I love my acoustic.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Rich_S, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m an electric guitar player, have been since I started in 1973. I never had any interest in acoustics, but in 1989 I spent 7 months working in China. One of the few things we “foreign experts” did to pass the time was sit around drinking and trading songs. Not the environment for an electric. So when I got back, I decided I should have an acoustic just for hacking around, nothing really good or expensive. I looked at a low-end Martin, but wasn’t thrilled with the sound. In the end I found one I liked the sound of, and it was only slightly more money than I had planned to spend. I wasn’t wild about the fact that much of its price was going into bling: gold tuners, fancy inlays, ebony bridge, but I liked the sound and that’s what counts.

So I paid the princely sum of $425 for a Washburn D-21S. I didn’t know, or didn’t even care much about acoustic guitars, but by sheer dumb luck I got a good one. The “S” indicates a solid spruce top.

I’ve now had the Washburn for 30 years, and haven’t played it much, but I brought it along this week on a work trip. My co-worker and I spent last night in the hotel lounge, drinkin’ and passing the guitar back and forth. We agreed that this guitar sounds fantastic. Again, sheer dumb luck, but I lucked into a great guitar. Big booming sound. My buddy and I both think it sounds like a 12-string sometimes. Not sure how or why, but it does.

Looking at Reverb, D-21S’ are going for about $200-300. For that kinda money, there’s no point even considering selling it to upgrade.

I have little use for acoustic guitars, but on the rare occasions I want to play one, this Washburn makes me happy.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, I have a mid 70 's Fender of all things. Solid spruce top and rosewood body. F65. It's a killer dreadnaught. Great tone and loud. V neck. Not sure, but I suspect they were built by Yamaha. Got the Yam headstock. They sell cheap even that old.

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I go through phases where I turn all acousitc for a week or two. I love the sound of an acoustic, but you don't get the same volume nor do things like hammer-ons work out so well, so I end up back on the electric again.

I am going through a phase with a Godin Kingpin ll though (archtop with dual P90's) at the moment that has lasted more than a month...really fun instrument to play. At some point I will end up back with my family of telecasters, I just have to get this phase out of my system for awhile.

I thing sharing some time with an acoustic makes you a better player in the long run, no need to hide from it.

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

My first guitar was a Mountain acoustic in 1984. Mountain guitars were Japanese knockoffs of the super expensive Martins. It’s still my only acoustic. Many people say the Mountains were at least the equivalent of Martins. I only toyed with it back then, and have since moved to electric. But I love to pick it up now and then.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I play my acoustic more than my electrics. I usually learn and practice everything on my acoustic with 12's before playing it on electric. Clean stuff sounds so much better on acoustic but with a low action you can play just about anything on an acoustic, fast lead, bends if you change the g string out, hammer ons etc.

If for some cruel reason I could own only one guitar it would be a acoustic.
    I'd have to mod it with a pickup or two.

brookdalebill and Milspec like this.
  6. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

I'm chiming in, because I bought a Washburn acoustic 3 1/2 years ago.

I played about 30 guitars that day, but I kept coming back to the Washburn, and still think it sounds fantastic every time I pick it up.

Mike

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I started out on electric too, but my first acoustic improved my strumming and rhythm playing by a quantum leap. I play both daily and work on projects with both daily. I now have a reso that in some way is a whole different thing in itself and workout on it daily too. As my Eastman parlor ages, it is becoming warmer and more woody sounding.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Washburn is a good old name in the guitar world. I'd hang on to that guitar.

I play acoustics at least half the time, sometimes more. My "collection" reflects that: 4 acoustics, 5 electrics.

9. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

I love my Taylor 414

Spruce top sings beautifully- African back and sides - I have it strung with phosphorus bronze 10’s

It has a great DI

Wonderful guitar

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Since I sold my original Epiphone ( bought it when I was 17-now 64) I haven't found one that comes close. My Taylor 214 CE comes close but doesn't fit my body as well.

11. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Sold my martin but Kept the Cort earth 1200 Sounds better (to me ) !

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been playing this 3/4 nylon stringer a lot lately.... all of 60 bucks worth and it's a real beauty...

sounds full and deep and stays in tune forever.... a Lorden... left over from when I was teaching kids, had it 3 or 4 yrs now.... I nearly left it at the school, but I'm glad I hung onto it...

DSCN2184.JPG

P Thought and Tommy Biggs like this.
  13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Me too!
    I feel kind of bad for the folks that ‘never got into’ playing acoustic. To each his own...

14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I've played both since I started back in 1970. There is music that suits each of the guitar types. There's no better way to work up the calluses before a big run than playing acoustic.

Bob

15. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

acoustic is all I play now after 50+ years of mainly electric and acoustic instruments are such a joy and blessing for me...just bought an a style mandolin and can't put it down, it can take any genre to a whole new universe...

orangeblossom likes this.
  16. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I usually grab an acoustic when I am in the creative mood to write. Very useful!

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I started on acoustic.
    I play electric as an amusement.
    I am a rhthym acoustic player who sings harmony.
    It's good to know that.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My acoustic is a Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood. Not cheap but not expensive for what it is. I can’t imagine not having a good acoustic. I’ll always be an electric player first. Chording at the 10th fret and higher is so much easier and hammer ons and pull offs sound out loud and clear but I still take out my S&P at least once a week. Are there better acoustics than mine out there? I’m sure there are but I’ve never found one that called out to me like this one.

Random1643 likes this.
  19. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I started playing on an acoustic and played strictly acoustic for a lot of years. I started with a Framus and then got a Norman 12-string. I love that Norman. Now I bounce back and forth between it and a Martin D-15M that I bought a few years ago. I enjoy my electrics but I love the acoustics. (Being an old folkie helps.)

JL_LI likes this.
  20. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve been mainly an acoustic player since I started in 1971. I love playing my Tele with any kind of band or even by myself, but a Gibson flattop gets most of my attention around the house.

orangeblossom and elihu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.