I may have to destroy a working piano

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Nahtabot, May 7, 2021.

1. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's a Hamilton. Has cosmetic wear on the cabinet.

No thrift stores want it and no one on Fakebook Marketplace wants it.

Demolition is set for tomorrow. I would rather pay 25 dollars to someone who would take it from the end of my driveway!

telestratosonic and nojazzhere like this.
  2. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Does it have wheels?

3. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Used pianos, unless a Steinway or other such, have zero or less value in my area. No one will even haul one away...

4. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm feeling ya - when we moved my parents out of their home of 40+ years the new owner did NOT want to have the pool table in basement.
    All moving options (windows, doors) were explored & failed.
    We finally figured they delivered through a window system that was changed some years later.
    And my sister eventually texted me the bad news - the pool table mover she hired had to saw the dang thing into pieces!!!:eek::eek:

plusorminuszero and Nahtabot like this.
  5. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

what is ur geographical location?

is it spinet or is it shoulder-high? photo: a "shoulder-high" Hamilton
    This one is or was listed at Mercati for $500
    [​IMG]
    Hamilton is to Baldwin as Squier is to Fender.

I made up the term "shoulder-high" coz folks tend to informally say their spinet is an upright.

old-school piano doubling the bass player's line - priceless. or octave higher or octave lower than bass-player's line, or in 10ths harmony. priceless-er!

at least part out the dimensionally stable and beautiful flat wood panels for a woodworker. and the piano hinge.

I need 65 strings for a weird old zither, iirc the lowest ones it needs are wound and are thicker than the thickest electric bass string on my 5-string bass [that I only use for left-hand finger strengthening exercise]

Have you called a school or church or music teacher?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    scook likes this.
  6. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Any local music charities?
    Round here, recent bugs permitting, there are charities that'll take on stuff for "re-location".

radiocaster and Nahtabot like this.
  7. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Damn, I've been looking for a piano for a long time and here in my town you cannot find one for less than 800 bucks. I would love to take that thing away from you ;(

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I'm in the midst of a major renovation at home. I had what was worth saving moved into a POD parked in the driveway. I had stuff my wife and I no longer wanted carried to the curb for "special pickup". That's a department of sanitation pickup for junk too bulky for the twice a week garbage pickup. Pickup is free but you always risk a fine if you put out your junk pile too long before your scheduled pickup. My wife and I were shocked at how the pile kept getting smaller and smaller in the week from when we put it out until it was picked up. A dresser with broken drawers. Gone. Two heavy relic book cases. Those were gone too. Bed frame parts. Also MIA. The funniest thing was that someone leaned a rusted bicycle against the pile. Put your trash out in front of your own house, neighbor. But it was gone the next day. A piano would be gone overnight where I live. And what gets me is that this is a pretty solid middle class neighborhood full of new SUV's and German lux cars. Who takes this stuff under the cover of darkness?

RLee77, bcorig and Nahtabot like this.
  9. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The piano fling on Northern Exposure would be a good end to one.

With that being said, if folks knew roughly where you were at you might find a taker.

cyclopean, SRHmusic, Theorage and 3 others like this.
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yeah! i have no room in my house for a piano, but i could set it on my front porch.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought this was going to be destruction by Nancarrow piano roll.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It is quite a sad thing to destroy any working or repairable musical instrument. I'm very serious about this...it bothers me.

Several months ago a neighbor asked me if I knew any way to donate an upright piano. There is nobody in the area that will take them.

I did scavenge the ebony from the keyboard (the white keys were plastic-coated maple), and a gal around the corner makes jewelry from my old guitar strings, so I called her and she was delighted to spend 30 minutes snipping out the strings with diagonal cutters. And then we had a little ceremony and hauled it to the local recycle.

13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Local piano teacher might know kids/families looking

old soul, SRHmusic, kafka and 3 others like this.
  14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

There was a time that everyone wanted a piano because they were fun and in every movie from stylish dance numbers to cowboy western saloons.
    Then they became too hard to learn to play.
    And kids stopped learning to play them, even hated lessons, because very little music used them.
    Now they get smashed and sent to the landfill.

About the same pattern that Guitars are caught in (though a glimmer of reprieve during the pandemic).

Oldsmobum likes this.
  15. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For years we had an old organ I got out of the trash. Worked perfectly.

billy logan likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You could make an Art of Noise video.

61fury and AAT65 like this.
  17. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Holic

SE Wisconsin. Must be spinet! I think most schools have digital Yamahas.

scook likes this.
  18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Might try an at-risk middle school in your area. The music departments are sadly under funded.

Don't call Laurel and Hardy

Zepfan, SRHmusic and Nahtabot like this.
  19. billy logan

billy logan Tele-Meister

piano's not hard to learn - just do I vi ii V [in key of C> ... C Aminor Dminor G ...] l.h.>pinkie-middlefinger-thumb in a claw-convoy [pinkie on the named notes] .....................^---^........^......^

r.h. any darn thing. stay on the white keys. - u are now doo-wop master. And just a few black keys away from playing standards.

radical statement> piano sounds good - fyi. You tone hounds, you. You gonna whip up a big thread about upgrade speakers for student-level electric keyboards??? dreariness

Weather forecast for Beloit, Wisconsin (only town I could think of in SE WI*) v. low chance of precipitation. Low overnite temp. - just above freezing. The piano is at the end of your driveway right now with a big "FREE" sign on it?

edit *sry, Milwaukee, u slipped my mind hahahaha

20. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The wife's parents got a piano back in the 70s, actually went to town to buy a TV but came back with a piano. My wife took lessons as a kid and can navigate a keyboard but nobody really played it and it ended up out of tune with dodgy keys etc.. So they decided to get rid and asked me to sell it. I checked classifieds and there were a dozen pianos in better condition for free. I thought the timber could be salvaged at least but I came back from work one day to see the FIL going at the piano with a sledgehammer. It all got burned in the end.
    Pity, but what can you do? Nobody wants a piano when you get a digital keyboard for a few hundred quid.

Mindthebull likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.