I mixed different brands of lacquer (yep...I did it) - need advice

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by telewhacked, Nov 22, 2021.

1. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

No, they were 3 light misted passes per coat of the Watco. I definitely didn't spray it too heavy. Temp and humidity according to the hygrometer in my paint booth were around 68 degrees and 48-52% humidity give or take. Pretty ideal conditions.

I will NEVER mix any brands of clear ever again. This really sucks.

I know the correct answer is likely "just sit and wait", but i just don't want to do that, dang it.

I'm considering a very carefully applied mist coat of blush eraser to see if it helps. Its been basically 3 days and its just as tacky today as it was when I noticed it. If I had stuck with the Minwax, I'd be wet sanding and aging the finish right now. Lesson learned.

Funny thing about lessons learned in guitar finishing...they often feel not unlike being kicked square in the balls.

Mouth likes this.
  2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

What's under the clear? If there's any serious work involved, I'd try the blush eraser, since the only other sure options are to wait indefinitely or strip it. A little at first, more if you need it, but be careful. It can have a delayed effect.

I'll go out on a limb here and actively recommend the Mohawk product I hinted at earlier, Tone Finish Clear Gloss. I would bet the lottery that a single coat just wet enough to self-level would be fully dry within 2-36 hours -- a broad range, but realistic. I've used it on everything, and it has yet to let me down. I know that's advocating more brand-mixing and sounds like a bad idea, but it seems to speed the drying of anything it goes on top of, including Montana Gold colors, which is saying a lot.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  3. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

Thanks Sea Devil. I may give that a shot. I appreciate everyone who has commented

4. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

When I finished the walnut tele in my avatar, I used up all my odds and ends partial cans of Watco and Deft one coat after another, gloss and satin. Once the coats were built up I sprayed the last couple coats with Mohawk UltraFlo. No problems at all.

My suggestion would be to just wait it out and hope it dries.

5. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

There's a point about ten to fourteen days in where I'd give up on the current coat ever working properly. In my experience, it never really dries on its own if it hasn't by then. I'd be tempted to take the finish off and start over, but first I'd try adding something to what's already there; that would indeed be blush remover first, followed by a known fast-drying, high-solvent product like the Mohawk Tone Finish Clear I mentioned above.

Another member had a similar problem with a Les Paul last year; a coat of the Mohawk solved the problem instantly. (I visited him in person and shot just a little on the headstock as a test; it was dry in a few minutes.)

Anyway, it's a question of how long you want to wait before you decide it's just not working. Sure, I'd give it time, but not forever.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    telewhacked likes this.
  6. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Waiting it out for weeks or months is not an option. I'd actually prefer to just strip and refinish if that turns out to be the case.

I'm gonna give it through this Thanksgiving weekend and into next week. If I see no progress by then, I'm gonna try some very lightly and carefully dusted blush remover.

I also just ordered a couple cans of Mohawk Tone Finish Clear Gloss and Ultra Flow Clear Gloss from Klingspor based on your suggestions.

Whether it works or ends in disaster, I'll report back and let you know.

7. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Am I the only one that waits a minimum of 30 days before even touching a guitar I sprayed? I personally don't sand it until it passes the fingernail test.
    I sanded once after 21 days (watco from the can) and it was fine, btw. It was to remove a hair that didn't belong there, of course. Re-shot a couple coats and waited a week, I think. Seemed to be ready quicker after the sanding 'opened it up'.

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

@BFcaster I don't know about rattle can jobs, but I generally buff after a week or so when I spray. I don't usually need to wet sand though unless something lands on the finished coat and I do a local sand to remove. I've done this on bare wood necks and bodies that I've sprayed (the necks I just use clear or tinted clear nitro on). Never had issues with sinking or other problems afterwards; they still look great now.

I buffed this body one week after the clear coats were sprayed, no wet sanding at all on this one:
    Assembled body (6).png

howardlo and telewhacked like this.
  9. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Nice!
    Yeah, using a gun is much better than rattle cans. The orange peel I used to get required wet sanding. A gun straight to a buffer is really the way to go. I've heard of (and tried the last time I did one) of spraying the coats, a light fine wet-sanding, then a final 'wet' coat that levels things out from the sanding. Then basically buff and polish. Worked great.
    Sorry for the slight hijack.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

I generally wet sand as little as only a few days after finishing the final clear coats and have never really had any issues with it.

I relic most of the stuff I do and I've found the longer you wait to do the aging, the more difficult it becomes to remove the paint in the areas you are relicing.

I usually do half of the final wet sanding, then relic, then finish the last half of the wet sanding and polishing to remove any marks I may not want left behind from the relicing. It smooths all the edges of any wear areas and makes the aging look realistic instead of forced.

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I used to wait four weeks but now I buff after about two. In the early days I would shoot as many as 20 or more coats, now I'm about half that. I also shoot one final flow coat highly reduced, if I get that right there is very little wet sanding before hitting the buffer.

I build mostly acoustics, used Behlens for years but have switched to Cardinal for the last couple of instruments. I do try to use the manufacturer's reducer for thinning the lacquer, generic is fine for clean up.

12. boxocrap

boxocrap Tele-Meister

I will NEVER mix brands of liquor ever again

telewhacked likes this.
  13. telewhacked

telewhacked TDPRI Member

boxocrap...never say never.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.