I met Redd!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Royal Tele, May 8, 2017.

1. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Ok, I know I'm not the first... But I finally had the pleasure of meeting Redd Volkaert on Saturday at the 40th Annual Dallas International Guitar Festival. Heck of a guy, and a hell of a player, as everyone here already knows. Unfortunately, I found out too late that the Saturday performance schedule got changed and Redd's time got bumped up about an hour. So when I showed up in time to hear him begin, it was actually just finished. But thankfully I got to say hello and get a picture.

I did, however, get to hear him play the previous night during the Friday night all-star jam. I'd heard Redd on YouTube videos before, etc. But hearing him play at a live venue is a whole different experience. I only wish some of the other "big names" on the stage that night would have quit wanking off long enough to give Redd a longer solo break. Needless to say, almost everyone's jaw hit the floor when Redd played. Some of the most incredible playing I've ever heard. So unique, so pure, and absolutely phenomenal.

Great memories!

IMG_1146.JPG

2. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got to see him a couple of years ago and was blown away. I was supposed to see him last year at The Continental Club. There was some sort of mix up and no one had told Redd he was booked, even the thought the club advertised he would be there.

When I saw him he started to play and I thought: well this guy is good - much better than me - but I don't see what the fuss is about. Boy was I wrong. With each song he just got more and more amazing. By the end I wanted to bow down and say "We are not worthy!".

52Relic, Redd Volkaert and Royal Tele like this.
  3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's a treat for sure.

Royal Tele likes this.
  4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Hey man! I recognize you! :D

Royal Tele likes this.
  5. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Yes! I bought a guitar strap from you! Loving that thing! Great strap! Everyone check out "Dog Tired" guitar straps online! Great product--very comfortable, not too slippery on the shoulder, and not too resistant either. (It moves JUST right.)

RogerC likes this.
  6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

but does it bumch your shrit?

rogb and RogerC like this.
  7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Not even a little :lol:

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    24 track and wayloncash like this.
  8. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Nope, it doesn't. It's a great quality strap. I'm not affiliated with the Dog Tired strap company at all. I just tried one this past weekend at the Dallas Guitar Show and ended up buying one. You won't regret it.

24 track and RogerC like this.
  9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Very cool!

10. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

In all my years and all the shows I have seen, Redd's playing gave me the most uncanny feeling.

It was during one particular song I loved, Cindy Cashdollar was playing with him. To my great surprise, tears actually welled up in my eyes.

It was a surreal moment and I cannot explain it, but somehow, during that moment, the music seemed to validate everything I had struggled for and everything I had sacrificed, every thing I had lost was vindicated.

The sound was so beautiful and perfect that I think I experienced an epiphany and I believe it was a bookend on a chapter of my life, for shortly thereafter, what was the most trying time of my life slowly began to be the happiest times of my life.

Even when I think back on that moment, it gives me chills.

Redd is a great guitar player of course, I have seen many great guitar players, but this little moment ended up being pivotal for some reason.

At the time I was struggling so hard to pay bills and I was even delivering pizzas to projects. My hands were so cracked from the wind and constant hand sanitizer and dish soap that I was squeezing tube after tube of super glue on them.

I can't even go into the other things I was having to deal with, but it was a nightmare. Gig after gig, grabbing for pennies under the car seat.

I made a point of seeing him play even though it was very tough considering my schedule.

I remember standing there, by myself, removed from the crowd, feeling the breeze blowing across the blurry grass and thoughts, and the sounds I heard in that moment really did change my life.

I can't explain it, it was just something very awesome to me personally.

O'Malley, cdwillis, 52Relic and 4 others like this.
  11. Snowbird

Snowbird Tele-Meister

Awesome experience 1955! Thank you for sharing.

I've thought many times that I need to write some of my favorite artists and thank them for what their music has meant to me. That isn't to imply that you need to do that, but it just underscores how music can have such a powerful effect on us at times

cdwillis and 1955 like this.
  12. Redd Volkaert

Redd Volkaert Tele-Holic

Snowbird, I think 1955 just did!
    Thank you for that.
    Though I never think that what I'm playing will ever affect anyone other than a few dancers, maybe
    It's really nice to know that someone listens intently enough to feel something good or bad from music
    That is what it really is all about playing live . . .

I've thought many times that I need to write some of my favorite artists and thank them for what their music has meant to me. That isn't to imply that you need to do that, but it just underscores how music can have such a powerful effect on us at times[/QUOTE]

And Royal Tele, I'm sorry you missed my little set,
    but it was a pleasure to meet such a genuinely eager young guitar lover!

Redd

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.