1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I Love My Teles......But 335's Are Special Too

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Feb 20, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I came across this video on YouTube, and found it interesting. VERY abbreviated view of an ES 335 being made, but still enjoyable. Really makes me wonder how a REAL Gibson 335's construction compares to my Grote copy, which is almost flawless. In this vid, they don't explore how the neck is made, how electronics and controls are truly installed, or a few other things.....but it's still cool.

2. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I hope the quality of current models has improved. I like all of this type of guitar but when I was shopping some years ago now I was disappointed to see Gibson asking same or more than Collings electrics that were superior.

That process was also really fun because I got to try a vintage 335 a friend owns and check out Dave's of Dave's. I liked the pickups in the old guitars and the Lollar Imperials more but think overdrive tone is more a thing since these were originally made.

Being GAS-free for years I wish the high end guitar makers all the best, and same for your GAS dreams coming true!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I owned a vintage 335 and sold it back in the 60s. Decades later I've got seller's remorse.

Dan German and nojazzhere like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some ES-335s are really special.

Too bad more of them aren't at least as good as a decent Tele.

VerySlowHand likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I can count on one hand the times I've played a 335, but I've always loved their LOOKS more than anything. The Grote version I recently bought easily scratches any itch I have for now.....for less than a TENTH of the price of a real 335.
    And, fifty years later, I STILL kick myself for not buying an ES 330 at a bargain price when I had the chance. :(

imwjl likes this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

as for liking teles but also 335's, my heritage h-535 is a secret telecaster. playing clean, I can go onto the bridge p-up and just dig in a bit and it sounds just like a tele, to me. without raising the volume!

that guitar amazes me every time I play out with it. I had a 335 for awhile and I think this one suits me better.

Torren61, imwjl and nojazzhere like this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

A flawless 335 is a gift from God.

I'm a little surprised that the woman spraying NC lacquer isn't wearing a respirator or gloves.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  8. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

335's are great sounding guitars but they unfortunately for me include all of Gibson's design flaws i.e. tilted back headstock, pitched back neck, glued in neck join. All these things make the guitar too fragile for me in a gigging situation.

9. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

The ES 335 is cool but I prefer my Eastman T185

thunderbyrd and nojazzhere like this.
  10. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not a good enough player to have a Gibson 335, so I get by with my Epiphone Dot. It's a beauty, plays and sounds great too. Quite pleased.

Sneaks and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

I’ve had 2 ES 335s a 339 and a 347. I loved them all. The 347 was elegant, the 335s were just wonderful fast necks and the 339 would have been my Fav if not for the neck dive. It just had an unbalanced feel with the neck and body but I loved the size of the body. Also toured the Memphis factory and saw them manufactured. Now, I have a Midtown Custom now which is not really in the same league but I love the neck even with the rich lite.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.