I miss beer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by spurgie79, Jun 26, 2014.

1. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

I used to be a whiskey drinker till about 5 years ago. I should own half of Jameson's distillery! Did a lot of stupid stuff while drunk.

Now it's light beer. Carlton Mid-Strength, 3.5% alcohol, nice malty taste, 2-4 between sunset and supper. I don't get drunk anymore.

A close friend quit drinking beer a few months back, wanted to lose weight. He's started drinking white wine instead, and gets fully drunk and has been getting into some troubling situations as a result. Hasn't lost any weight.

[content removed]

As a wise man once said, beer is proof that God loves us.

2. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

Hell, what's stopping you? You under 21?

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had 36 ounces of Yuengling, from the bottle into a cool glass, the other night and enjoyed every drop.

Just in the right frame of mind; pleasant views from the porch until it was too dark to see anything at all; then inside to play with the Esquire and the Peavey Classic 50 for a hour. "The guy who can play" showed up and when I'm him, that's a good time. :D

4. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

It is funny how "The guy who can play" shows up right around the 36th ounce.... but then immediately leaves after the 60th ounce!

~syf

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Maybe I should clarify: I think the guy showed up at about ounce 20 and stayed with the program well through ounce 36.

I can feel him walk in the room sometimes, and sometimes no alcohol in sight. I don't understand it but when I think he's showed up, he gets to play if at all possible! :D

6. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That guy shows up sometimes when I play pool or snooker.

Comes in after about the 3rd beer and leaves promptly after the 7th. Before he leaves he's a shark on the table.

I fear his name is "relax" and let it flow.

7. jbdrumbo

jbdrumbo Tele-Holic

OK, I get it - I read some of your further posts. It's your life, so do what you feel is best.

Usually, the beer-only people I know are pretty mellow; it's the people who overdo the firewater that can get kinda crazy, sometimes kinda real crazy (i.e., violent), and then bad ***** starts happening.

But again, if you feel like you have a drinking problem, even with just beer, then good for you for trying to change.

8. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a happy drunk when I get that far. I'm in an area that is a "dry county" surrounded by a "dry country". Not a biggie. I haven't been without alcohol for this long since the last time I was here. I figure that I might as well embrace the situation and who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of not drinking for several months.:D

9. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

Ahh yes once again another thread about the creature...I drink beer..and a little whiskey..do I need it nope..gone without it for long periods of time..I like to have em at the beach..end of a work week..yummy yummy..Oh I will add this..I never drink while gigging..never..when I was in my early 20s saw a video of me playing loaded.....that was the end of that..

10. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

That's how it works at gigs, but on the golf course half a beer and I can't hit a thing...well, I can hit it, just not where I'm aiming. 'Swing-oil' it is not, but 'string-lube', sure!

11. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I had some NA beer from Germany and it was kinda "blah". Hopefully I'll be home in a couple of months. Guiness sure sounds good. :D

12. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I've been 5 weeks without beer (or any alcohol).

Well, I did lapse one night at the end of week 4.

Made me realise just how crap it makes you feel the next morning.

Not missing it at all.

Only thing is, I thought you were supposed to magically lose tons of weight when you quit beer ?

I'm lucky if I've lost about 1 kilo in 5 weeks???

13. Tele Convert

Tele Convert Tele-Holic

I weighed a lot less when I used to drink. Almost 5 years sober and I've probably put on 30 pounds.
    Let's just say I enjoy food more today than I used to. :lol:

14. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

That happened to me when I quit smoking. I was 120lb scrawny dude when I smoked. Put on an extra 40lbs in no time after I quit. Food tastes so much better when you don't smoke.

I drank more than my share in high school and college. These days I might have 2 or 3 drinks in the course of a week. Except on my annual fishing trip with the boys. I drink, smoke and eat way too much for one week a year. Then detox on the drive home.:lol:

15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol: Me too!

16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I'm one of those guys who has learned my lesson about drinking at all--much less while playing. I was beginning to acquire that "he's a pretty good player... when he's sober" reputation about eight or ten years ago,
    so first I cut way back, quit showing up "primed" and then having a beer or drink between sets.

I also starting showing symptoms of gout about two years ago, beer/alcohol being among the prime triggers. To each his/her own, but after a while it was hard for me to ignore the obvious hints that maybe I should put it aside.

I started enjoying myself, my band friends (most of whom drink rarely if at all), and the music so much more that now every time I start to have one, I just think,"Why?"

The idea of one leading to "one too many", plus p***ing away so much of my money, now easily stops me. Thanks to my Great Manager, by the way, for His help.

17. Jebrone Lames

Jebrone Lames Banned

I didn't drink much when I was young, but now that my kids are in college I look forward to having drinks with my friends. With all the craft beer available it's much more enticing than the typical piss-water that were the only types available years ago. I do find if I drink too much my beer confidence leads me to do things I wouldn't normally do sober. My hard liquor of choice is Vodka mixed with grapefruit (greyhound), maybe a splash of cranberry added in (seabreeze) .. Absolute being the minimum quality to avoid headaches and hangovers.

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I havent had a beer in 3 or 4 years. I was diagnosed as a Diabetic , and its not really on the list of ok things
    I drink a bit of red wine during the weekend , kind of a new hobby:lol:

19. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I hear you. Nearly seven months sober for me now. Initially I lost weight due to not drinking about 4000 calories a day. Then I rediscovered eating, particularly ice cream cones. Sometimes I miss beer, but I don't miss the consequences.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I would definitely say beer has a positive net effect on my weight :mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.