I must have done something wrong to deserve this

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Dec 28, 2018.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Refrigerator died during the night. One of those smart LG ones that's built to die in 5 years. Fortunately we didn't throw away the old one that is 25 years old and lives in the garage. Moved everything into that one and a big freezer we have, so exept for two bags of out of date crap, got it empty.

No cooling and I suspect it is the blower or compressor. I checked the coils and filters etc, but they get changed and cleaned every 6 months. No little drain underneath to use hot water and a turkey baster like the old ones had. I actually called the LG service center and sent them the audible signals via phone to diagnose the problem. It is called "Smart Diagnostics". It sounds exactly like when you use to connect to the internet with a phone coupler at 300 baud.

Not too smart, I had to turn off wifi for the signals to mean anything to them and put the dogs out because they thought the sound was a squeaky toy and started howling. I'm holding the button on the refrigerator, holding my cell up to the little speaker in the door and shooing the dogs away at the same time.

Didn't know about the little speaker, wonder if there's a jack somewhere? Ice Box Amp?

After all the trouble the assessment was "nothing detected, call a technician". That feature probably added $200 to the original price.

Wife hears I have to call someone and immediately says I have to clean the inside of the refrigerator. Not get the stuff out which I did, but actually make it presentable for the repairman. I groaned loudly, said he would likely not look inside and pleaded but no luck.

I just finished an hour of cleaning whatever dead vegetables turn into from all the cracks and crevices. Looks new just doesn't cool.

Next challenge is getting an authorized repairman to come out and replace the compressor and or blower as it is still under warranty. First I have to see if I can find a cold beer in the garage refrigerator that works. GE BTW.

End of rant.

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Don't think for a minute anything GE is making now holds a candle to what they were making 25 years ago.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

All of our appliances were installed when we built the house, so they're all the same age, so of course, they're all failing at once. I've youtubed instructions on fixing stuff, and have been able to keep a couple of them going, but we're still replacing others. In the market for a dishwasher now.... 3-7 years is the expected life of most appliances, and they each cost around a grand or so to replace. This is not progress.

4. telleutelleme

You are right. True of all of them I think. We got this to have a water and ice dispenser. I have to unstick the ice all the time when switching between cube and crushed. POS. Will see what the labor on this is going to cost.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Good thing it's not a Friday before a holiday weekend. Oh no , wait ....

2blue2, Whatizitman and Shuster like this.
  6. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Same here. New house in 2004. Frig, DW, micro, oven, water heater have all been replaced and the wash machine has been serviced twice. The frig failed two days before Thanksgiving. Good times.

7. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

The end of the world will not be due to atomic war, terrorists, or global warming.

All these appliances and devices controlled by digital technology will band together and go on strike. Humanity will die starving, in dirty clothes, sitting inside an automobile that won't start when you push the button.

Long live Skynet!!!

jackinjax, kLyon and Shuster like this.
  8. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Without getting or sounding or getting accused of being "political" or even stimulating "you're just old and new technology is great in so many ways" responses.....
    Ain't it SOMEHOW a shame that old appliances did what they were supposed to do(for the consumer) and did it for 25 years or way more, and could actually be maintained and literally be made "good as new" with mechanical/electrical parts replacements.... And now that option is simply not available to the consumer?
    Too much New Tech is simply a mechanism to coax or insure sales, and to facilitate packaging, low shipping weight, and cheap, fast production.
    It's kind of like a SS amp that tries to look and sound like an old tube amp.... so many foil thin stainless steel panels, and "retro" styled imitation enamel, appliances.
    (Make Appliances Great Again!)

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I want a T-shirt that says "Make Appliances Great Again" !!!! ....oh, wait......

D_W_PGH, 4pickupguy and telleutelleme like this.
  10. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Our LG went out as well. We did the same thing, moved all the stuff to the garage Kenmore which is still running 25 years later. This time we got a Samsung Fridge, hopefully it will do better.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What would MacGyver do?? And remember,
    "Stressed spell backwards is Desserts" so ya got that goin for ya!
    Just here to help:twisted::)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Whatizitman likes this.
  12. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

My International Harvester beer fridge was made in 1966. That’s the year I was born. Some day it may run out of refrigerant and my stash will be empty and I will have to mourn its loss. Anyone want to take bets on which one of us goes to the giant trash compactor in the sky first?

Sorry about your ordeal TUTME!

13. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

It was our Laundry Washing Machine that crapped out the day after Christmas...about 10 years old.

Whatizitman likes this.
  14. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

When we moved into our rent house, last April, there was no refrigerator. I looked at Lowe's among the marked down ones, and found a good unit that had been returned "because the noise scared my kids" for about $800.

My girlfriend shopped around and bought a top-of-the-line Samsung for $1600. The first one we got never cooled down, and we had to get another. Three weeks with no refrigerator. :rolleyes:

15. telleutelleme

Looks as if most of the authorized repairmen are off until after the 1st. Tells you something about their labor charges.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Too bad yer in TX. One winter decades ago I was living in Idaho. The fridge in the apartment I was in went kaput. We just put everything outside for a few days until the landlord replaced the fridge. It was freezing temps the entire time. There was probably more spoiled food than I remember. But I was like 20 at the time, so I wouldn't have cared either way.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Yesterday when momma told me that the dryer was kaput, I just stopped on the way, bought one, and it will be delivered tomorrow. I know these things hold hands together through the wall sockets, so: I expect something else will get pi$$ed at the attention the dryer is getting and crap out too. It's not YOU, it's THEM! That's just the way it is. I refuse to be intimidated by the likes of them as long as the money holds out. There's always the option of showing up on one of my kids doorstep if I go broke buying stuff I don't actually need. There's always the option of being jailed as a vagrant if I exercise that option too!

18. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

LG and Samsung are the two brands repair techs hate working on. That includes everything they make. Of the two, Samsung is the worse. The parts that fail are nearly impossible to source locally. Have a bandmate who repairs them as a profession. I used to do commercial refrigeration and kitchen equipment. With any luck it's a control board or start relay on the compressor. If it's a compressor, you have an expensive boat anchor. Residential units aren't designed to be replaced, especially with the newer refrigerants. I swear R-134A will leak out of a glass container. Don't know if you've tried yet or not, but unplug it for about 5 minutes and plug it back in, voltage fluctuations drive the boards crazy.

Not a fan of any of the new, "smart" appliances. I don't need a TV or a see through screen in my fridge, I don't need advertisers knowing I spend way too much of my free time watching "The Gilmore Girls" or the manufacturer learning how I like my skivvies washed. Appliances have one job, they're uni-taskers. We're not good at multitasking and thus far, neither are they. I want a simple, mechanical thermostat, no water dispenser, no Sno-Cone to Ice Sculpture setting, no horizontal, water saving, recycled cheap plastic revolving tub attached to a pot metal spider with Yugo shock absorbers. I don't need nor want a LED/LCD temperature display to judge me when I hold the door open for extended periods to decide if I want spicy dill pickles or 3 day old Popeye's. I want a knob, cheap plastic (even a speed knob), numbered from 0 to 6 (11 for the high end model in turquoise), attached to a metal shaft enclosed in a steel box with a capillary tube attached to a coil, with a range of about 12 degrees. I'd pay extra for a 10 degree differential. I don't need my stuff to talk to each other about what I've eaten, what I'm about to eat, what I need to eat, or why my clothes keep getting bigger. My skid marks are nobody's business. The only reason I'm not as large as I could be is because I actually get up and do my own laundry, turn on my own oven, buy my own groceries and paint my own house. Though, my wine chiller is definitely doing it the next go 'round.

There are no user serviceable parts in anything. Anymore. That makes me sad. I've thought ahead, though, and planned my obsolescence for about 40 years from now, so I'll have the last laugh. Also no user serviceable parts.

Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together.

19. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

My fridge started acting up just before Christmas - I had to do an emergency defrost on Christmas eve with the fridge full of Christmas food. Good thing it's winter and cold up here.

To add to this, today my daughter - who is visiting for the holidays and arrived with baskets full of laundry - came up from the basement and asked me if it was normal for clothes to come out the dryer wet after an hour. :(

20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

"Remove & Replace" (ie: throw away) has replaced "Remove & Repair"

Whatizitman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.