I need a beach guitar. Fender Malibu Player small body acoustic?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bluego1, May 8, 2019.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I wore out my Malibu (2005?) playing anywhere and everywhere. It was my campfire guitar, my beach fire guitar and my home practice acoustic. It held up great, but wore out the frets eventually. I have a friend with an old '60s Malibu that he glued the headstock back on and he still uses it for campfire jamming. Now, with that said, I found a better replacement. An Epi EL-00 Pro. It is has much more lower end boom at the ocean and rowdy campfire jammin'. It is so good, my wife bought one for herself. The EL-00 has a more bluesy sound, which I like. The Malibu has more of a neutral voicing.
    Good luck and nothing like beating the top hard of either guitar for percussive sounds over ocean waves.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  2. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Too bad you can't get your hands on a Woody, middle guitar. Only made a couple hundred I believe. Nice player, paint job by John Severson, Instruments 4-3-19.JPG

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Back in high school, my good friend had an Aria acoustic that probably lived at the beach or by a campfire more then it lived at home. He had it and some conga drums and they all got passed around at beach parties.

Maybe one of these?

Fender Surfer Girl.jpg

Fendereedo and Bluego1 like this.
  5. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

A freind has the Newporter he plays when taking time out on his farm or boat which I think the same as Malibu but longer scale neck. Perfect size for what he uses it for & sounds pretty darn good IMO when kicking back sinking a few beers or waiting for the fish to bite.
    Not that expensive either.

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

2 things come to mind:
    1. Beach guitar = whatever is used and cheap at Music-Go-Round or Guitar Center, I wouldn't buy a new guitar for camping and the beach and such.
    2. If you're going to play at the beach, then you are outside with noise from the water, people, etc., so you are going to want a bigger body. A small travel guitar will be frustrating when nobody can hear it.

The guitar I keep sitting on a stand and play most often is an Epiphone I got used at Guitar Center for $50. Been playing it for years and it's big and cheap enough to take to the beach.

Bluego1 likes this.
  7. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

+1 on the Rainsong. Much better sounding guitars than people realize, and stay in tune in and out of AC, out to the beach, on a boat, etc. I love mine.

Chuckster and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

Good point, though I used the term beach guitar a bit frivolously. It’ll actually be more of a dock guitar (pretty quiet lake) and so I should be fine with something less bulky (and soundy) than a big old dread like my Mountain. I just love the color and matching headstock and smallish size of that new Fender Malibu I referred to in the OP.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh, and BTW, @Bluey reminded me of something. Not sure what they are doing now, but my Malibu came in both scale lengths. Just be aware.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

That might be the ugliest guitar I’ve ever seen! Ymmv.

11. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  12. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Breedlove Discovery.
    I got it used for $150.
    Good knock around guitar.
    Mine is a Concert, smallish body.

13. optofonik

optofonik Tele-Meister

It ain't the beach but...

A Dandy Practice Space.jpg

However, if you want a less robust solid top for your beater as opposed to a tough as nails all lammy the CC-60S is, IMO, the absolute best option for buying a new beater guitar with a warranty and solid return policy (it also cost less than the JD). GC will match the price so go now and play one before passing judgement. I had to ask to see one because none were on the sales floor. Employees saving them for themselves??? Maybe; they're that good and might be in limited supply.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...ic-guitar-pack-with-3-free-months-fender-play

The sunburst version is stunning but is twice the price. The version in this "Acoustic Guitar Pack", however, is the kind of black that would make "The Man In Black" proud. Marketing this guitar in a starter pack turned it into the quintessential "sleeper", IMO.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

If it was me I'd just go on AMZ or MF or GC dotcom and find the best reviewed $100 guitar and buy that. Don't even need a bag, just toss it in the back of the car and go.

Face it, campfire tone critics are few and far between. ;)

optofonik and Bluego1 like this.
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’m gonna go with the Fender Malibu. I’m not worried about trashing it. I’ll mostly be playing for family down on the dock and I want it for couch noodling, too, so don’t really want a super-economy thing unless I lucked into something (I like to sound good even when noodling). I dig the look of it. Just need to square it with the budget. Hopefully this year.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.