1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I love good winter driving

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

The title says it all. The best thing man can do with his pants on. How about you guys?

5C43EB03-6F3B-4B29-8B46-3AF484FBDC90.jpeg

gtrwrks, Old Plank, dented and 7 others like this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

No good winter driving pics of my own, but this has been my year for watching YouTube rallying videos and wishing I afford this killer vacation activity:

I like the feel of a car/truck in snow myself. My wife is an utterly competent driver but makes noises like I’m being stupid and macho for wanting to drive in snow rather than wait for the salt & plow trucks.

What’s her deal?

buster poser and richiek65 like this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's cool if the other drivers know how to drive on snow, but my experience is they don't. I suppose that might not be the case when you go way up north.

Telecastoff1 and BobbyZ like this.
  4. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Holic

driving is so twentieth century.

5. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

When it snows first I drive to town in my old rear wheel drive BMW. Then get into one of these to plow the road, to try to keep the people with all wheel drives out of the ditch.
    They still wind up in the ditch. . . . download (13).jpeg

6. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just one more reason to own a front wheel drive with an e-brake! My little go cart Nissan is a blast in the snow.

stepvan and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  7. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I don't mind driving around in winter snow conditions at all. But you do have to watch out for the idiots that don't know how to drive in the white stuff.

8. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

My 1st car was a beater '59 Ford Galaxy. Sure was fun doing donuts in cul-de-sacs and empty lots:rolleyes: Driving in deep snow it sounded like a boat, don't think it ever got stuck.

Telecastoff1 and dented like this.
  9. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

The thing about driving in the snow is the fact you really need to keep up an even and steady pace. It never fails I get behind the bonehead driving 5 miles an hour with the emergency blinkers on.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Telecastoff1, stepvan, dented and 2 others like this.
  10. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

How about doing donuts with a tractor?

dougstrum likes this.
  11. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Thanks, but no thanks. I spent my HS and College years in Nebraska, relocated to Germany for 5 years, returned to Nebraska for 7 years and then moved to Florida. Since then, I have rarely went North of the Florida state line between the months of November and May, and then only as far as the Franklin/Ashville, North Carolina region. Except: Since 2014, my wife has had several extended (6-18 month) field assignments to Anchorage Alaska during which I have flown up for 8-10 day visits, sometimes during winter months....she drives, and it's always a rental AWD SUV. I was on-board one night when, returning home from a friends house , a Toyota casually slid through a stop sign on ice and, as the driver looked at us through his window with that "deer in the headlights" expression, we T-boned his car. Luckily, there were no personal injuries and much more damage to his car than to ours. He was so apologetic as we were tending to him and his 2 other passengers, and it was such a pleasure for us to assure him "No problems, Man. Ours is a rental car . "

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The boneheads doing 70mph aren't much fun either. Somewhere between is the right speed, but that really changes form one storm to the next and more so from one vehicle to the next.
    Actually with the Mini Cooper I drove last winter 5 mph was probably too fast. Horrible little car, felt like the rear end wanted to lead the way.

electrichead likes this.
  13. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I enjoy it when I’m on the road by myself. My favorite car for this was an 86 SAAB 900T. After we moved to Ohio in ‘07, I would be giddy, charging up the alley behind the house, using the handbrake for a pseudo limited slip differential, looking for hills to climb. I miss that car. The snow opportunities are far fewer now that I’m back in the sunbelt.

14. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Musti, the only thing to make it even better would be some Beatles tunes blaring on your car stereo!

15. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

When we had a small amount of snow in the UK and our local Facebook road condition page came up I suggested it was great opportunity to practice some oversteer slides to learn skid control .I was shouted down as a boy racer ,a maniac etc.I replied that learning how to control a skidding sliding car could safe your life .No one agreed with me .Oh well.

16. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Winter driving is the best, but like all driving, it’s only fun when no one else is around.

18. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You Finns do winter driving better than anyone. Other types too per the F1/WRC rolls. ;)

bottlenecker likes this.
  19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

On snow is about the only time I get any pleasure out of driving four wheels. I also enjoy motorcycling and bicycling on snow.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I love to drive ( driven over 1 million miles, BEFORE becoming an Uber Driver in 2016), but honestly, am now, NO GOOD in snow driving.

It's not that I'm a bad snow driver, but I have a bad back, poor balance ( aging!, if I fall on ice, I cannot get up),
    and I get completely stressed and anxious now when I'm anywhere near the prospect of driving in the snow.

Part of it is living in Northern Virginia where we have more of a freeze>thaw>refreeze issue on roads, black ice vs. huge snow accumulations.
    Plus a huge, sprawling metro population, many folks who have NO idea what to do in snowy weather.

So for my own health and nerves, I have to avoid it- used to love it as a younger man

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.