I Love Craigslist - and here is why

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

There have been several recent threads complaining about Craigslist. So I thought I would post this. Many people dislike or are suspicious of Craigslist, and that's fine. But I have been using CL steadily for more than 10 years and have bought and sold many, many dozens of items, and I don't think I have had a single bad experience. I buy everything used, and when I'm done with it I re-sell it and usually get my money back, sometimes more. If you're patient, anything you want eventually pops up. It certainly can be annoying sometimes, but I think it mostly depends on your attitude. Here are a dozen tips for how I make Craigslist work for me:

1. Until the transaction has been made, nothing is guaranteed. Nobody has to buy what you're selling, or accept your terms. Nobody owes you anything.
    2. Everything is negotiable. People can ask for anything they want, and so can you. No need to get all bent out of shape. Not what you want? Just say no.
    3. You will get low-ball offers. Just ignore, delete, or politely say no. Also keep in mind that sometimes low-ball offers are made because many sellers ask way too much for their items, so sellers sometimes play games too. Don't be like that. Also, I have found that sometimes low-ballers are actually willing to come way up from their first offer. It doesn't hurt to talk.
    4. Buyers will flake out. Just accept the fact that only about 1 out of 5 people who contact you will actually follow through. Refer to #1 above.
    5. People will ask if your item is still available. For some reason this really seems to piss people off. Don't let it. Just give the answer. The reason people ask that is because the majority of items listed for sale on CL are actually not still available. People forget to take their ad down, or whatever. When I inquire about an item listed for sale, I only get a response back about 1/3 of the time. Oh well.
    6. Should you let people come to your house? I do. For instruments and amps, people generally want to play and listen to them. Secondly, what are you afraid of? That they will rob you? Well, maybe, but why would they? It would be a dumb thing for them to do since it would be pretty easy to catch them because there is an email or text message record of who they are.
    7. Should you go to someone else's house? Sure, why not? Same as above, are you afraid they'll rob you? That would be pretty dumb.
    8. People may want you to drive to meet them somewhere. It's up to you how far you're willing to drive. If I'm selling a $10 item it won't be too far. But I've driven up to an hour to close a major sale.
    9. If you have any doubts at all, TALK to the person. I almost always talk directly on the phone to someone, or have a detailed email exchange, to sense how serious and reliable a person is. Serious buyers will ask questions, and want to know the details. If someone strikes me as a flake or suspicious in any way, I just drop it. But that hardly ever happens.
    10. Know the market value of your item. If you are unsuccessful selling your item, it's probably because you are asking too much $$$. You can easily research on ebay, Reverb, etc, to find general market value for anything. Many items on CL are way, way overpriced, and the ads sit there forever. Others items are gone instantly. If you want to sell something, price it fairly and someone will buy it.
    11. If you are selling, re-post or renew your item often. On CL, ads are displayed with newest first. The older your ad is, the farther down the list it will be. If you are in a big market, you will drop far down very quickly. Renew or re-post every week.
    12. Craigslist is better than online marketplaces like ebay or Reverb, because you avoid the cost and hassle of packing and shipping, avoid commission fees, and it gives you the chance to meet other musicians in your area. I have had a lot of good discussions, and learned a lot, from talking to the people I buy/sell with. They are usually people very similar to me.

2. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I agree with all of the above. Except that I don't sell $10 items, so with rare exceptions I always meet someone at a public place that's convenient for both us, usually a gas station or such. I have a portable amp that runs on batteries. And I give a 24 hour no-questions-asked return policy, if what I sold you isn't what you want, bring it back. But what I don't have the time to try to divine the psychological makeup or intentions of someone I intend to know for all of about 10 minutes. But that's me.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh, yup!

getbent likes this.
  4. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Great post! I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on CL and no bad experiences.

birddog01 and getbent like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've never had any real issues either and I buy/sell a lot. People are people and I knew that well before CL came along.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve never sold on CL but I’ve bought 3 guitars and a drawer full of pickups as well as mobility things for my dad and my in-laws. I’m a fan.

I’ve had sellers flake out on several occasions but the ones I’ve done deals with have been fine. I’m always on CL looking for my next guitar, neck, body, pickups, etc...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

been buying and selling lots of stuff for years- probably 50 + transactions- nothing bad yet to report

getbent and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  8. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

CL is great if you're living in a large city. If you're living in a small city in a not too prosperous area like I do it's kind of worthless. You can sell stuff up to about $400 but after that forget it.

JayFreddy and Wildcard_35 like this.
  9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I agree with the OP above, CL works. Through text/voice you can pretty easily determine what kind of person you are dealing with and I've had people over to the house, inside to buy a guitar or into the garage for an amp/cabinet exchange.

I think the world is more fear driven than ever before but the vast majority of people are nice and just want to get along. Be smart, be cordial, have fun. If there's some questions about whom you're meeting, go public,,,no problem.

CL has competition with results for me the last 6 months. Facebook marketplace has gotten us the last few things sold including my daughters car last week when there was not much movement on CL.

Don't forget, some people just enjoy complaining :)

ROADMAN, getbent and Wildcard_35 like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I pretty much agree with the OP. Around here though, the CL is DOA. I've seen items both general and musical sit on the CL until their beards were hanging out of my computer screen clear down on my desk. My BNL has had a Tele on the CL for over a month without a even a nibble, if it were any other kind of guitar I wouldn't think anything about it; But a Tele? I've got some sporting equipment I will sell, but I'll wait until the spring to list it, that's the best time for that kind of stuff.

11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Good list & thought process in general...#6 is the only one I have issues with, unless they’re somebody I personally know, they aren’t coming in. I own too much stuff they don’t need to see or know about

bcorig likes this.
  12. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just sold a car on CL. Buyer flew in to collect the purchase. Knew from our ad the price was right.

13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It cracks me up when I see things like, "I am so done with craigslist", etc. It's not like craigslist is setting up deals, making deals, lowballing, being flaky, etc. All craigslist does is introduce buyers and sellers. "I am so done with people" is a more appropriate comment. And of course, we have to deal with people every day and this hasn't changed since the day of creation, so....

I've had success and disasters via craigslist, but it was the people on the other end of the deal who caused the deals to be either successful or disastrous.

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have no patience for CL. My attitude is that it's rarely worth my time and effort for any "deal" I might get. Even when the transaction can be considered good. That goes for both buying and selling. Some folks thrive on the buy/sell rigmarole. Me, not so much. I've sold one thing on FB marketplace recently. It went good. Every other transaction I've had has been annoying at best, and frustrating and anger producing at worst. Just not a process I'm fond of at all.

15. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Some really good attitudes on / practices with respect to Craigslist. I totally agree. Except I don't think it's better than online marketplaces such as Reverb. Despite the fees and such, I much prefer Reverb.

Thanks!

16. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I like Craigslist. Sure, it's full of flakes and weirdos, because the world is. Many of the same people you deal with in traffic every day.

I've made some great deals -- Original Roland Blues Cube 60 for $125, Squier Strat + Peavey practice amp + Tweed case for $60, Classic Vibe BSB for $175, Alesis DM5 Pro electric drum kit for $25 etc etc.

It's fun to find the deals, and you have to be ready to jump when you see them.

17. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I've always had good experiences with CL. Every now and then you talk to a time-waster, but in the long run it's better than not being able to sell a thing I'd like to get rid of.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

^ Same here. Never really had a single problem, and I do the CL thing all the time.

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

There are so many horror stories that the police have had to set up safe zones for CL transactions to protect the public .

20. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

I found a 69 drip edge Princeton Reverb for $700 about 4 years ago.

A Gibson '63 GA19RVT for $375 that had been gone over by a Tech, w/receipt. Whisper quiet.

Several large HVAC machines for half price.

Sold a bunch, too. Get lots of pictures and go or no/go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.