I may have found my Martin

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by rebelwoclue, Jan 16, 2015.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a D15 Classic (Custom) with the Sitka top. Of course, the seller says it's a cannon.
    I've been on the watch for a Martin that I don't have to take out a mortgage on and this may be the one!
    Wish me luck!

2. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

Good luck! Everyone needs a good Martin. And most of them are very good.

Hope it works out for you. Here is the one I bought last year. CS 21-11. It was a distressed sale or I could have never afforded it. I pays to keep your eyes open I guess.

[​IMG]

3. rebelwoclue

What a beauty! Yep, it pays to wait and watch for an opportunity and that one is definitely not your everyday acoustic. Nice!

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I found mine a few years ago, but just couldn't justify the cost. Fantastic guitar. Good luck!

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I assume you are talking about the mahogany body version.

While not everybody needs a Martin (although my first guitar was a freebie Martin archtop I have managed to get by the next 50+ years without one) these are nice no frills guitars and very affordable. The sounds like a cannon thing as always is a hoot. The new "it plays like buttah" cliché.

6. rebelwoclue

I've managed quite well too but I picked it up last night. :)
    Yeah, this is the D15 Custom though- not the D15M. It has mahogany sides and back but the top is Sitka spruce instead of mahogany and has a tortoise shell top binding. The mahogany neck is surprisingly thin- almost like a strat. No shiny lacquer- plain top. It sounds like a Martin - good tone and it is loud. It just needs new strings as the set that are on it are rusty. It hasn't been played for a long time.:D
    I'll post a pic soon.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  7. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

Hhmmmm..... Martin. Not got one - yet!

I worked in a music shop for a short while in the '90s and the shops stocked a small range of Martins. I must admit that none of them did anything for me back then (I am a Lowden guy) bar s/h D28HV we took on a trade.

A couple of years back I decided to go hunt for one. I was in a shop with a pro guitarist I know and we were talking about Martins and how I was maybe in teh market for one. I tried a few but nothing really jumped out at me bar a D45 which was out of my price bracket. Then I spotted an immaculate Guild D55 and this thing spoke to me in a big way. Flogged a 335 I hadn't bonded with and within a few days I walked out with the Guild.

I'd still love a Martin one day. Good luck with yours, mate.

8. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

Took me 40 years to get a Martin. Played this one, tried that one. Price, of course, was an issue, along with my own fussiness. Then I happened upon this one. The laser burned wood plate inside simply says "Custom" but was sold as an "MMV" -- i.e., "2005" - the year it was introduced.

The MMV is not found in any normal Martin catalog but was, from what I have read, especially made for a couple of major retailers such as MF.

Back when mine was made the specs were: Solid spruce top, solid east indian rosewood sides and back, mahogany neck with an ebony board, D1 A-Frame bracing and a mortise/tenon neck joint. (The later is the one aspect that is a turn off to some Martin freaks.)

Sound-wise many find it equal to a D-28. Indeed, some buyers have chosen a particular MMV simply as their favorite sounding guitar while trying a bunch in a shop irrespective of price. I'm personally not expert enough with acoustics to make such a claim for mine, but I love it and (as important to me) could afford it with just a bit of a stretch.

I understand MF still sells a similar model but without the ever more pricey ebony (They use their synthetic board material instead -- quite good from what I understand) but now with the more classic Martin construction of a dove tail neck joint.

Anyhow I rejoice to hear that another Tele aficionado has found the Martin of the dreams. Enjoy! Enjoy! :)

[​IMG]

-don

9. rockabilly96

rockabilly96 Tele-Meister

As a budding acoustic aficionado, I must say that those Martin MMV acoustics play like a dream for their price range! I played one in GC not too long ago, and it was comparable to my buddy's HD28. The action was smooth, and the tone was rich and warm. In some ways, I kinda wish I would've gone with the MMV instead of my J45. The J45 is a whole other world of greatness though

10. TeleKineses

TeleKineses Tele-Meister

I know how that goes. I found my Martin from a co-worker who agreed to sell me a like new Eric Clapton model for $1500.

11. duceditor

duceditor Tele-Meister

That sounds like the deal of all deals! Congrats!!!

-don

12. rebelwoclue

Not one of the high-ends, but she sounds like one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Congrats on your Martin !

I have a 2003 D-18 but have played many of the D-15 customs and MMV's and they are great guitars !!!

14. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Don't have a pic, but I recently picked up a 1962 D-28 that had been under a bed for over 40 years. It had a crack near the pickguard and needed a neck reset. I just got it back from the luthier who did the repairs. It's amazing!

It wasn't cheap, but I wound up paying about half of what these go for on ebay (i.e. about $2000), even with the repairs.

Thanks to my wonderful wife for agreeing that I should get it!

15. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

Congrats on the Martin. Mine is a 00028EC, it's a sweet thing.

16. rebelwoclue

Hi Don,
    They look like sisters!
    In fact all mine says inside is "Custom" as well. It's a 2005 and the original owner tells me its a D-15 Custom.
    Randy

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on the new guitar. When Martin gets it right, it's as good as it gets.

18. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Well done on the Martin. You're bound to enjoy it.

I got my 1989 000-28 in 1990 when I changed jobs after 22 years and had some decent severance pay. Half went to the usual domestic priorities and half to me.

I have never regretted buying that guitar and 25 years later I swear it sounds better now.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congratulations. Hard to believe that my own D-15 is 19 years old.

Great guitars. Have fun growing older together.

20. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Martins are nice guitars for sure. I have three, all different body sizes: HD16R-LSH, 000-15M, and 0000-28H. All great sounding, and all sound different from each other. Those, combined with all of my electrics, take up all of my playing time - otherwise I'd have even more acoustics! There are so many nice ones to be had. It's a disease, but I think I'm in remission for the moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.