I modded my first pedal today!

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Powertrip240, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 TDPRI Member

I had some errands to run today, which put me in the neighborhood of the local Guitar Center. So, needing some strings anyway, I stopped in to the GC. I did my obligatory walk-around, looking at and fondling guitars, then made my way over the the pedal section. They had a used Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal for $20. I have a brand new DS-1 at home, but after finding out it's a newer style with all surface mounted components, and being a noob at modding, I decided not to make my first attempt on surface mounted pedals. So after seeing this used pedal at GC today, I asked the assistant to open the case so I could check it out. I could see that it was an older style, with through hole components,, so I figured WTH, I'll take it. I got my strings, the pedal, and headed home. After dfoing dome more research on the interweb, I found a very simple mod for the DS1. I think he called it the "diode mod". It simply involves removing the D4 and D5 diodes. Per the Youtube video, those diodes are what give the pedal it's "Character gain and saturation and gnarly gross distortion sounds that we all know and love."

I'm not going to go into depths with this mod, because I'm sure it's probably old news to you guys who have a lot more experience than me. I am just happy as hell that I was able to take a pedal that to me, was pretty much useless, and turn it into a pedal that now has a place back on my pedalboard. I did the Pepsi Challenge with the stock pedal and the modded pedal, and wow, what a huge difference!

So if there's anybody who is new modding pedals like me, I'd be happy to answer any questions about this one. It was pretty damn easy!

ds1.jpg ds2.jpg ds3.jpg ds4.jpg ds5.jpg ds6.jpg

2. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 TDPRI Member

I just did a second mod to the same pedal. I saw a YT video about a Fuzz mod, so I decided to try it out. I added a toggle switch that I had in my toolbox, so I can disable the fuzz when I want. It works good.

ds7.jpg

MrHamburger and jddub440 like this.
  3. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

I did something along the same lines with my DS-1. You remove both the clipping diodes and replace them with MOSFETs with the drain and gate (I think) soldered together. Its really nice. It gives you a more amp like distortion. So easy to do and well worth it. There are so many easy to do mods on this pedal its not even funny. You can buy all manner of kits and instructions to turn the DS-1 into whatever distortion you like.

4. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

zippofan likes this.
  5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

The older DS-1 is a great place to start modding pedals - because the components are big enough to handle, and because there is so much information out there on how to mod them.

One of the less irritating uses for the internet - not just there for staged over-reactions to everyday situations, or Kardashians.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.