I Must Admit, I Enjoy the Bass!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
The chrome is new. Trying to get used to it because it looks cool. I bought it in 84-85(?) and have no idea where it was before that because the seller (sort of a friend) had a problem with needles. He played it for years before me. But it sure looks nice. And the maple neck is really mellow and does the thump thing really well. It’s perfect for old school funk or jazz or western styles. Has no real value except to me as a player instrument but it’s my favorite bass I own.
View attachment 1018457
Woe! I didn’t know they made a fretless jazz bass

Is that factory fretless? Sure looks good

I’ve seen some p-bass’s but don’t recall any jazz’s

Sweet finish!

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Woe! I didn’t know they made a fretless jazz bass

Is that factory fretless? Sure looks good

I’ve seen some p-bass’s but don’t recall any jazz’s

Sweet finish!
The body is 1973 Jazz and the neck is 1973 P, good eye. How it came together I have no idea. Was like that when I got it. My hands fit those P necks so it’s a win. My stock J has a much slimmer neck.

Call Me Al

Tele-Holic
Heck yeah! Bass was one of my first musical loves (picking it up in college as a secondary instrument, as a trumpet major.) It’s probably my “best” instrument, and I sure like laying down a pocket groove! 😎

Pics, just cause:
73B4FAE6-3947-4487-AEDB-4692F8F52B2C.jpeg

07CC7D68-0F72-4C35-A5A6-1B06117B0E72.jpeg
895FEC11-48E9-498C-B101-A41E19CCC20E.jpeg
118FC334-240C-4A66-B79B-A6669CBC84A6.jpeg

Last edited:

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Always good to have a bass mine is a 70's made in Japan columbus jazz bass or should i say it used to be
I stripped the body revealing a light weight mahogany body which was a surprise left it raw
Replaced the control plate with some scrap bakelite
I removed the original neck and made a fretless neck ebony fingerboard with maple veneer fret markers no finish on the neck clear epoxy on the fingerboard plays great but the original pickups are a bit crappy been looking to replace them
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I like playing bass, too. I don't get much opportunity anymore, but I do have a rig--nice little Ibanez GSR200 and a Rumble 100 which does double duty as my guitar amp.

Back in the 1990s I played bass for an all originals band, and it was a great challenge. I do ok as a backup bass player in a pinch. In those days I played my dad's Peavey Foundation, which played and sounded good, but weighed approximately one and a half tons.

I like my Ibby a LOT better:

Screenshot_20220818-195607_Chrome.jpg

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The most mileage. Thousands of gigs on this 87 MusicMan Sabre.
Funny story about this bass, I bought it from Rhythm City in Atlanta and the salesperson was Derek St. Holmes.
This is probably my only bass or guitar that has grown in value compared to inflation.
Looks great and plays great. All original, even the mute foam blocks are original. Only changed the battery and strings.
1660872106684.jpeg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
The white 1999 Squier Affinity P-bass is the one I started on. A $50 pawnshop purchase, it’s proven itself as a stable and consistent no-frills instrument. I like how it sounds and plays with D’Addario chrome flats. It feels like home and I consider it #1.

4DB54736-6955-4E31-8010-E6471B5D51A9.jpeg

A few years back I spotted this Dean Demonator 4 Metalman on Craigslist with a dead active preamp, priced at $60. I couldn’t resist and figured the sight of me (quite non-metal in appearance) playing this thing would provide a lot of self-amusement. Eventually I rewired it with no preamp, just a passive volume and blend for the two humbuckers, and restrung it with D-Addario chrome flats too.

5C0F1ED3-55A2-495D-81BB-3670B739A02C.jpeg

The Dean, which is a lot more comfortable to play than it looks, has moved into band practice duty for now in order to get acquainted with it, and the white P stays at home for home recording projects. But they have enough overlap that one could stand in for the other in either application without too much of an adjustment.

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
I ha
It took me a long time to appreciate bass guitar, but now I love it as much as guitar. For the last decade or so in my project band, I've been the piano/bass/drums guy and tried as much as possible to push guitar duties onto my bandmate. I see the bass as the counter melody, so I'm always trying to find interesting parts that fit well with the vocal melody and chords. My bass playing mantra that I keep repeating to myself is "Sir Paul".

The weird thing is that I have had a few nice basses but the one that really talks to me a piece of crap Epiphone. Once I dialed it in, I just love it. I would love to gig with it one day.

View attachment 1018453
I have learned it’s more ‘the vibe’ than the brand :) nice

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
The white 1999 Squier Affinity P-bass is the one I started on. A $50 pawnshop purchase, it’s proven itself as a stable and consistent no-frills instrument. I like how it sounds and plays with D’Addario chrome flats. It feels like home and I consider it #1.

View attachment 1018558

A few years back I spotted this Dean Demonator 4 Metalman on Craigslist with a dead active preamp, priced at $60. I couldn’t resist and figured the sight of me (quite non-metal in appearance) playing this thing would provide a lot of self-amusement. Eventually I rewired it with no preamp, just a passive volume and blend for the two humbuckers, and restrung it with D-Addario chrome flats too.

View attachment 1018564

The Dean, which is a lot more comfortable to play than it looks, has moved into band practice duty for now in order to get acquainted with it, and the white P stays at home for home recording projects. But they have enough overlap that one could stand in for the other in either application without too much of an adjustment.
Diggin’ em all… Hot Rod looks on that Dean!

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
The most mileage. Thousands of gigs on this 87 MusicMan Sabre.
Funny story about this bass, I bought it from Rhythm City in Atlanta and the salesperson was Derek St. Holmes.
This is probably my only bass or guitar that has grown in value compared to inflation.
Looks great and plays great. All original, even the mute foam blocks are original. Only changed the battery and strings.
View attachment 1018555
I’d have bought from him too, I love a ‘Story Guitar’

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Diggin’ em all… Hot Rod looks on that Dean!

Ha! That model of Dean originally had tiny metal skull-shaped knobs, with little ruby-looking eyes.

I am not making this up: the Craigslist seller told me on the phone he had removed the knobs. He said “I’m selling the bass without the knobs. I am definitely keeping the knobs for a project.”

Ruby-eyed skull knobs was several steps farther into metal ridiculosity than I was willing to go. I said “That’s fine with me; I’m still interested.”

The red sawblade inlays are already pretty over the top. I wish it had abalone block inlays. But I got the anodized red barrel knobs idea and was happy that after installing them it changed to vibe to something more like the early Batmobile and less like a skull torturer.

If I’m lyin’ I’m dyin’: before deciding on the “batmobile colorway” I looked around a little bit for some white pickups in that shape. I thought maybe red knobs and inlays, the white pickups and a set of blue coated strings, or maybe blue tape wounds if there was such a thing, might give it this vibe:

36056584-3897-470B-9699-3309BB9D4AA9.jpeg

But ended up deciding to low-buck it; committing to the red white and blue idea seemed fussier about appearance than I usually am. I was already doubling the investment with the knobs and my choice of strings as it was.

Last edited:

3rdworlder

Tele-Meister
I was or used to be mainly a bass player. Loved the acoustic guitar and at first electric guitars were hard to understand for me. Bass was so exciting because you could play virtually anything with it. The acoustic guitar were mostly used for ballads, and tearjerkers the hardcore country way. I developed interest in electric guitar much later. Anyway, I have two bass guitars, Gene Simmons's Cort Axe II and this old beast, a Japanese Ibanez from 1979. Weights a ton, but I just love the maple neck.

RQWfAtt.jpg

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Ha! That model of Dean originally had tiny metal skull-shaped knobs, with little ruby-looking eyes.

I am not making this up: the Craigslist seller told me on the phone he had removed the knobs. He said “I’m selling the bass without the knobs. I am definitely keeping the knobs for a project.”

Ruby-eyed skull knobs was several steps farther into metal ridiculosity than I was willing to go. I said “That’s fine with me; I’m still interested.”

The red sawblade inlays are already pretty over the top. I wish it had abalone block inlays. But I got the anodized red barrel knobs idea and was happy that after installing them it changed to vibe to something more like the early Batmobile and less like a skull torturer.

If I’m lyin’ I’m dyin’: before deciding on the “batmobile colorway” I looked around a little bit for some white pickups in that shape. I thought maybe red knobs and inlays, the white pickups and a set of blue coated strings, or maybe blue tape wounds if there was such a thing, might give it this vibe:

View attachment 1018598

But ended up deciding to low-buck it; committing to the red white and blue idea seemed fussier about appearance than I usually am. I was already doubling the investment with the knobs and my choice of strings as it was.
Ya’ landed in a good place with it :)