1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I "Nashville'd" My 92 Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike M, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

My 92 tele, which I dropped 3 days after buying it in 92, hence the true life relicing on the sides, and mint green pick guard to make it look aged.

Truss Rodd was all the way turned, so got new roasted Maple neck, and put Seymour Duncan Humbucker in the neck, and Area 58 in the middle, will a push/pull on the tone to get bridge/neck and all 3 pups.

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3642.jpg

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I know there are different thoughts about the first ding feeling but, man oh man, that much damage that soon must have hurt.

MAXXFIELD and Mike M like this.
  3. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Ed Driscoll and Mike M like this.
  4. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

3 days in, while doing laundry the strap broke and it fell to the concrete floor, cracking the sides.

I took it back to Matt Uminov's on Bleeker, where I bought it, and had them sand down the sides, and exchanged the white pick guard for a mint green one. It instantly looked aged, and this is before Fender started "relicing" guitars.

Even the guys at Uminovs where amazed how great it looked. It had a Rosewood neck on at the time, and the repair guys said "it looks like a 62 now", of course minus the new bridge and tuners

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    brookdalebill likes this.
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

How do you like your new tones??

6. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I love them! The neck/middle, and the middle/bridge are amazing, very similar to strat, and with just the neck, I get a great humbucker sound.

superjam144 and That Cal Webway like this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I can see that, once you got over the initial shock and got your head round it it wasn’t so bad. Definitely time heals and you have a unique naturally, all be it accidentally, relic’d Tele.

Mike M likes this.
  8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

You might consider installing a 5 way Strat-type switch with a push-pull and get all 7 tones. What I did on my $50 Sawtooth. The old girl sounds more like a Strat on 2 & 4 than a lot of Strats I have heard.

DSCN3322.JPG

McGlamRock, 4pickupguy and Mike M like this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I do have the 5 way and push/pull to get all 7, LOVE IT!

preactor likes this.
  10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

At the time it got cracked back in 92, I only had the sides sanded down partially. My guitar tech who did the neck and new pickups, sanded them down further, as you can see below, the areas were very white, and I didn't think it looked right, so he took a torch to them and darkened, them, and I think they look great now. I was not expecting that, I thought he was only going to stain them darker.

Before:

IMG_3602.jpg

After:

IMG_3642.jpg

4pickupguy likes this.
  11. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

I've been thinking about going the other direction and Esquire one of my Telecasters.

I'm definitely no Pete Anderson but this is what I think of when hearing the Fender Sound.

capt pearl and Mike M like this.
  12. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Sweet guitar! I'm GASing bad for a Nashville Tele

Mike M likes this.
  13. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

That's the only way to go. Get everything you can.

Mike M likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve though about it many times but I can’t get passed the three odd pickups, appearance wise. I know it’s daft but put a Tele neck or bridge pup in the middle and I just might.............OCD I know!

preactor likes this.
  15. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I've always thought about a Nashville Tele, but never liked the colors available or the fact they seemed not to be at the top of the Fender line.

I have a normal Butterscotch Tele as well. I love the Tele neck pick up on that one because I had the tone control disconnected from it (thanks Zac Childs), and that gives it a little extra kick and volume, plus it keeps great tone when the selector switch is in the middle, because you are only reducing some highs from the bridge and not touching the tone at all on the neck.

This 1992 Tele had been sitting in its case unplayable for a while because of the truss rod had been turned all the way for some time, so I decided to have a little fun and "Frankenstein" it up.

I did not expect to be blown away with it. The 5 position switch means I can get a Humbucker sound, A "quacky" Strat sound (especially in the 2 and 4 positions) and still have the classic Tele bridge sound. Its now an incredibly versatile instrument.

I also have a push/pull in the tone, so I can get the bridge and neck, and all 3 pickups at one, giving 7 positions in total.

I took this guitar into the shop back in Dec of 2019, and it took months for the neck to come in from Fender, and then its was difficult to get the pickups in because of Covid, and the store was closed for 3 months. It took exactly 11 months to get this back from the shop, and I had almost forgotten about it.

Its like Lazarus raised back from the dead

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    preactor likes this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

Looks good, glad you like it.

Mike M likes this.
  17. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth Tele-Meister

Looks good! I have a newer Tele I've been working on. Custom shop pickups in the bridge and neck and an STK-S2 hot stack in the middle. Going to grab a 3 pot control plate so I can simply blend the middle pickup in, Brent Mason style. Just spent a little too much money on a Warmoth roasted maple neck with an Earvana nut. Still waiting on that to come. I was originally going to throw in the SD mini hum in the neck. How do you like it?

Mike M likes this.
  18. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Love the mini Humbucker in the neck, but love even more how it blends with the Strat and Tele pickups. something that's really new to me.

I have always loved the 2 and 4 on my Strat, but didn't realized how great it sounds with a Humbucker as well.

In the 1 position, I can pull the tone control and get just the SD Hum and Tele Bridge. In the 2 position (and I always get the positions backwards) the SD Hum and Strat are great, or can can get all 3 by pulling the tone. The combo on the middle and bridge is incredible as well.

I really did all these mods on a lark, after I bought a new Am Pro Butterscotch this year (so I still have a classic Tele) and was not expecting how great they sound.

preactor and capt pearl like this.
  19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You probably would have liked the old Tele Plus second generation models - while the middle pickup is Strat-sized it has a chromed cover to match the neck pickup. Of course these are Lace Sensors in that era; this version was made from mid-1995 until the "Plus" series was discontinued and replaced with the American Deluxe series in early 1998.

Not mine; found the photo on Reverb:

[​IMG]

Mike M likes this.
  20. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I built a Nashville parts caster with a Moses graphite neck, Duncan Li'l '59, Hot Stack, and Mini Hum.
    With "Brent Mason" wiring, it does everything I need

McGlamRock and Mike M like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.