Anyway, it will work. I ran the compensation wizard and for a 0.054 string tuned to 65 hz you will need at least 0.340 inch of compensation - make sure you have that much travel.

My experience is with low tuned acoustic guitars and in general they are much happier with longer scales. Good luck with yours.

crazydave911 and galaxiex like this.
  9. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Hello @Freeman Keller thank you for double checking my calculations. :)

The 0.009 - 0.042 I normally use are on my electrics. My (only) acoustic has a set of 0.011 - 0.054. Used that for the test, it is tuned back to standard now. (But to be honest, I liked the lower tension. I'm not really a good player.)

We will see how it works out, if I don't like it I have a good excuse for a next build with longer scale. ;)

Emiel

10. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Somewhere in the 26" range at least. Better still, and the only Fender Tele I've owned is the 27" Subsonic scale. Easily made and played, I had it in C most of the time. Wish I hadn't sold it :(

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

my classical is 26" and handles C standard with those floppy nylons okay. i wouldn't want to go less than 25.5" for clean playing. if it's going to be a metal machine i don't think you really have a problem, a little floppiness is part of so many bands' sounds, despite modern taste for combatting it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Since the last photo I glued on the headstock veneer. Today I did some work on the neck. Routed for the truss rod, shaped the headstock and trimed the sides.

IMG_20210221_224417.jpg

IMG_20210221_173356.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Tonight I worked on the neck again. I fine tuned the sides and worked on the headstock.

Marked the tuner hole locations.
    IMG_20210222_192641.jpg

I set the depth stop of my drillpress so the brad point just pokes through into a sacrificial piece of MDF.
    IMG_20210222_192847.jpg

Which leaves nice markers for drilling from the back.
    IMG_20210222_193321.jpg

Resulting in clean tuner holes on both sides.
    IMG_20210222_193756.jpg

IMG_20210222_193620.jpg

Concluding with a naptha preview.
    IMG_20210222_193918.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.