I love the sound.....

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Kicking a field goal or a point after and the ball hits the upright, I love that sound , though it's sad for the kicker when it hits makes that sound and does not go in.
However it's like a comic aside fx sounds that are used in cartoons when something goes wrong but it's funny when the coyote runs into the painted tunnel wall.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I wonder if kickers consult with pro bowlers to discuss the Big Ball Concept. If you're unfamiliar with it, it addresses the idea that in order to knock down a single pin, you do not have to place the ball within a window of 8.5" wide, which is the diameter of the ball.

The target window is actually just a smidge under 21.75" wide (8.5 + 4.75 + 8.5; a pin is 4.75" diameter at its widest) to create enough energy in a pin to knock it over.

With the dimensions of the pin setup of them being 36" center to center for the three corner pins, that gives 40.75" distance to the outside of each corner pin.

So the target window is roughly just a bit over half the distance of the width of the pin setup.

Big-Ball-Concept.jpg

How do I still manage to miss that one single pin to make a spare? o_O

How do those kickers manage to even hit an upright? Further study is needed, so time to apply for that $250,000 Gubmint Research Grant and find out. Beer will definitely be necessary.

Brad Pittiful

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I wonder if kickers consult with pro bowlers to discuss the Big Ball Concept. If you're unfamiliar with it, it addresses the idea that in order to knock down a single pin, you do not have to place the ball within a window of 8.5" wide, which is the diameter of the ball.

The target window is actually just a smidge under 21.75" wide (8.5 + 4.75 + 8.5; a pin is 4.75" diameter at its widest) to create enough energy in a pin to knock it over.

With the dimensions of the pin setup of them being 36" center to center for the three corner pins, that gives 40.75" distance to the outside of each corner pin.

So the target window is roughly just a bit over half the distance of the width of the pin setup.

Big-Ball-Concept.jpg

How do I still manage to miss that one single pin to make a spare? o_O

How do those kickers manage to even hit an upright? Further study is needed, so time to apply for that $250,000 Gubmint Research Grant and find out. Beer will definitely be necessary.

this info changed my game in the late 90s...to me it made the target bigger in my mind...i turned into a pretty good spare shooter after i realized this

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I love the sound of jet engines. I grew up near the end of the runway at Mitchell AFB on Long Island and was mesmerized by the planes. I could tell a B-26 from a C-119 by their sound on takeoff. The only jets based there were T-33’s. I could tell instantly from the sound on takeoff if there was an ANG squadron with F-84’s visiting and I immediately ran outside to see one fly over. I knew the sound of the F-105 built at Republic and the Greyhounds and Hawkeyes built at Grumman. But it was the jets. I know folks living near JFK hate the noise but I have takeoffs and landings passing overhead and to this day find the jet noise soothing.

elihu

Poster Extraordinaire
I grew up listening to B-52’s do touch-and-go’s at Ellsworth AFB. I can’t say that I liked it but I sure got used to it. I suppose the people living next to Niagara Falls get used to that too.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I love the sound of jet engines. I grew up near the end of the runway at Mitchell AFB on Long Island and was mesmerized by the planes. I could tell a B-26 from a C-119 by their sound on takeoff. The only jets based there were T-33’s. I could tell instantly from the sound on takeoff if there was an ANG squadron with F-84’s visiting and I immediately ran outside to see one fly over. I knew the sound of the F-105 built at Republic and the Greyhounds and Hawkeyes built at Grumman. But it was the jets. I know folks living near JFK hate the noise but I have takeoffs and landings passing overhead and to this day find the jet noise soothing.

My sound is geese flying overhead. I did not grow up with it, but it imprinted itself on me the first time I heard it, and it stirs me every time now.