1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I may be losing out on a trade, but its a unicorn, I'm anxious and excited at the same time???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dreamingtele, Mar 4, 2020.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

So,

I've been hunting a very ellusive unicorn here in my part of the world.. although its not that rare in the US, but the cost of shipping one to Australia is SOOOOO out of this world..

So the trade is my number 2.. all professionally set up, AV64 pickups.. Fende Japan 60's in Daphne Blue.. I've picked this from a bunch of 6 and its the closest, and on-par build quality with my number 1, AVRI 62.. same specs, except the U-neck.. VERY VERY dark rosewood board (this is part of my hesitation.. LOL).. to be fair, all 6 are very consistent (kudos to Fender Japan), I just picked this one as there's something about it when I A&B'ed it with my AVRI 62 in the shop.. plus the dark rosewood board I mentioned, and the unique color...

my luthier did the set up on both specifically to play and feel the same.. and both does, and I wont be able to tell which from which IF they're both the same weight.. The AVRI62 is just lighter than this one, and the Japanese have a slightly thicker U neck...

Frets dead level, crowned and dressed, bone nut cut correctly, Gotoh brass saddles upgrade, its a rocker and screaming telecaster, bad to the bone back up to my AVRi 62

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I offered the seller my Fender Japan tele for this;

Epiphone ES-295 - Korean Made, 2005, good as new.. I've been in love with the 295 since I saw it last year.. but its just soooo damn hard to find.. I cant afford a real Gibson 52, nor the Custom Shop reissues..

[​IMG]

I'm having an anxiety as I love the Japan tele.. and I know I can buy the same model again, as it's fairly recent model from Fender.. (I actually want one in Black to Esquire), but I know, it might be harder to get the same feel even though I know Japanese quality is sooo consistent...

I know these are material things. for some, these are just tools of the trade.. I know I shouldnt put any attachment on material things. but maaaaaan, I dont have the cash, and Im not sure if I have another chance in getting this ES-295 again..

I hear two things in my head, yes and no.. if the seller says yes, I'm like, okay, lets proceed, if no, I'll also be relieved, but sad, but relieved.. damn, I wish Im rich!

Dan R, studio1087 and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. Kitarkus

Kitarkus Tele-Meister

You should give this some time and thought. I can hear in your post that you are hesitant to let your Daphne blue tele go ..... And frankly I don't blame you for that. It is awfully pretty. No one can tell you how much you do or do not want that Korean made guitar only only you could do that. Normally I would tell you my opinion was just to keep the telecaster, but you seem to really want this " unicorn ". Like I said, just give it some thought for a while. Perhaps your trepidation will help the trader on the other end give you an even better deal.

televillian likes this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Unless you have played the other guitar and really love how it plays and sounds I would say no. Sounds like you have a great guitar. Trading something you really like for something you could possibly like is not a good deal. There will be other guitars.

Dan R, P Thought, Asmith and 5 others like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Japan tele's are plentiful, I would play the epi first and if it played well I would trade for it. The tele is probably a nicer finished guitar but again they are plentiful and easy to come by and it seems you really want that ES.

Or you could just save up and take a flight to Japan where they probably have a decent selection of both along with many more to tempt you.

In your search I would be looking on ebay US and messaging sellers if they don't have international shipping listed. Many times sellers agree to get a quote and ship to AU when I have enquired about stuff. A lot of gear doesn't show up on ebay AU and there would be many more of that model epi in the states and Japan than in Australia.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

I am going to say go for it. The ES-295 will give you something new in your arsenal. I have an ES-295 and I love it!

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

A guitar you absolutely love for a guitar you've never seen? Absolutely no.

7. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar Tele-Meister

Trading a guitar you know you love - your MIJ Fender Telecaster for a Guitar you fancy but haven’t actually played is dangerous.

The MIJ Custom Tele will have a much better resale value than the MIK Epiphone. At least in the US they do, perhaps different in Oz?

and I’m sorry - your Daphne Blue Tele is downright gorgeous! I would NOT make that trade (but who am I to speak for you?)

Gaz_, MrCairo46 and televillian like this.
  8. GoldieTop

GoldieTop TDPRI Member

I've traded a guitar that I really loved for a guitar that I'd always wanted but never had the chance to play beforehand....

Didn't work out for me! I regretted selling off my killer guitar, and the one I got in its place was cool, but nowhere near as playable or awesome.

I also wouldn't trade a Daphne Blue Strat with both sides bound for *anything* MIK Epiphone- although that may possibly be one of the coolest MIKs I've seen!

I guess if I were in your shoes, I'd try and figure out how easy/how much $ the Epiphone could clear locally *if* it doesn't end up being "the one". If you could sell it very very quickly and not be out any $ (or even clear a couple) then maybe I'd seriously consider it? Because I know how it goes when you lust after a particular guitar for a long time and then you have the chance to pounce on one.

Either way, good luck! I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

9. dreamingtele

ALL INPUTS NOTED!

thanks guys. Its a bit of a rare bird, ive only seen two in 2 years and it might probably be the same guitar.

however, yes, I do love my MIJ, Although it sounds similar to my AVRI62 (which is why its a back up no.2) its different enough to justify both in my rig, But it just got me wondering to diversify a bit.
    But yeah

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

tough call... it sucks to let something go and regret it afterwards...

good luck with your decision...

11. dreamingtele

Man,

thank you guys for putting sense into my brain.

it just caught me by surprise, i dont have enough, even if I sold some of my pedals, which means i will be needing to be creative for lacking important pedals on my board, and still isnt enough. I was hoping id find one during tax return season which is 2-3 months from now, but yeah.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Korean Sheraton from the same era - the fit and finish were a work of art and it played like a dream, better than my Gibson LP Studio. Had microphonic pickups though. If it'll make you happy you should do it.

13. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

keep what you got

14. dreamingtele

I did ask a few, its over 400 AUD!!! not to mention custom fees!!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

No, not a chance do I trade something I like that much for some unknown. And that you would need to sell more stuff too? No way. YMMV

16. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

Those two teles are absolutely gorgeous. I can understand wanting something different though. I only have three electrics, all pretty different.

dreamingtele likes this.
  17. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

ES-295

dreamingtele likes this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I wouldn’t go anywhere near that trade.

Epi 295s have been made for a long time, never with truly great quality, and there are numerous examples out there...not to mention that they are nowhere near as well-built as Fender Japan reissues...not to mention all the effort you put in to selecting that exact guitar and getting it set up exactly like you want it. You have a better guitar, a rarer guitar (in the long term), and you have hand selected it and set it up to taste. Don’t ever let it go...especially not for a guitar that doesn’t even rate in comparison, on paper...which you have not even played! You’re just in lust. Don’t fall for it. Don’t be a dummy.

A 295 will come along some day. You’ll grab it. You’ll realize it’s not all that it was cracked up to be in your mind. And you’ll thank yourself for listening to good advice like that contained in this post. A well equipped and set up older Japanese Tele is a thing of beauty – about as fine a mass produced Tele as one could hope for at that price point...and you have a cool color, with binding, with a dark board, with outstanding pickups, and a killer setup. 30 years down the road, it’s going to be the more sought after guitar.

I have owned many Japanese Fenders ranging from the ‘80s through the ‘00s, and I have also owned many Epiphones covering roughly the same period (and one 2019 Epi). In terms of sheer craftsmanship, the only Epiphone that has ever come close to any of my MIJ Fenders was [drumroll] a made in Japan Epiphone ‘61 reissue SG with the Gibson open book headstock, made in [another drumroll] the same factory that made many of those excellent MIJ Fenders. This Epi was built better than any Gibson I’ve ever played (and I own some old ones). Nobody could mass produce guitars to that level of craftsmanship like Fuji-Gen could. They skimped on electronics quality, but put everything they had into raw craftsmanship.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    bender66, Slip Kid and dreamingtele like this.
  19. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

Life is chances and choices.

If you love ES 295s as much as I do then that is the one to get. Other people just don't get them or there would be more ES 295s, right?

A useful question - that you have already answered - is, "when did I last see another?"

On paper, both are modern Oriental remakes of '50s classics. Additionally, any part you don't like can be upgraded or vintage-fied. And while daphne blue is nice so is GOLD!!!

What do you think they'd advise over on an Epiphone board, or a Scotty Moore board, or a jazz-guitar board?

20. dreamingtele

Hi Sir,

Yes, I'm listening to advices! I know all of us here, more or less, have experienced the same thing.. its funny, we as guitarists want more gear, and like more and more.. especially guitars that arent common..

from a musician/gigging standpoint, I dont want to let it go, its a number 2, but it doesnt mean it sucks and lesser than the number 1.. its a back up AND a beast of its own at the same time..

Ive always been a sucker for 60s teles.. bindings, rosewood board.. early 60's vintage spec teles float my boat.. thats why I have both 62s.. and I'll never be without one, in fact thats all I want to buy.. and I want a black to Esquire it..

however, your analysis makes sense that maybe someday I'll get an ES-295 and I'll just add it to the collection and not pay attention to it unless I need that "tone".. which, in my genre, doesnt come up often, but its cool to use something different from the records sometimes..

I wont be a dummy!! thank you sir!

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.